• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Big Bores....

Re: Big Bores....

On closer inspection I didnt think florescent lighting was available until the 1930s, years after WWI.

All ways love a piece of our great history
smile.gif
thanks for sharing!

Definitely gonna have to take into account the Coriolis effect for one of those. LOL

Cool picture, I remember an old machinist telling me about the belts and pulleys in the overhead of old machine shops. The plank floor is pretty cool, these days it would be concrete.
SScott

The War Machine at work.
RT51, Thank you for posting it. Do you have any history on the photo?
Some 30 plus years ago, I went through my tool and die apprenticeship. The men who trained me back then were in their 60's and use to talk about the belt drive machinery they used when they were young. I saw a lot of ragged "tool box" photos back then, but none in high res like this.
Thanks again,
DS

outstanding pic!
I've alway's wondered how they made those battleship gun's.
Do you have anymore to post?

I think that's Krupp SteelWorks from Germany. I'm sure everyone here has seen the Thyssen-Krupp Elevator Vans driving around here in America. Before the merger and in world war 1 and 2 they were a HUGE arms manufacturer and I don't mean small arms either. I'm talking about the big goliath guns on the beaches and on the railroads.

Probably not Germany, looks like an American flag in the background. Pretty cool picture, thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably not Germany, looks like an American flag in the background. Pretty cool picture, thanks for sharing. </div></div>

Yes, It is an American Flag in the background

That's one awesome pic! I'm a machinist by trade and have always heard about the old belt driven machines and how dangerous they were. Now I know why! Look at the drive belts that are stretched out over these guys heads to put power to the drive pulleys on these machines. Those belts could grab you with just one wrong move or if one broke and slap you. Man, no thanks! That's just a accident waiting to happen. I'm glad that technology has brought the safety factor of machine tools up about a million percent in the last 70 years!

Cool piece of history though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably not Germany, looks like an American flag in the background. Pretty cool picture, thanks for sharing. </div></div>

where do you see an U.S.A. flag ??

The flag's at the top of the machine in the center. Not sure if it's a VTL or horizontal mill. I'm from machinist/toolmaker background also and can appreciate the old machines. The machine shop at the Naval Shipyard here had what looked like vertical wooden blocks for the floor. I was told it had something to do with vibration dampening "back in the day". Thanks for posting the pic!

pretty awesome pic.

Edit:

FMC here in Minneapolis used to, or still does, produce large caliber barrels for the DoD.

I've always wanted to work in a weapons factory. This looks like a good one. wonder if its still around?