• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big case 338 questions

Bradb_33541

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
USA
In the future I am looking to build a fast 338 rather than a 375 due to the improved external ballistics and the development of the Bartlien barrel material that helps extend barrel life. I want to run a 300 grain Lazer at ~3200 FPS and the 275 grain Lazer or the Superbulldozer 2 at around ~3300 FPS. With a long barrel (34-36”) I expect to achieve this with a cheytac variety case such as a standard necked down 338-375 cheytac or the improved snipetac, utilizing this longer barrel I have thought about using a 33xc with a cheytac sized action and lapua boltface in order to midigate the pressure barrier some folks are hitting; however I am unsure If this is will achieve the velocity desired without stressing the brass. My reasoning for looking at a smaller case is to try to maintain some sort if efficiency rather than using 145 grains or more powder for an extra 75 fps. This leads me to the 338 enabelr, it was marketed to have 3200 fps with a 300 grain bullet out of a 30” barrel this sounds about like the case capacity I would want to work with (130 grains usable). However I ask of you all of some tangible data rather than from the marketing team. What sort of velocity are the users actually getting? How is the cartridge treating you, or is there a better option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot 300gr bullets at 3075fps with a .338LM Improved40 with a 36" barrel. If you want to get to 3200fps, you're going to have to go with a Cheytac-sized cartridge. 33XC will get you a little bit more velocity with the same length barrel, but you're not getting to 3200fps safely.

The Enabler cartridges don't seem to have caught on, but at this point why move up to a larger system for an extra 100-150fps when you can get there with a standard .338-sized action? I'm a big fan of the .338LM Improved40, but it can be annoying to form brass when 33XC is already out there and gives you a bit more to work with.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Quickload says you might get close with .33XC a 40" barrel and AR2218 (H50BMG)
1681140649296.png

I don’t intend any offense when I think that you’re the most recent person in line, waiting for the wizard to show you the magic sauce that gives you just that right ballistic combination that beats everything else out there by just thinking hard and long enough about it

No offense taken, Im just new to this community and was wondering what sort of input you all have compared to the other folks I have spoken to.

I sold a 338 edge +p a little over a year ago. 31” bbl. guy I sold to is getting 3147 with 300gr Bergers and N570. Not sure about all the other magic-sauce out there, but the +p throat definitely added some spunk to an already great cartridge.

Reactions: Chas_97
I sold a 338 edge +p a little over a year ago. 31” bbl. guy I sold to is getting 3147 with 300gr Bergers and N570. Not sure about all the other magic-sauce out there, but the +p throat definitely added some spunk to an already great cartridge.
Thats pretty impressive, about how much N570 is it using?

If you don't mind me asking, does his COAL force him to single feed, or can they mag feed?
I had the rifle built on a single shot BAT HR Action, so it’s a single shot any way you go. If I were doing it again, I’d get ahold of Ken at Salmon River Solutions and pick up one of their extremely long COAL bottom metal setups (they may only be available through Unknown Munitions??? -they’re in the same building now either way) it’s the longest I’m aware of close to 4”.
Edit: just checked and it’s 3.950 max coal

Last edited: