• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big damn helicopter

Re: Big damn helicopter

I've seen one in person at a museum of aviation outside Moscow (Monino). The photos don't do it justice... the thing is HUGE. It dwarfs the Mi-8 which is a big damn helicopter in it's own right.

Damn - that thing is a beast. Russians seem to like big helicopters.

Yeah, the Mi-26 makes a -47 and a -53 look like a tinker toy.
There is a really cool photo somewhere of a Mi-26 sling loading a trashed -47 out of a desert somewhere.

Shows the difference in size.

as a former HH-60H electrician, DAMN! there is a lot of room to sit in that engine cowling!

Other day on Military Channel one of their top ten lists had this on it. One was sling lifting a Hind and it looked like a toy below it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a really cool photo somewhere of a Mi-26 sling loading a trashed -47 out of a desert somewhere. </div></div>

8486d1189698194-russia-unveils-father-all-bombs-mi-26_ch-47_afghanistan_recovery.jpg

Max takeoff weight a couple thousand pounds higher than a DC9-50...

I've flown in them a few times and damn are they big lumbering beasts. Interesting to see them stack three armored F350s in the back, and the driver standing on the brakes on the last one because he's on the ramp!

They're also easy targets for RPGs and MG fire when flying low through the passes or coming in to land. There's been at least a couple I know of that have gone in.