• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Hey Ya'll from Georgia

henry1954

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2014
Hello all, I've been following SH for a year now,, wanted to step up an d say hey. I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 and a 400 rounds of ammo. Hope to give it a test drive next week. I was trained as a Police combat firearms instructor back in 1976 at the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy. Back in the day the NRA sent instructors to teach the classes and I received my NRA and State certification for pistol, shotgun and rifle, all at the same time. I try to stay active at the range as often as possible and as often as the pocketbook allows for ammo. It is amazing how expensive ammo has gotten, back in 1975 I could buy a box of 50, Winchester .357 sjhp's for $5 and change. But that was the then and today we live in a different world completely.

Anyway, not to ramble here, but I bought the rifle to try and get back to doing some longer distance shooting, my AR is good to 300 to 350 yards but I was hoping to test out the eyes and see how well the old dog can see through new optics. I put a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5:16X40 scope on it. I'll see next week if I can get out past 350 any more.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's posts about their tack driver builds and looking forward to becoming wiser from your collective shared wisdom on shooting.

God bless America!

Hello all, I've been following SH for a year now .....
From one new guy to another - welcome. I enjoyed your post. I basically did the same thing you did for a year. Read, learned, and laid low. It's a great website. Some very knowledgeable and committed folks here.

But that was the then and today we live in a different world completely.
No kidding ....... wow. Who woulda thunk it eh?

God bless America!
Ditto!

I know Ted Wynn E911 and EMA Director over in Bulloch. Good hog hunting down that way, Duluth has my favorite store, Bass Pro.

I know Ted Wynn E911 and EMA Director over in Bulloch. Good hog hunting down that way, Duluth has my favorite store, Bass Pro.

right on, we'll have to do a hide meetup one day and go hit the range somewere - assuming the union doesn't ship me off to plant vogtle in the next coming weeks-

I'd be interested in a meet up...in Norcross from Camp Pendleton.

know of any good places to shoot? i just went over to gariflerange or w/e its called over in marietta, it was okay... but bench over, and two cramped rifle ranges, plus i think its only 75 yards.

i would really like to check out creekside or something within a hours drive.

i don't have my good scope anymore so im just running a cheap ole 7x bushnell. so anything out past 200 part not be to fun for me =\

I go down to Charlie Elliot, WMA facility. They have two ranges a 50 and 100 yrds. It's free but you have to have a GA WMA license which is $19 year or a couple of bucks for a three day pass. They even have a shotgun range. It's just outside Mansfield, closed on Sunday and Monday. I'd really like to find a longer range but no luck so far. It's one thing to sight in and shoot 100 yrds. but I'd really like to be able to reach on out there an touch a target, 300 to 500 yards would be great.

I have my first ever deer hunt coming up November 20 through 22nd. Either sex at Charlie Elliot. Don't know what to expect since I've never been deer hunting before. Need to find a mentor that can walk me through the process. Would love to meet up somewhere sometime if your able, just let me know.

River Bend Gun Club (RBGC) is worth a look.. that's where I was shooting while living in Marietta. They have 100, 200, 300, 600 yard rifle ranges and a pit for 2, 3, and 6.

I'll check them our, wondering if they allow day passes or visitors? Last I checked they were asking for $600 + a year for membership, granted it looks like a very nice place, but $600 buys a lot of ammo. Know of any discounts?

Called them today and found out that Wednesdays they are open to the public from 2 until 8 pm. I plan on going down next Wednesday to check the place out. Will post up after with a review of what I find out.

Bill