• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Horn Origin and RimX users

ManUtdManiac

MOS 9999 (unlucky cocksucker)
Banned !
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2020
    Hey all,

I'm getting two barreled actions from PVA - an Origin and a RimX. They will both go into a Sentinel stock from KMW.

I had one of the original BIg Horn tactical actions years ago but was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into how well the RimX could be a training platform for the Origin. The orders are in, so nothing's going to change, just wanting so read up on anyone's experiences while I wait.

Cheers,

Having several rigs with the r700 footprint I never thought about just using the same stock for all. It would save me a lot of money but I like having multiple rifles. No sir, I wouldn’t put both custom barreled actions in the same sentinel stock. Go ahead and splurge on a second stock so you don’t have to swap out barreled actions every time you wanna shoot. Treat yourself a little. If that’s not in your present budget just save up and get another stock when you have more money. Trust me on this one, it’s better to have complete rifles 👍

That's interesting, I actually thought it would be better to use the same stock. Budget's not an issue for getting a second stock, but now I'm wondering if the sentinel is the stock I want to double down on ( I had bought the Sentinel a few years ago for another build that didn't happen).

Mind telling me what the challenge would be for using the same stock please? Just the hassle of swapping them out? The sentinel doesn't have any bedding. I went with the metal bedding frame (can't recall the name) so there won't be the risk of the bedding being damaged, or the stock. If I torque wrench the actions upon install what's going to be the difference?

Both actions will have an M24 barrel profile, 24" length and same (I believe) trigger - diamond trigger tech. Only difference will be the 6.5CM on the Origin will have a PVA break.

I would appreciate your thoughts in this thread then...

i'd run the same stock in both. that's the point of a trainer

swapping 2 action screws isn't a pain if you have a close 50 and 100 and range. not ideal but it's fine

centerfire (will be a manner TCS). TL3, razor gen2
    rimfire (current PRS1) rimx, strike eagle

I've done what you're wanting to do with several stocks/chassis and various barreled actions.
    It's doable - but it's more convenient to have your trainer setup as a complete second rifle - ready to go without swapping anything.

I've found that on longer range sessions I like to switch off between rifles. This lets my match rifle cool down some.
    But also, as my skills have improved I am now more focused when I go to the range. I don't just show up to shoot, I show up to practice a specific skill.
    This past Tuesday I focused on NPA. This morning I continued focusing on NPA, but also spent time with magazine manipulations. Today was a longer range session and I shot 60 rounds from one rifle. But instead of switching rifles I probably did 3 or 4 times that number of dryfires from those positions.