• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Big West Texas Boar

jcalaustx

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Austin, TX
Shot him last Saturday at our place in West Texas. Big boy.

11i36hf.jpg

Re: Big West Texas Boar

Man I wish we had hogs that big at our place! I don't think we have any over 250. Anyways, congrats! What did y'all take him down with?

Suppressed 300wsm, head shot, 240 yards from above (hunt from cliff rim and glass a wide area below). Fun stuff.

I've eaten plenty of hog. Think it tastes better than pork if cooked right.

I'm in San Antonio! Take me hog hunting!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> are they any good to eat....???? </div></div>
I've never eaten one myself, and I don't plan to, but I know a lot of people that have and they all say that the smaller ones taste the best. I'm guessing they're talking about ones that are <100 pounds.

I killed many a hog, but don't fancy the meat other than back strap. Use it for a sausage grind at end of Deer season. Now, the piglets are tender, and the loin isn't bad. Especially if they're eating off your Deer feeder....

Too bad you didn't do a hind quarter wounding shot, this way, you could have caught up to him and stuck a blade in his neck.

No way we would have found this guy with anything but the head shot (I was the shooter here; shot him in the eye!). He was big and his head and chest plate were ridiculously solid. No way you'd want to eat or even clean this thing. Musky and covered with ticks. Fun to drop in this tracks though.

I bet he was over 300lbs.

About eating them, IMO, the males are never really any good and the females are fair if they're young and small (<85lbs). In our area they are omnivores so in addition to the normal things feral pigs eat, they also eat meat and old, rotten meat at that. They're land buzzards.

Regarding this guy, his skin/hair was literally alive with ticks, mites, fleas, and every other available bug in the county and he lived a life without deodorant and toilet paper and smelled like it. Pretty appetizing.

MS has some biguns too..saw one last year that looked like a moving sideways big garbage can with short stubby legs..couldnt get a shot at him but shot one of the trailing pigs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcalaustx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet he was over 300lbs.

About eating them, IMO, the males are never really any good and the females are fair if they're young and small (<85lbs). In our area they are omnivores so in addition to the normal things feral pigs eat, they also eat meat and old, rotten meat at that. They're land buzzards.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Regarding this guy, his skin/hair was literally alive with ticks, mites, fleas, and every other available bug in the county and he lived a life without deodorant and toilet paper and smelled like it. Pretty appetizing.</span>
</div></div>

That really made me LOL. Ha ha ha!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcalaustx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet he was over 300lbs.

Regarding this guy, his skin/hair was literally alive with ticks, mites, fleas, and every other available bug in the county and he lived a life without deodorant and toilet paper and smelled like it. Pretty appetizing.
</div></div>

mmmm. What time is dinner? 300lbs I dont know much about pigs, but that seems big. Good job.

What part of west Texas. We hunt the Sanderson area and the pigs are getting close. Just wondering how close

We're at least 100 miles north east of Sanderson where the hill country and west Texas meet. Lots of deep, impenentrable canyons with tons of cedar for the pigs to hide and thrive.

Your part of the world could be spared of the feral pig problems because there isn't a lot of heavy cover for them to disappear into.