• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bighorn extractor removal

Push the pin in the middle of the extractor down and slide the extractor toward the firing pin. Be careful as the retaining pin may shoot out if you don’t keep something over it.

Thanks. I was trying that earlier but non of my punches are small enough so I was using a small nail. I guess I wasn’t pushing it far enough

Thanks. I was trying that earlier but non of my punches are small enough so I was using a small nail. I guess I wasn’t pushing it far enough

I did the same thing. The pin is cone shape so you have to push it in a lot. I had you use a screwdriver from eyeglasses repair kit.

Push the pin in the middle of the extractor down and slide the extractor toward the firing pin. Be careful as the retaining pin may shoot out if you don’t keep something over it.

That's the truth! I will usually put the entire bolt head and the tool I'm using into a clear plastic bag, so that everything stays contained if that little spring and plunger decide to take flight.

Reactions: K80/6.5 and Casey_H
Take a paper clip, and bend it a bit so you have a straight pointy end, and the rest of the paper clip to grab/hold onto. Compress the extractor spring follower by pushing down through the hole in the extractor. I usually slide the extractor outward, away from the firing pin. You have to continue to keep the spring follower depressed while you are sliding the extractor out. Just take care not to let the spring or follower shoot across the room.

When you have disassembled it, you will see how the spring and follower keep the extractor in place while allowing it to slide back and forth slightly. It's a cool design. Re-installing the extractor is much easier than removing it, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: acronut
Thanks for asking the question and for giving the answer guys. Love this site

I know this is an old thread but its worth a shot. I damaged my extractor spring and BH wants $20 for a repair kit and $15 to ship it. Do you guys know of any other options?

I know this is an old thread but its worth a shot. I damaged my extractor spring and BH wants $20 for a repair kit and $15 to ship it. Do you guys know of any other options?

Not sure on suitable replacement spring. Does that kit come with a replacement extractor? Price seems high for a spring.

Not sure on suitable replacement spring. Does that kit come with a replacement extractor? Price seems high for a spring.

If it's the same kit I bought a while back it includes the extractor, spring, and detent.

Just go ahead and order it from BH. No need to be cheap on this and risk ejection failure down the along with the headache of troubleshooting.

Yeah, $15 does seem high for shipping though, maybe offer to send them a prepaid USPS priority label? On the plus side, you're getting your top-notch custom action back in working order for $35 bucks and minimal downtime, so it shouldn't be too hard a pill to swallow.

Reactions: Digetydog