• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bikers

Re: Bikers

I could be wrong, but didn't the bike run the light?

I would havd chased down the car and punched the drivers lights out! As a rider, seeing stuff like this pisses me off.

I always get real paranoid at intersections when I see vehicles, especailly SUV's and minivans. Females are the worst offenders too with their stupid damn cell phones texting. I would think about punching a drivers lights out, but it's just not worth the followon hassle from John Law. Of course following them to wherever they park if you are just out for a ride and not on a mission then relieving their tires of air is always fun with a valve wrench

I had a guy in a Ford F-250 pull out in front of me last year. I'm done riding on public streets. Too many morons for me to trust my life on a bike.

Im not going to quit riding because of idiots on the streets. My riding buddies and I educate them one punch at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not going to quit riding because of idiots on the streets. My riding buddies and I educate them one punch at a time. </div></div>

I used to think the same thing then I realized after having one too many close calls that I wasn't to blame for it's hard to punch anyone when you're dead.

It looks like in the video above that the rider made an unprotected left turn in front of oncoming traffic. He did not have the arrow, otherwise he would not have hesitated when the other traffic moved forward from a stop. If the intersection had an arrow, it appears he arrived too late to trip the sensor and no other car was in front of him to trip the sensor.

Glad he came out OK though.

That's the way it looked to me as well.
The lights around here don't work the way he was working them.

Left turners get an arrow, then a yield green.

A car turned left from opposing traffic early, before he got there. That car would have been given a green arrow at the same time any left turn traffic on the biker's side would have. There were no left turners ahead of the bike on his side, so sensors would have switched off the biker's green arrow well before the opposing traffic's arrow was switched off.

Straight and right traffic was flowing freely on the biker's side, so it was certainly green on the opposing side for straight traffic as well.

The biker thought he was clear and took off. He either failed to see the SUV coming through or he tried to beat it.

Either way, completely his fault. Not the SUV driver's.

Looks to me like the car ran a red light. No biker is dumb enough to make a turn like that when it is not his turn.

Maybe i missed something here, but...The camera is pointed in the direction of his head. The SUV comes in to view well before he is in front of it. You can tell well before he gets there that the SUV is going to continue through the intersection. Why continue on a path that is going to take him in front of it?

I ride. I ride very defensively. I would have steered right and slowed and allowed the suv to pass in front of me. Right or wrong, the suv is bigger and will do a lot more damage to him then he would to it. He MAY have had the "right of way" however is it worth getting hit because he is being no smarter then the other driver?

I almost creamed some douche bag on a sport bike last week. I had my right blinker on and was making a lane change from left to right. Just as I'm about to cross the dotted the line this douche nozzle comes screaming up the dotted line and blows past my mirror with about 3" of space between him and my mirror. Dumb bastard was in shorts and no helmet, he almost lost control of his bike as well, I would've had no sympathy.

I'm all for motorcycles and want one of my own, but some riders are dumb as can be.

DLq86.jpg

Lets look at this.Who rides around with a helmet cam? I think this was staged.I have been riding the streets for over 30yr. and yes people suck. Both the car drivers and wannabe "bikers"(the shirtless crotchrocket fool). The only difference is the Biker takes the harder hit. Ride like everybody is going to do the wrong thing.And ride sober! It's hard enough to dodge the assholes without being shitfaced.
Scot

I'm not gonna post anything nearly as fancy as Tucker, but I have to disagree with some and say that he did have a green light. It's difficult to tell for sure, but it looks to me like when he turned he had a green light. When he got there, you can see his light is red. When he takes off, it's green and the SUV would be running (presumably) her light. My screencaps:

Biker.jpg

Where I'm from, when you have a green light in the turn lane or a green arrow, the oncoming traffic has a red light. The exceptions are the double stoplights, that have one red light, a green and yellow "go" and "caution" on (typically) the right side, and green and yellow arrows on (typically) the left. When the turn arrow is green, the oncoming traffic has a red light. When the turn arrows are dark and the other green light is on, oncoming traffic has green lights and you should exercise caution.

It looked to me like he had a green light in his own turn lane. When the SUV driver was coming down the road, momentarily looking up from her cellphone, she saw the light was green and assumed it would stay so. Hers would have changed to red as his was changing to green, so he went and she didn't look back up to see that her light had actually turned red. He <span style="font-style: italic">did</span> look when he took off, and I don't know that he would have had enough time to alter his course without laying the bike down. That probably would have been more dangerous than hitting the gas and hoping to beat the impact - it was good thinking on his part and probably saved him a lot of pain. That's what I think happened anyway.

*I use gender-specific pronouns not as insults, but to reflect what I see in a typical day's commute. It very well could have been some dude in the SUV, but I typically see more women than men driving SUVs here. Most of the near-accidents I have are due mainly to 20-40 year old females talking on phones, playing in the passenger seats, conversing with someone in the passenger or back seats (why do you have to look at someone to talk to them while driving anyway?), or reaching around for a young 'un in the rear seats.

You gotto be careful out there,cagers don't pay any attention to other cars much less bikes.Another problem is SOME older people shouldn't be driving at all.The trucker that cost me my arm and leg was 72 and made an illegal left turn into my path.

I rode from the time I was 16 until I was 58. Lots of mileage, including years of commuting to work in Houston traffic.

I stopped when a friend of mine had his right leg traumatically amputated when he was hit from behind while stopped at a traffic light. I decided I was no longer willing to be that vulnerable to people in cars.

Yesterday, I helped a friend transport his bike to a dealer to sell it. He compound fractured his left leg when he dropped the bike on it. He's 58 - and now he's done, too.

A sales lady in the dealership asked me, "Do you ride?"

I started to say, "I used to, but the count of all of my dead and crippled friends who rode just got too high for me to keep ignoring the odds."

I just said, though, "I used to."

I grew up living on the best curve in town. I got to see my share of motorcycle deaths. Worst one was a brother racing another. I walked up on the dead ones body. His head and body was held between two fence post. While the other brother was crying his brains out.

There are two types of riders. Those who have wrecked and those who will. I sold mine before that took place. I have another friend who had his frontal lobe removed. He has 2 kids and a wife and now can't remember where he is in his own house. I had ended my riding days long before, but after that, I stopped missing it.

We have an intersection like this that has a lot of accidents & near misses. I agree with tucker301. The first "green" are green turning arrows for the right & left turning lanes, at which time the straight-through traffic has reds. As the motorcycle approached the intersection, you could see he just missed the arrow - the opposite direction turning lane was using its green arrow but he appropriately stopped because he was too late to catch it. The next green light is a solid green "yield" turn light; he should have yielded to the straight-through green traffic - you can tell there was likewise a car in the opposite direction in its turning lane that too was yielding to the motorcycle's-side of straight traffic. The "girl" in the SUV was at a full stop before proceeding through the intersection, she did not "run" the light, she went through it when it turned green. The motorcycle failed to yield to oncoming traffic.

I agree that riding bikes is dangerous but, part of the reason has to do with the quality of the average drivers skill level these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The next green light is a solid green "yield" turn light; he should have yielded to the straight-through green traffic - you can tell there was likewise a car in the opposite direction in its turning lane that too was yielding to the motorcycle's-side of straight traffic. The "girl" in the SUV was at a full stop before proceeding through the intersection, she did not "run" the light, she went through it when it turned green. The motorcycle failed to yield to oncoming traffic. </div></div>

EXACTLY!
Ya'll stop hatin' on us when it's your fault.
Dumbass biker screwed up and nearly bit it.
Had he been on a car, you know, those things with doors, roofs, AC, heat, windows, etc. that don't fall over when they stop.... he would've been fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to me like the car ran a red light. No biker is dumb enough to make a turn like that when it is not his turn. </div></div>
Hang around here for a while particularly at the end of the shift at work you will see dozens.

I think j means that no REAL biker would make a turn like that.
I make my turna after making sure I won't get hit by some susie rotten crotch texting or some milf turned around yeling at kids. In cases where the dumb c**** try to change lanes on top of me, a fast rev of LAF LSR Pro Stock gets their attention right quick. One thing is for sure, my little 110hp Sporty is LAF when I WOT her

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think j means that no REAL biker would make a turn like that. </div></div>

You are right - for REAL bikers, multiples of them would run the same red light in parade fashion and expect others to yield to them.

That happened here in downtown Denver a few years ago. Big group, going to a downtown bar, light turned red mid-pack, pack kept going, tail end guy got picked off by someone timing the light and not watching for traffic in the intersection.

Sounds like a bunch of weekenders. Any large group I ever road with(Nomads, Viet Nam Vets MC, Wild Geese Nomads Veteren's MC, Viscious Circle MC[a 'friend' invited me on that one]) each and every interesection was blocked by a road guard. No traffic moved until the last bike was through, and the road guard turned to fall into the formation. Those Saturday Morning Weekend Bikers that go two miles, stop at a bar for two hours, then go another three miles, another bar for two hours, piss me off. Stupid fucking drunk riders doing more drinking and less riding.
The best runs are at least 70 miles between stops. Stops are for gas and a cool off drink for the guys with the 2.8G tanks, and to pick a poker card. That means each leg of the run is $8 worth of 93 Octane and by the end of the run when it's time for barbeque and beers, you have put between an average of 180 - 300 miles down. With a run like that, and a zero incident run at that, you are rolling with 100+ rightious bikers. 1%'ers, 99%'ers same same when it comes to it on a run. Besides, some 99%'ers do more stupid shit than some 1%'ers so it all shakes out in the end. Rice guys, well I think the stunters and the 'Rough Riders' kind of give them all a bad name with their stupid behavior.
Weekend RUB's, and squids, they have more issues on their little three to ten mile runs than anyone I have ever seen, but for some reason always ends up on a trailer. Never seen that with one of the above listed clubs. Wrenches and tools come out, and a few minutes later the bike is rolling...unless it's catastrophic. I seen guys take a primary apart and have the thing rolling in less than an hour. One group(Nomads) had a guy's head fail, but he rode that bike into the end meeting place when the rest of the group rolled in. The best part? He was with four riders who stayed with him and helped him with the support he needed. Two patches, and two rightious bikers.
Jeez, I need to get out and find a serious run! OH YEh! One coming up I think, BWC should be coming up soon!

http://www.bikerswhocare.org/toyrun10.htm

While it's not a big long run, it IS a weekend long party and a chance to see some good rock and roll, and meet some new people, plus it's like just around the corner too!

Well the majority of them ride Harley's. wear leather and have no regard for anyone but them selves. They must be "real" bikers right?
I guess that's not really a fair assessment. There are quite a few bikers I work with who are very good people. Even the Harley riders
wink.gif
. There are quite a few who fit the above description to a T as well though probably no more than in any other group.

Seriously? that bike isnt even street legal where i live, if the fucker got splattered in the intersection i would have asked where his turn signals and headlight was......

The street is a dangerous place to ride.

But, in our society risk is often overrated.

Of the last four people I know/knew who were injured/killed on a motorcycle, the first one was killed when he lost control on the track and hit a hard barrier, the second one was sideswiped by drunk driver who was going north in the soutbound lane, the third was killed during a race when he got hit in the head by a tumbling bike, and the fourth was paralyzed from the neck down when he improperly landed a jump on a dirt track.

There are no guarantees in life, or of life. There are only those who do, and those who don't.