• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bill Wilson ( Is it worth it? )

ZackOwns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
jax fla
Pretty basic question being I've never seen one in person nor know anyone personally who's even handled one of their 1911s. Are they really worth every penny of the cost?

Re: Bill Wilson ( Is it worth it? )

I have an older CQB I traded for aprox 6-7 years ago. It was NIB when traded and it never impressed me. Trade in given the guy back then was $1300, I remember because I thought I was stealing it. I see now a standard is running $2500 retail no way 'for me' unless something has changed dramatically. I shot a couple of matches with it and finish had started to wear off after 2. Felt, functioned and shot like any decent 1911.

I have a CQB Compact which I use as my carry gun and am very happy with it. It was the first 1911 I bought that I did not feel like I had to make any mods to it, trigger was great right out of the box, mag release, safety, mag well all were good. That helps to defray the initial cost. I bought my used with very low round count. I would suggest checking for sale ads here, on Gunbroker, and on GunsAmerica you can find them used for very good prices. I am a definite 1911 fan, I own two Springfields a TGO and a TRP. I and have shot them both for several years in IPSC matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older CQB I traded for aprox 6-7 years ago. It was NIB when traded and it never impressed me. Trade in given the guy back then was $1300, I remember because I thought I was stealing it. I see now a standard is running $2500 retail no way 'for me' unless something has changed dramatically. I shot a couple of matches with it and finish had started to wear off after 2. Felt, functioned and shot like any decent 1911. </div></div>

the only thing keeping me from dropping the funds is there are alot of people saying this exact thing...

I picked up a CQB a couple of months ago, very nice fit and finish. After about 200 rds down the pipe the finish started chipping around the ejection port. Called Wilson, ups picked it up the next day, they said that it was very uncommon for that to happen. Got it back two weeks later looks brand new haven’t had a chance to function test it yet. When I first bought it though I had my 5in TRP and 4in Wilson next to each other on the bench, shooting free hand at 15yds. The Wilson was shooting tighter groups than my TRP, which I have had for a few years now. That was slow fire shoot 1 shot, place on safe, put it down, rest, do it again x4, then same thing with the other pistol. Wilson out shot Springfield doing this. Would I buy another one maybe if I had the money sitting around I don’t regret my purchase with it.

Disclaimer, I've never owned a Wilson. I've heard both good, great, and mediocre about them. I don't know anyone who says they are aweful. Personally, I don't care for baked-on finishes. I much prefer Ionbond or Robar's "blackened stainless treatment". The reason is this, they all wear eventually and I like the looks of a worn finish far more than the looks of a chipped finish.

The price they ask is not unreasonable for a high-quality 1911. I spend $2,900 on my Springfield Custom pistol. But here's my take on it. I'm OK with spending 3k on a 100% custom gun, but I'm not OK with spending $2,500 on a factory pistol (even a great one). If I want a factory pistol I'll buy a $1700 new Les Baer TRS. In my opinion Les Baer's are every bit the pistol Wilson's are, but at a lower price. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Yes, they are worth it. I bought a used CQB back in '04 for $1k cash. Shot the snot out of it. Ended up putting over 8k rounds thru it. Never had a single jam, FTF, FTE, ever. Was easily more accurate that any Kimber, Colt or even my Les Baer Premier II. Ended up selling it for alot more than I paid for it. I highly recommend them.

I would say yes when picked up used. Mine is a compact CQB and I put 1500 in it last year. It was basically new. Its a great pistol but I wouldn't pay 1000 more. It has held up very well in terms of finish and has been shot a good bit splitting time about 50/50 with a Springfield Micro as my carry gun. They are much pricier now than just a few years ago. They used to be just about the only game in town for a semi custom....now there are some very good ones out there. You can find some very good used prices on lightly used Nighthawks, STIs, and Les Baers if you are patient. I have also been very happy with the couple of Springfields I have picked up. I will say the Wilson has been a joy...no tuning needed and goes bang every time.

i bought a flawless, 50 round used lwt bobtail pro about 6 months ago for about $1400 less than new retail. It's very sharply put together, shoots very well, but it's not by any quantifiably objective measure "better" than my Browns, or Baer, certainly not by the degree the difference in price might suggest.

A new Baer TRS can be had for ~$1800,. Whilst it lacks the polish of the Wilson (and the Browns), it gives up nothing in functionality or accuracy. I kinda prefer it's looks too.
Wilson's are much more flexible in ordering, they now have a huge options list, so you can order a new one pretty much exactly as you'd like it, many of them for zero or little additional cost, but for around $3K I'd be looking at Guncrafter, Berryhill, Miller, D & V or Springfield custom as a serious option.

Bought a used Wilson CQB with a ton of extras for around $1500 earlier this year. Great package and great shooting gun. Shooting wise, it is on par with my STI tactical and my Les Baer SRP - so I think all these upper tier guys are all good. BTW - all the guns shoot way better than I ever could. Love the trigger on the Wilson. Don't pay for the name - pay for the fit in your hand, the "shootability", back-up customer service and of course reliability.

I have the privilege of owning 2 Wilsons a CQB full-size and a Tactical LE. The CQB looks just like any other 1911 but the fit and finish is great. Even with over 3000 rounds through it it is still tight to the frame and no wiggle. I honestly like my Tactical LE the best because of the heavy barrel there is barely any recoil on the gun. The CQB feels like any other 1911 in my opinion but when you get their specialty pistols then it becomes truly worth it because Bo one else offers those kind of options.

have two CQB's and have a lot of rounds down both of them with a very wide variety of ammo-all factory, do not use reloads as I carry one of the two every day. I use only Wilson mags and have never had any type of malfunction.

IMHO they are an outstanding handgun. Are they worth the difference in price compared to some of those mentioned. That is the decision of the buyer. I am certainly not sorry I purchased either.

I have also owned Brown and Bear and Springfield. Never a malfunction with either the Brown or Bear. Cannot say the same for the Springfield. Just decided to stay with one type.

Yes, they make a very nice piece. Pick up a Nighthawk and you will never look back! By far the best feeling 1911 I have ever had in my hands. I do own a Wilson and an STI custom. But the Nighthawk is the way to go.

IMHO,
Mark

I have/had a total of 5 wilsons and as stated above the they go bang every time you pull the trigger and Wilson has the best customer service I have ever delt with. Baer
did not work out so well for me. I have not owned a Night Hawk but those guys were at one time smiths for Wilson so I assume they turn out a very nice product as well.

As much as the price has sky rocketed in the last few years for these semi-custom 1911's I think a person would be better off sending a donor to a well established one man 1911 smith and have it built like you want it. There are still a few outstanding 1911 smiths out there with long waiting list that turn out some outstanding work.

I own and carry a Wilson Sentinel. It was the end of my long and expensive journey of finding the perfect CCW.

I am definitely happy with my CQB tactical LE. I got it for a lil less with a mil discount but it is definitely worth every penny. Over 1200 rounds down the pipe and not one hiccup.

I have a Wilson Combat but I like my Springfield Custom just as much. Especially after I tweeked the trigger.

my Brown:

web.jpg

my Baer:

web.jpg

and the Wilson:

web.jpg

All bought used, the Baer being the cheapest and the Wilson the most expensive.
The price of the Wilson bought new would be about the same as I payed for the Brown <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> the Baer. The Wilson is fucking lovely, but it's not <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> fucking lovely.....

I bought the Wilson to be my EDC, but decided that I like the heft of the Baer the best.

For not much more than the current price of a new Wilson, you can get a new Les Baer, and that would be a much better choice, based on experience with both. Even better still would be a Nighthawk. They are well worth their price, IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For <span style="text-decoration: line-through">not much more than</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3366FF">a little over half</span></span> the current price of a new Wilson, you can get a new Les Baer, and that would be a much better choice, based on experience with both. Even better still would be a Nighthawk. They are well worth their price, IMHO. </div></div>

fixed it for you.....

What makes the Baer a better choice ? Or the NH ?

At Wilson prices you can simply get much more gun for the money and it will be a true custom from a great smith.

For less money you can get a little more gun from a few other semi production makers (Baer).

Buying a Wilson is kind of like paying S class mercedes prices for a Lincoln Town car.

Pretty paint on an average 1911 when you get into the custom end. I think Nighthawk puts out a better product. Or on their off day as good of one since they came from Wilson's shop.

My choice would be neither however.

I have owned my CQB Compact for about 12 years. It's a joy to shoot and never missed feeding, firing, or extracting ANYTHING I put through it. I don't know the round count but it is in the thousands. This gun feels right in my hand and hits where pointed. I have had no issues with chipping but it now shows some holster wear. The Wilson pyramid sights are perfect in my honest opinion. It's my CCW choice.

A free perusal of the gun rag mag section of the grocery market reveals that apparently Clint dropped Baer in favor of Wilson for their TR model. Wonder why.

The Wilson's are very nice pistols, but I think that you can get a similar quality 1911 for less money. Don't get me wrong, if you purchase a Wilson you will get a good pistol but you are paying some for the premium name. As others have said, check into Nighthawk 1911's. They are also very nice and I think run cheaper in price. Another great option if you can find them is the old Rock River 1911's. They have stopped making them, so you will have to find a used one.

I am looking forward to getting my first Wilson-it should be here next week. I will weigh in once I have it in hand.

In the meantime, I will say that I have a Bear TRS, a Nighthawk Enforcer, a Brown Special Forces, and a customized Colt. The reason why the Wilson is the last to make it to the club of semi-custom 1911s that I have acquired is that it reflected a slight but significant price increase over the other options.

The reason I went with the Wilson this time is that this one is a 10mm Tactical Elite and 10mms can be a bit temperamental in the 1911 platform. Although you hear a variety of things about Wilsons in terms of whether or not they are worth the price they command, one thing you consistently hear is that their customer service is among the very best out there. As such, I felt more comfortable purchasing one of their 10mms on the off chance I would need to use their customer service (although I don't expect to have to).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A free perusal of the gun rag mag section of the grocery market reveals that apparently Clint dropped Baer in favor of Wilson for their TR model. Wonder why. </div></div>
Did the magazine atricle also say that Wilson built the original TR Specials? Wonder why he dropped them in the first place? Larry Vickers used to be all Larue Tactical. But, his "go to" AR (bearing his name) is built by Daniel Defense. I've seen Ken Hackathorn hanging out at Wilson Combat where, I believe, he was a paid consultant. But, in the "be all, end all" interview about his and Vicker's collaboration on the HK45 project, he virtually says that the HK is better than any 1911 made and that you would be foolish to choose one over the HK45.When are shooters going to realize that gun makers, gun writers, class instructors etc are about MAKING MONEY!!!!! I've owned a lot of all the semi-custom 1911s. There is absolutley NO difference in the quality of the Big 3. Only different parts and (most importantly to me) different prices.

didn't like nor trust the Wilson I had, didn't get good CS from Wilson either..

Still have my Dan Wesson and trust it -

I'd consider MARS, Ed brown, Yo Bo 1*, RRA, Spring. TRP, DL Sports, ...

plenty of 1911 commentary in the this section of SH.........search around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty basic question being I've never seen one in person nor know anyone personally who's even handled one of their 1911s. Are they really worth every penny of the cost? </div></div>

Wilson's are fine guns but when I decided to spend my money on a high end 1911 I chose Ed Brown. Glad I did.
wink.gif

2uj5kro.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty basic question being I've never seen one in person nor know anyone personally who's even handled one of their 1911s. Are they really worth every penny of the cost? </div></div>

Wilson's are fine guns but when I decided to spend my money on a high end 1911 I chose Ed Brown. Glad I did.
wink.gif

2uj5kro.jpg
</div></div>

Looks great. Lightweight or steel frame?

Without Bill Wilson I have no idea where I'd be today, or what kind of shape I'd be in (if breathing at all).

Ohhhhh, sorry, you were talking about the overpriced 1911 guy? I was thinking of another Bill Wilson.......

To answer the OP in a word. No! I drank the Wilson koolaid and bought a CQB year before last. Very impressive fit and finish and function. When it came time to punch paper the Wilson just was not all that. Traded it off and lost a big chunk of my butt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without Bill Wilson I have no idea where I'd be today, or what kind of shape I'd be in (if breathing at all).

Ohhhhh, sorry, you were talking about the overpriced 1911 guy? I was thinking of another Bill Wilson....... </div></div>

Good one SB. A few will catch, us members of the Bill W club all got it.
wink.gif

I have owned my Les Baer Premiere 2 for 16 years which I bought used. The only time it has malfunctioned is when i failed to replace the recoil spring (it was 3 coils shorter than new).

Can't say it's any better than a Bill Wilson, but everyone who has ever shot it has been impressed. Since LB is a lot cheaper than BW, I can't see why I would pay the extra $$.

I like my STI 2011 40, but it can't hold a candle to the LB.

I've been very happy with an Ed Brown, and would buy another.

I own the Supergrade Professional that I carry as a daily gun off duty or on duty sometimes. I just ordered another CQB LE, full size. I have owned Springfield, Colt. I have friends that have many various brands. It all depends on you and what you value. Some like Rolex watches, some like Tags. I am happy with my Wilson and would buy another one. They are custom made to order to your specifications. Both on my two guns have engraving on them. The customer service is very good too.

Just my two cents on this subject.