• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Bill Wilson on the 9MM vs the "Lord's caliber"

I don’t respect the opinions of folks know only what they read.

Please cite your personal education, experience and research related to the topic as outlined above.

.357 kills very well. I struggle with the high pitched blast. Not too much of an issue with double coverage hearing protection but tough under non range conditions.

Oddly, I find the .40 and 10mm very comfortable to shoot. Guess I have strong hands and arms but ears not so good.

I don’t respect the opinions of folks know only what they read.

Please cite your personal education, experience and research related to the topic as outlined above.

LOL, you wanted to be known as some sort of authority on wound ballistics here when you have ZERO professional knowledge or experience on the subject. No one who pays for this kind of knowledge goes to you for it.

Now your ass is chapped because I called you out on it. And not only that, I've shown for all to see what the work of real experts looks like.

GTFO

ETA: thanks for making my point about knowledge. If all you rely on is what you learn for yourself, then you can count yourself among the ignorant.

Reactions: Centuriator
I am not an expert. I have a hell of a lot of experience killing with a handgun. I know what works. Basically everything if utilized correctly.

I have medical degrees and 35 years surgical experience.

I am not a trainer. I know what I know.

I had heard you were a troll. Now I know.

Now go back to slobbering on your book.

764.jpg

If its stats that matter Im pretty sure the .38 Special comes out on top for kills in the FBI records.

Has more to do with length of service and popularity of the guns that shoot .38 Special rather than any ballistics decision Im guessing.

Shot placement.......all that really matters.

Shoot what you can shoot most accurately and disregard all the other BS.

Ok, now share you education, research and PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with us as outlined above.

Or simply smart off and change the subject again.

Also quote where I claimed to be an expert.

I have simply shot thousands of critters with handguns from 22 short to 44 Magnum over the last 50 plus years.

I see little on no difference in killing similar sized mammals with handguns. They breathe air, have a CNS and bleed blood. End of story.

Does that confuse you? Do you need to look it up?

We recently had a shooting here.
.22 lr, stopped the guy in his tracks, didn't kill him, but at least 3 surgeries. He remains in the hospital months later.
.22 LR almost ended Ronald Reagan.

Doesn't mean I'd recommend it for a defensive sidearm.
I shot a feral hog once, nearly 400 pounds. Hit it with a 7mm, actually went right through its heart. Nice big hole in the heart. damn thing ran about 40 yards before expiring.

I shoot and carry both 9mm and .45 depending on the seasons. They both have their place as a valid defensive means in the small packages that we can conceal. A good place to test your gear is at an IDPA match. You shoot under the stress of time while drawing from concealment and reload on the clock through various scenarios. What you thought was a 100% reliable pistol in a booth at the local indoor range may not be so much when running and gunning under stress. As a shooter, you will get exposed to static, moving, and disappearing targets, as well as making decisions under time stress. Accuracy as well as speed are both components of the scoring system to quantify your performance. Being that pistols are poor man stoppers, being able to get good CNS hits under stress is a priority. Test yourself and your gear regularly. If you are as proficient as you can get, it won't matter if you shoot 9mm or .45. on two legged vermin.

I recently took our states LE pistol qual course of fire using both a 1911 in 45 and a G19. Passed with both, scored higher with the 1911, I shot it better at the 25yd target.

I recently took our states LE pistol qual course of fire using both a 1911 in 45 and a G19. Passed with both, scored higher with the 1911, I shot it better at the 25yd target.

That makes sense to me, better trigger makes a big difference.

The vast majority of "we the people" are not going to be shooting at people at 25 yards, and if you have to resort to a handgun at that range, you better be doing it to fight your way to a rifle.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me, better trigger makes a big difference.

The vast majority of "we the people" are not going to be shooting at people out at 25 yards.
Indeed, once you start extending the range, defense of a person becomes difficult to claim, unless you are actively engaged in a gunfight

So, I've been on gun forums for .... oh, what ... 10-15 years? These caliber discussions are all the same, with the same arguments made, the same insults exchanged, the same feelings hurt and the same conclusions reached by those who feel some odd need to defend or evangelize for their caliber of choice.

Everything that needs to be said, has been said, long ago, but apparently not everyone has said it who feels a need to say it.

:)

I shot a feral hog once, nearly 400 pounds. Hit it with a 7mm, actually went right through its heart. Nice big hole in the heart. damn thing ran about 40 yards before expiring.

On a patrol in the magazines at Subic Bay, PI circa 1987 we heard a disturbance in the jungle off our route of march.

These patrols were one of the few times I was ever in possession of a full magazine in the rifle.

The Cpl told us all to lock and load and I was point. We walked up the hill throgh the brush and twenty or so yards up a hog jumps up on a log and the CPL was like "Shoot it!"

I fired and the pig went down, not dead.

It laid on the ground and we got up to him finding out the locals had set a snare and the thing was actually tied up.

We were to scared to fire another round so we called back to our Quonset hut and a Gunny came out and head shot him.

That night we butchered him up sos the locals could cook him up for us.

In his left shoulder blade there was a perfectly drilled .224 sized hole.

The right side shoulder was shattered and nothing but gelatin - devastating bone destruction.

Bullets fuck things up if allowed to work.....

670_zpsc3884dc9.jpg

We were lucky it was just a little piglet.

So, I've been on gun forums for .... oh, what ... 10-15 years? These caliber discussions are all the same, with the same arguments made, the same insults exchanged, the same feelings hurt and the same conclusions reached by those who feel some odd need to defend or evangelize for their caliber of choice.

Everything that needs to be said, has been said, long ago, but apparently not everyone has said it who feels a need to say it.

This was all settled back in 1874 with the introduction of the .38-40.

On a patrol in the magazines at Subic Bay, PI circa 1987 we heard a disturbance in the jungle off our route of march.

These patrols were one of the few times I was ever in possession of a full magazine in the rifle.

The Cpl told us all to lock and load and I was point. We walked up the hill throgh the brush and twenty or so yards up a hog jumps up on a log and the CPL was like "Shoot it!"

I fired and the pig went down, not dead.

It laid on the ground and we got up to him finding out the locals had set a snare and the thing was actually tied up.

We were to scared to fire another round so we called back to our Quonset hut and a Gunny came out and head shot him.

That night we butchered him up sos the locals could cook him up for us.

In his left shoulder blade there was a perfectly drilled .224 sized hole.

The right side shoulder was shattered and nothing but gelatin - devastating bone destruction.

Bullets fuck things up if allowed to work.....

View attachment 7141426

We were lucky it was just a little piglet.
I was there during that timeframe.
MOMAG Unit Nine. 1983-85 then 86-90.
You probably saw me riding my bicycle there. A powder blue road bike. I lived on Hansen Street out in town, rode my bike to work every damn day except when actively typhooning.

Reactions: pmclaine

Most things in life have been said before. On the ‘net and otherwise. And most issues settled.

Just not everyone got the memo.

I was there during that timeframe.
MOMAG Unit Nine. 1983-85 then 86-90.
You probably saw me riding my bicycle there. A powder blue road bike. I lived on Hansen Street out in town, rode my bike to work every damn day except when actively typhooning.

We were detached from our unit.

The rest of the Battalion went down the month before us from Oki while we were supposed to go to a country in the ME for some reason.

Our trip got cancelled so when the rest of the BN came back to Oki we got sent down to Subic.

So a Company of guys outside Olongapo with a Lt and some SNCOs in charge.

Not a bad month.

Most things in life have been said before. On the ‘net and otherwise. And most issues settled.

Just not everyone got the memo.

Did Longinus use a 1903 lance or an M1917 lance

Like the Alvin York controversy.

Gun fights never end....