• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bino recommendation for teenagers

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Two of the grandsons are going on their first big hunt this year and I was thinking that they should have their own set of bino's. Probably something in the 10x42 category and not over $1k(ideally in the $600-800 range).

I probably would not directly give them the bino's in case they dont take care of them or really use them. They dont have to be new but in good shape because if they dont use them then I can put them in a vehicle and I will then have a set in each car/truck.

Thoughts and thanks in advance

I would buy them Vortex Diamondbacks unless you know they're going to appreciate them. They're great entry level binos and also about the most that chinese binos are worth. For around $500 you can pick up "like new" BX-4's from Euro Optic which are IMO the best value for getting into a more mid level bino and are Japanese made. They also have deals on Zeiss conquest HD's for a little more but within your budget.

My kid is on his second pair of these...8x25mm $90
1692136367470.png

Happy to share a pin (+/- 500 yards) for the first pair. They're bright red and the 15 of us in the field that day couldn't find them.
Even these are "casting pearls before swine."

Reactions: ohmosy

I got these for my kids for an Alaska trip. They were much nicer than you would think. Nobody complained about the light weight either.

Thanks folks. I will head out and look at Vortex options this week and also the Leupolds at the higher price. Any thoughts on Kowa BDII 10x42? They seems to be in about the same price range as the Leupolds.

Thanks folks. I will head out and look at Vortex options this week and also the Leupolds at the higher price. Any thoughts on Kowa BDII 10x42? They seems to be in about the same price range as the Leupolds.
The Kowa BDll 10x42 are outstanding. I would go with Kowa before Vortex or Leupold.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Check the local pawn shops. I picked up a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42s for one Franklin. They have been decent, but I’m now looking towards better glass for myself and will pass these down to my son (or maybe leave them in the Bronco).

Reactions: BCP

I got these for my kids for an Alaska trip. They were much nicer than you would think. Nobody complained about the light weight either.

I'd get those but 8x32. Lightweight, compact, good field of view/exit pupil, not expensive.

I bought my daughter the Zeiss Terra HD’s off Euro Optics Demo page as her first pair of Binos. Great value for the cost IMO. Really have nothing negative to say about them. Nice set of Binos Can be had for $500-ish.

Thanks all. Managed to look at the Vortex, Leupolds, Zeiss and a number of others. Almost everything but the Kowas.

I guess I am surprised at how good most of them really are these days. Even some of the Chinese ones are pretty good. I am leaning towards the Vortex although I thought both the Leupolds and Zeiss are at least as good.

I think the warranty on the Vortex is pretty straightforward and with these two can be real chuckleheads....

Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks all. Managed to look at the Vortex, Leupolds, Zeiss and a number of others. Almost everything but the Kowas.

I guess I am surprised at how good most of them really are these days. Even some of the Chinese ones are pretty good. I am leaning towards the Vortex although I thought both the Leupolds and Zeiss are at least as good.

I think the warranty on the Vortex is pretty straightforward and with these two can be real chuckleheads....

Thanks again to everyone.
Speaking only from the standpoint of warranties, I have had Vortex rifle scopes in the past and I was extremely happy with their warranty service.

I do not have experience with Zeiss or Kowa warranties and I've heard horror stories about Leupold lately.

If all other aspects/comparisons were close to being equal for all manufacturers, I'd go the Vortex route, particularly because of "Teenage Boys"........

I do not have experience with Zeiss or Kowa warranties and I've heard horror stories about Leupold lately.
I have read the horror stories about Leupold warranty as well. I had an ANCIENT wind river series spotter that the ocular focus ring came loose. I emailed and they told me to send it in. I paid out of pocket to ship there, which is not a huge deal for me. Since the spotter was no longer sold, they sent me the newer Alpine sx2 HD version. All was finished in less than two weeks. Maybe I just got lucky?

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I have read the horror stories about Leupold warranty as well. I had an ANCIENT wind river series spotter that the ocular focus ring came loose. I emailed and they told me to send it in. I paid out of pocket to ship there, which is not a huge deal for me. Since the spotter was no longer sold, they sent me the newer Alpine sx2 HD version. All was finished in less than two weeks. Maybe I just got lucky?
How long ago did you send your spotter in ?

Huh, interesting. Wonder if the bad feedback is just from people that had their rhubarb rubbed the wrong way………

I have no personal experience, so I can’t say.
Good question?

They received my returned item on 9-15, and mailed my new one on 9-26. Maybe because it was a simple replacement it went faster??
E9DBCD69-3436-4830-8F62-C9C78986C0BA.jpeg

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Good question?

They received my returned item on 9-15, and mailed my new one on 9-26. Maybe because it was a simple replacement it went faster??View attachment 8208735
I had similar experience With my Laser Range Finder. The only delay was because I had requested the black instead of camo. Once I accepted the camo one, it was here within a week. This would have been early in 2021/late 2020

I would encourage you to consider an 8x42 platform. The larger exit pupil will give them better low-light performance and a more relaxing eyebox.
And that was the part that was the challenge. In the end I asked their dad and he said get the 10’s.

My take was the 8’s would be easier and they are teenagers.

Maybe I will get one of each…..

Reactions: glock24
And that was the part that was the challenge. In the end I asked their dad and he said get the 10’s.

My take was the 8’s would be easier and they are teenagers.

Maybe I will get one of each…..
I've outfitted lots of first-timers for several years now including kids and open-minded folks. They were all pleasantly surprised to learn that a low-vibration, relaxing, and immersive view is the best. Frankly, there really needs to be more 7x42mm and even 6x32mm options available.

For some reason though, binocular manufacturers tell me the majority of their consumers think higher magnification is what they need. The mistaken majority wins again!

IMO, if you want 10x (and up) plan on a 50-56mm objective, and plan on a tripod. This is the way. LOL!

Reactions: Modoc
These are pretty good for the money they were my go to before I got my Vortex Fury 5000s.

I lucked out at a Club Swapmeet and picked up a pair of these for $20. P.O. Had upgraded to Leica.
Steiner Military Marine 8x30 Binocular.

He’s used them for the last 11 years, so I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

You can probably find a deal on a set of Vortex Razor UHD binoculars that would just about hit your price point.
It would be hard to beat those for the money.

I highly recommend the Kowa BD II and Genesis Prominar series (often found under $1k). Lets get one thing out of the way, the BD II binos are Chinesium so if that is a factor then no need to read further. But IMO the BD II has truly superb glass for the price, I would not have touched them except for ILya’s review of the 6.5x32, I absolutely love these binos, they are better than anything Ive seen in the $350 price range and honestly better than most twice their price, the other often forgotten spec is FOV, the BD II are wide angle and it is worth it. I love my 6.5x32’s so much I decided to get the 8x42’s to maintain that 5mm exit pupil which really helps with being easy to get behind, in fact, i like my BD II 8x42’s so much I may get rid of my 10x33 Genesis Prominars which also punch above their class optically and mechanically. If you’re looking at Kowa, do yourself a service and give Doug at cameralandny a call, lowest price, no tax and free shipping sure help during the “great” economy our current dictator in charge has brought us to.

I highly recommend the Kowa BD II and Genesis Prominar series (often found under $1k). Lets get one thing out of the way, the BD II binos are Chinesium so if that is a factor then no need to read further. But IMO the BD II has truly superb glass for the price, I would not have touched them except for ILya’s review of the 6.5x32, I absolutely love these binos, they are better than anything Ive seen in the $350 price range and honestly better than most twice their price, the other often forgotten spec is FOV, the BD II are wide angle and it is worth it. I love my 6.5x32’s so much I decided to get the 8x42’s to maintain that 5mm exit pupil which really helps with being easy to get behind, in fact, i like my BD II 8x42’s so much I may get rid of my 10x33 Genesis Prominars which also punch above their class optically and mechanically. If you’re looking at Kowa, do yourself a service and give Doug at cameralandny a call, lowest price, no tax and free shipping sure help during the “great” economy our current dictator in charge has brought us to.
I have a pair of these exact binos in the Post exchange for about half of what Doug at NY Cameraland sold them to me for about 3 years ago.

Reactions: Glassaholic