• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Binocs questions, stick with my Steiners or???

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
Ok guys, this is gonna sound weird but here it goes. I bought a pair of Steiner Observer 7x50 binocs today with built in compass. I'll admit that I know little about them other than Steiner makes quality binocs and I have an idea what their prices are. Long story short, these were on clearance for a great price, then half off due to a weekend sidewalk sale, and then the register rang them up even more discounted, so I bought them knowing if I didn't like them I could sell them.

My question is, are these really good binocs that I should keep or is there something else I should be looking at? I hear lots of talk about the Viper binocs from Liberty Optics.

My only complaint about these Steiners is that they are a little large. I like the compass feature but could live without it. I really like the set it and forget it focus.

Is there something that might be more compact with at least equal quality glass for the same price range? These Steiners are brand new from a well known large walk in retail outlet. I am just curious if I should be selling these and getting something more compact or are these worth keeping and dealing with the size?

(And should mention that durability is a big plus in my eyes)

These are the ones I got: http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/marine/685.html

Re: Binocs questions, stick with my Steiners or???

If you think they are bulky, change them for another Steiner unit without the compass.

My experience with Steiners is good, they are a good quality glass. If you qant to step up, I think you´ll need to spend much more.

I noticed a big improvement going from Steiner 7x50 to Vortex Viper 8x42... But understand my Steiner’s were at least 20 years old so I doubt yours would be the same.

As for size and weight, that is up to you. I do find myself taking my bino's more places now though because they are a more convenient size and weight, be that in a pack or around my neck.

I'd stick with the Steiners unless you plan on spending ALOT more cash. If you get a chance,look through a pair of Leica's or Swarovski's-big difference both in image quality AND PRICE.

IMO, the money should be spend on a BETTER SCOPE. The Steiner's should serve you well.

You may look into a pair of Zen-Rays. Though they don't have the permanent focus, they have very good depth of field, so you shouldn't have to refocus much. I have a pair of steiners with the 'auto-focus', and I don't care for them much because you can't focus on anything close without tweaking the diopters.

An 8x Zen-ray ED can be had for $360, and I feel is much superior glass to the steiner. Many feel that they're approaching the optical quality of swarovski/zeiss. They're much less bulky than a pair of observers.

As an offshore captain I have used just about every binoc. made at one time or another. The only one everybody fights over is the Fujinon Polaris FMTR SX?. They can be had with or without compass. They EXCELL in low light conditions, when it is dark enough to not see anything, all is revealed with the Fujis. Paid around $600 for mine and worth EVERY penny. The Fujis will piss on those Steiners.