• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binocular suggestions?

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I have a 8x30 Steiner, but need more magnification for my Elk Hunt. I am looking for a Binocular that is in the $200-$300 range that folks are happy with - specifically going to be used in hunting. Any suggestions other than save up for a better set?

Re: Binocular suggestions?

I've got a pair of Vortex Vultures 10x50 that I really like. I think they are discontinued now though because the only original ones I could find were on ebay. A buddy of mine has a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB that I liked as well and I think he gave $250-300 for them. I've heard pretty decent things about the Leupold Cascade but I've never personally looked at any.

Nice $50 instant saving's going on right now at Authorized Nikon Dealer's on the MONARCH 3 and 5 bino's. I hunted with the 3's last Dec. and was very impressed. Eight days in KS winter and not one problem.

I bought my wife some Nikon Monarch and I bought myself some Nikon Action both are 10X50. I like my Action better than the Monarch Binos.

I bought mine at REI and the claim is that they have a Lifetime garuntee through REI.

I have to recommend the Nikon binos as well, I have a set of Monarch ATB 10X42's that I've been using for several years now. It has very good optical qualities, it feels like it's built hell for stout, and it's relatively compact.

You might also want to check out the Vortex line of binoculars since they have several that are within your price range. I haven't heard too many bad comments about their products. Good luck.

Look at Pentax binocs with a "WP" designation for waterproof. The Pentax DCF WP are great glass but not under $300. unless you can get them used.

+1 for the Nikon Monarchs. I have a pair that have to be close to 10 years old, I love them. Mine are 10x42

folks have given many great reviews to Zen-Rays, which I debated against a pair of Vortex Vipers. Suffice to say, that damn fantastic Vortex warranty won again! The binos rock, too, BTW.

I did check out the Vortex website, but it is a bit confusing to try to decide which of their binoculars fit within my critera. Its also kind of difficult since I can't actually look at any of them. I have looked at some of the Nikon's (Monarchs as well) and don't really see much difference between them and say the Leupold's which cost a bunch more. The Swarskois (I know I am spelling that wrong) were better optically but they are $2000...

The Nikon's are great, take a look at the Leupold lines, I have the Olympic 10x50 and they are excellent!! They are priced well too, right in the range you are wanting.

Bushnell. Cheap but rugged. If you don't like them you can get your money back.

Leupold Cascades 10x42s do the job perfectly from coyote to elk for me out here.