• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Binoculars for use with glasses

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
I wear glasses and wanted to know if anybody else has a recommendation for bino's for glasses wearing individuals. I hunt in michigan so I dont need a super expensive pair because my hunt doesn't rely on them by any means. I was looking at Vortex or Leupold and would like to keep it around $200 giver or take a little bit.

For as much as I use them im not spending a ton of money on them, just isint worth it to me. If I hunted where i would use them more, say out west or something, then I would be all in for a nice pair. I will likely go to a store and check some out but I wanted to ask for first hand experience to help in the decision. thanks for the replys.

The only advice I have is look for ones with a long eye relief, the longer the better for glasses.
I recently a pair of Leupold BXII at Bass Pro for around 280.00 and they work for me with glasses.

Reactions: sobrbiker883
Got you covered. You need 20-22mm eye relief. Swarovski 8x42 are perfect, but’ll cost you $1800 or more. But you’re not lost. There is a telescope company called Orion that has been in business in CA since the 70’s. The’ve been a go to spot for amateur astronomers since they opened their doors, sourcing good glass in Japan, China and EU.

$130.

These were my first binocs.

As a fellow eyeglasses wearer, I make sure that my binoculars have either the roll-down rubber eye cups (like on my Zeiss) or the adjustable eye cups (like on my Vortex).

I am using the Athlon Midas 10x50 with glasses with no problems. They have the twist up eye cups. They are great for the $$. Get ahold of @gr8fuldoug and he will take care of you.

I wear glasses and use Nikon 8x bino from cabelas. If you use them you will be amazed at the added number of animals you will see even at 250 yds or less.

I would suggest you call Doug @ Cameraland NY and talk to him about what you need. He will be able to recommend what might work best for you - I do know that since you have glasses you will want a bino with a bit more eye relief. Doug has some screaming deals going right now. One that might work and is only a couple dollars above your budget is the Meopta Optika HD's, in either 8x or 10x42, but for your needs I'd maybe go with the 8x42's. I have the 10x and for the price have been really pleased with them.

Optics Planet has an open box zeiss 8x25 for less than $300. If you want a small pair, these might be nice. I have a 8x20 zeiss that fold up and fit in my shirt pocket and weigh next to nothing. Dandy for bowhunting and thick woods (and I wear glasses). I got my set from Cameraland on a closeout for a great price. However, for night viewing you will need a much larger objective lens.

I just started wearing glasses and found my current Binos are all too close with 16mm eye relief.
I'm going for 20mm+ eye relief moving forward.
You can look up these specs on brands' websites, or call someone like Doug as mentioned above.

The Leupold's have a generous ocular you can twist in and out. I wear glasses and it was nice to bring it in to make them comfortable.

Reactions: Snipe260
The 20mm eye relief is key.

I have the following and they all kind of suck for eye relief.

8x42 Vortex Talon
10x42 Vortex Talon
Bushnell 10x50 Legend
Pentax 10x50 Porro Prisms old ones

I have a pair of 8x56 Minox, they are ok, but the Swarovski EL 8x42 is the cat's pyjamas.

I have a cheap pair of Bushnell Legend M binos. 8x42. They are a bit heavier than I would really like, but they do what I need them to. I was able to use them just fine when I had glasses. Got PRK surgery since then and they still work just fine/better, but no probs with glasses.

I use 10x50 vortex Viper HD 20mm eye relief. I have an astigmatism so to see clear and have definition I need to keep glasses on while viewing. The best glass in the world is worthless is eye relief is wrong.

Current production Vortex Viper HD 10x50 have 16mm worth of eye relief, and the actual usable eye relief is probably closer to 14 or 15 as the glass is recessed beyond the eye cup by a 1-2mm.

I had returned a pair of the 8x42 Talons and Vortex said they didn't currently make a suitable replacement for someone needing 20mm. So they rebuilt a pair of Talons from their Talon graveyard and shipped them back to me.

Two things can increase eye relief; and they are power 8 always has better eye relief than 10 or 12, and objective size. That is why 8x56's generally have so much eye relief. The company must consider eye relief in 42, 30, 32 and 50mm binoculars as a priority in design.

Leica used to be the place to buy eyeglass wearer approved binoculars but they seem to have forgot us of late. Swarovski, Minox, Kowa and very few others are really doing us a service. Maven, Vortex, Burris and Leupold are about as bad as Leica on eye relief. Hopefully someone will remind them that the baby boomers and older Pepsi Generation aren't getting any younger and millennials are tied to their computers and cell phones.

Reactions: Polaris
Current production Vortex Viper HD 10x50 have 16mm worth of eye relief, and the actual usable eye relief is probably closer to 14 or 15 as the glass is recessed beyond the eye cup by a 1-2mm.

I had returned a pair of the 8x42 Talons and Vortex said they didn't currently make a suitable replacement for someone needing 20mm. So they rebuilt a pair of Talons from their Talon graveyard and shipped them back to me.

Two things can increase eye relief; and they are power 8 always has better eye relief than 10 or 12, and objective size. That is why 8x56's generally have so much eye relief. The company must consider eye relief in 42, 30, 32 and 50mm binoculars as a priority in design.

Leica used to be the place to buy eyeglass wearer approved binoculars but they seem to have forgot us of late. Swarovski, Minox, Kowa and very few others are really doing us a service. Maven, Vortex, Burris and Leupold are about as bad as Leica on eye relief. Hopefully someone will remind them that the baby boomers and older Pepsi Generation aren't getting any younger and millennials are tied to their computers and cell phones.
Interesting! That was one reason I use them as I believe they were 19.5 but I see they are not any longer. Thanks

They are great and have always taken care of me as I have damaged my binos multiple times. Glad you enlightened me as to their new eye relief. Getting older includes a whole set of visual obstacles.

Yes! Getting older has brought a lot of optical challenges. I used to be able to read the computer without glasses an arms length away. I have 20/400 vision in both eyes and had never had a problem. Now I have it set on 30 font and must use glasses.

Someone remarked to me that I should just use binoculars without my glasses. I don't know about you but that doesn't really work for me. Especially at any longer ranges. I can't see the animal to without glasses, so it takes a lot more time to find them with them. Thought that was a silly response. But maybe for someone who is not quite as near-sighted as I am that would work.

Therefore, using binoculars with eyeglasses depends on the specific eye disorder and correctionof vision needed. ... In case you're suffering from astigmatism, then binoculars alone cannot fix the vision issue. They can only correct vision errors and not spherical vision errors.Apr 11, 2019
Just a quote above pulled off web

I was told the same but having an astigmatism like myself does not correct the issue by simple magnification. I learned the hard way when I was given a pair of swaros to use in a field match. I could not use them with glasses because of the small eye relief. I couldn’t find the rusted out targets blended next to a clay soil. I just didn’t have any definition and fine lines were hard to pick out. Great glass did me no good if I couldn’t view with corrected vision.
Ive considered contacts especially due to rain or inclement weather. Near impossible to keep glasses clear. I currently I take my glassses off or look under them to read so I’d have to get some type of bifocal.

Reactions: FjallJager
Yes, I think you are right about that.

I do the same to read the ingredient list on a package or the fine print on a document.

Big fan of the 10x50 EL Swarovskis. I think the EL is about to be outclassed, and I have not seen the newest Swarovski binos, but the are supposed to be the best.

Reactions: Polaris