• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bino's on tripod question

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Guys,
I'm headed on my first elk hunt/first western hunt/first backpack hunt this October. I'm headed to Silverton Colorado with 3 friends and we're doing an unguided hunt during the second rifle season. I'm really looking forward to this and have been preparing all year. Getting all the necessary gear, training, and researching has taught me a lot and hopefully with a little luck, we'l be successful. My question is about glassing on a tripod. I'm not going to use a spotter simply because I don't want the extra weight. My binos are Nikon Monarch 5's. I would love to splurge on some better glass and if I can find a nice pair in the for sale section I might jump on them. Anyway, I was wondering what are your thoughts of utilizing a tripod to stabilize while glassing? We plan on climbing high and spending a lot of time glassing. What tripod do you recommend and in what ways do the bins secure onto the tripod? Any other advice is appreciated. I'm already breaking in my boots, doing a lot of cardio, and getting used to carrying a pack again. Thanks.

In my opinion, no tripod needed for anything under 15x. It is not that hard to stabilize your average 10x binos. If you do have a couple people going, might not be a bad idea to bring one spotter and one tripod, then you can split the weight and take turns on the spotter.

However, I belive that Nikon makes a tripod adapter for all their binos. Vortex makes some nice tripods for hunting, keeping weight and mass in mind.

You could get one of these! Web Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC
I really like the added stability of the binos on a tripod, especially for LRF binos. Even better if you can rig it up to rest your rifle on top of your binos for shooting. That way you have 2 tools in one.

Have fun! Silverton is a amazing place you will love it. Be prepared for weather though. They can get snow early and heavy, and by heavy I mean multiple feet of snow. Acclimation to altitude is also a big concern in Colorado, get there a week early if you can. It is truly some of the most beautiful country you will ever find. Good luck!

We'll be getting there 4 days early. The tentative plan is to get some dope on our rifles day one and then start scouting. I'm currently training at approx 3500ft in about 90 degree heat. I know nothing really prepares you for altitude but I'm doing all I can. I'm using a solo 3-season tent, bivy etc. I have gor-tex and Kuiu/Sitka gear so hopefully I'm good to go. I wouldn't mind a little snow but I wasn't planning on taking any snow shoes or anything like that. If for whatever reason it snows multiple feet I suppose we'll have to change the game plan a little bit.

I really like the added stability of the binos on a tripod, especially for LRF binos. Even better if you can rig it up to rest your rifle on top of your binos for shooting. That way you have 2 tools in one.

Have fun! Silverton is a amazing place you will love it. Be prepared for weather though. They can get snow early and heavy, and by heavy I mean multiple feet of snow. Acclimation to altitude is also a big concern in Colorado, get there a week early if you can. It is truly some of the most beautiful country you will ever find. Good luck!

Do you have any experience with the Precision Rifle Solutions stuff? It looks like for the money it's really hard to beat as long as it's quality.

I have been tripod glassing with a binocular for the last 4 years. It has totally elevated my success level. Use whatever works well for you and what you already have, the stabilization alone will allow you to see game that most casual glassing will overlook. I set up my HD Swaro 15x56's towards a section of terrain and just sit back without touching the glass look edge to edge for long periods, before moving on to the next segment of terrain.

I use this tripod for backpacking: Outdoorsmans Tripods | The Outdoorsmans

I have never hunted near Silverton but I have been there several times in the summer to camp and ride the ATV/Jeep trails. The altitude is ten to thirteen thousand feet. You will get short of breath real quick hiking at those altitudes. It takes a few days to acclimate. Also look up the ballistics on your rifle for altitude. It does make a difference. An ATV would be a real nice thing to have along, especially if you get an elk down. There are bears in the area so don't make your camp smell like a smorgasboard.

I have been using a high altitude training mask while hiking and running and climbing to train for my mule deer hunt in Idaho this fall. You can adjust it all the way to 15,000 ft elevation I believe.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408307638108.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408307638108.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
This is basically exactly what my response is. Once you start glassing through completely stabilized glass, even 8 or 10 power, the difference is drastic. Detail becomes much more obvious. As for the outdoorsman tripod, great tripod for packing and high country hunts. My hunts live off the outdoorsman tripod, pistol grip head and Swaro 15x56 HD's. Although if weight is a major concern on hikes I'll leave the 15's behind and glass with my Swaro 10x42 EL Ranges, just can't look quite as far....

I have been tripod glassing with a binocular for the last 4 years. It has totally elevated my success level. Use whatever works well for you and what you already have, the stabilization alone will allow you to see game that most casual glassing will overlook. I set up my HD Swaro 15x56's towards a section of terrain and just sit back without touching the glass look edge to edge for long periods, before moving on to the next segment of terrain.

I use this tripod for backpacking: Outdoorsmans Tripods | The Outdoorsmans

Do you have any experience with the Precision Rifle Solutions stuff? It looks like for the money it's really hard to beat as long as it's quality.
This is true! I have their tripod, saddle and ballhead. It's very light and pretty stable. It isn't going to compare to a bigger Bogen/Manfrotto tripod but the price is right and the people are fantastic.

Get some rum at the Montanya for your trip too...

Get precision rifle solutions, it rocks

If you want a good solution that is ultra light weight, very compact and stable as necessary get yourself a single telescoping shooting stick. They generally collapse down to 14" or so and extend to standing most times. It works great with binos just sitting on them giving your arms a nice break and great stability especially if you get into a good sitting position.

If you want a good solution that is ultra light weight, very compact and stable as necessary get yourself a single telescoping shooting stick. They generally collapse down to 14" or so and extend to standing most times. It works great with binos just sitting on them giving your arms a nice break and great stability especially if you get into a good sitting position.

I'm taking trekking poles…do you think that would suffice? I really like the idea of the tripod and @ 2 lbs I'm giving it serious consideration.

I have never hunted near Silverton but I have been there several times in the summer to camp and ride the ATV/Jeep trails. The altitude is ten to thirteen thousand feet. You will get short of breath real quick hiking at those altitudes. It takes a few days to acclimate. Also look up the ballistics on your rifle for altitude. It does make a difference. An ATV would be a real nice thing to have along, especially if you get an elk down. There are bears in the area so don't make your camp smell like a smorgasboard.

We were giving some thought to bringing an ATV…problem is none of us have one haha. I've had several in the past but with my current job it's pretty hard to justify one. I think we'll be using our feet for our ATV's this year.