• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bipod Attachment Method, Any Difference Mlok VS Pic rail?

oneofus_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Looking at bipods for a large frame gas gun. There are now options for direct Mlok mounting of a bipiod to a slot on the rail. However it seems to be in the minority still. Is there something i am missing? Is the picitinny mounting system better than Mlok for a bipod? Given the condition that this bipod never needs moved to another rifle and will live its life in this one system, does it make a difference?

Looking at bipods for a large frame gas gun. There are now options for direct Mlok mounting of a bipiod to a slot on the rail. However it seems to be in the minority still. Is there something i am missing? Is the picitinny mounting system better than Mlok for a bipod? Given the condition that this bipod never needs moved to another rifle and will live its life in this one system, does it make a difference?
Do a section of arca or pic rail. There are clamps that work on both like the area 419 arcalock or the rrs SC-arc. Bipods don't need to be dedicated to just 1 gun. Then it is easier to justify a better more expensive bipod.

I can use my atlas cal (with the old version of the SC-arc that required a spacer) on 5 different guns. If I wanted to use it on my pistols that goes up by 3.
20200122_114458.jpg

ARCA mounts and bipods spread the load out better. If you're predominantly shooting from the bipod, a handguard with an integral ARCA bottom rail would be your best bet, especially if you haven't bought the handguard yet.

The best setup is going to be the flat bottom seekins handguard with an arca rail on the bottom

If you do go the ARCA route, make sure you test/match the rail/clamps. I've seen so many ARCA attachments (bipods, tripods, bags, etc.) loosen/slide under recoil since they've become popular it's ridiculous. Usually because people are mixing brands etc. and the mating surfaces are not matching angles etc. Or stay with one of the versions that have a secondary locking mechanism to prevent sliding. It's hard to know how well they work in advance, I've seen expensive ones work horrible and cheap ones be super solid. It just depends on how the angles line up between the rail and clamp. Staying with the same brand for both is usually a safer bet.

Essentially you give up security of the mount for speed/ease of moving it around as it's just a friction interface, nothing interlocks. If the clamps are mated well it's not a big deal, but if they aren't it doesn't take much for them to slide even when they feel like they are clamped tight.

M-loc is a fiddly pain in the ass to install and remove. For “set it and forget it” addition of accessories, it’s fine. But, it’s not QD.

Bipods are great when they are needed, but a pain in the ass when they are not, or are actively in the way.

For the shooting that I do, hobbyist PRS and run and gun, and hunting, a bipod needs to be easily added and removed. I have a slight preference for arca, but pic rail is fine too. The RRS clamps that interface with both rails are great.