• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod- Ckye vs Tbac

caz41

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
MN
Anyone owned both the Tbac and Ckye pod? Is the Ckye worth the extra green? TIA

A lot of the competitors at the Steel Safari and other matches I run use the Ckye. This is my take on it. If you want a bipod that can go extremely high, like really high, use the Ckye. This is advantageous for some field positions. The downside is that it takes more time to set up (more fiddly, more controls). For a conventional (ie low) field bipod, I believe our bipod is faster and simpler to operate. It sort of depends on how you build your shooting positions and when you want to deploy the tripod or other higher support.

Anyone have good deals/discounts on TBAC? Have a few Ckyepods but would like to try out the TBAC for more field type shooting. It looks a bit more stable than wobbly ass ckyes.

Reactions: deersniper
Don't own a TBAC, but do own a Ckye-pod (and numerous other bipods).

Where the Ckye-pod is going to shine compared to the TBAC (and every other bipod) is field matches. The Ckye-pod is the most versatile bipod that I'm aware of. You can set this bipod up to shoot from many different positions that can't be accomplished by most other bipods. However, that does come at the penalty of extra time to properly setup.

That said, the TBAC bipod looks like a great quality bipod. If you don't need the versatility of the Ckye-pod, the TBAC seems like a great and simple option.

I don’t own a TBAC but I have fiddled with one and I shoot with guys who have them (and work at TBAC)I have been running a CKYE for a couple dozen matches now, since before the TBAC was a thing. The ckye is terrific off of goofy shaped stuff like rocks, angled sideways roof stuff…basically anything not flat and level, etc. it also happens to shoot really well off of flat ground too. I find no evidence with which to catagorize it as “wobbly ass”. The TBAC might be a better value if you don’t need the huge adjustability in leg length and angle, etc. TBAC doesn’t pan like the Ckye but has legs that sweep down…with the ckye you have to push a button, so that’s REALLY appealing from a speed standpoint. You can make the legs narrower and wider with the CKYE which can be helpful if you need to setup lengthwise on a narrow obstacle, for example. For a prone match, TBAC. For a field match, CKYE. Or get the one you can afford or find the best Black Friday deal on (MDT is notorious for great November deals).

Look at how you want to attach it to your gun and wether an adapter of some kind is required as that may change the cost calculation a bit.

Really, you can’t go wrong either way. Neither of these bipods will be the cause of missed shots assuming you have practiced, even just a little bit, with either one.

I have a triple pull, double pull and a tbac. Also had a prs leg ckyepod that I actually traded for the tbac. It all matters on what you are doing with it. Pure speed and weight advantage goes to the tbac. Versatility goes to the ckyepod. For field matches the ckyepod reigns with its ability to get high and also the ability to adapt to all the goofy angles and heights. How far they cant is undervalued until you have to shoot of a side hill steeply angled rocks ect. That said they come with a weight penalty and take longer to set up though as with anything practice speeds that up dramatically. But to answer whether it's worth the $$$ is purely personal use dependant. And as noted above if you want a ckyepod buy one of the black Friday sale ones. My double came from there at similar cost of a tbac with leg extensions

Reactions: BurtG
I have a double pull, triple pull, and tbac as well. I carry both my double and tbac to all my matches. Just depending on the stage layout that’s what I’ll use. I had a single pull ckye as well and would recommend the double over it.

@Zak Smith

How solid are the extensions when on the bipod? Solid enough to use it that way if full time? Any issues with retention when left on through say a hunt?

@Zak Smith

How solid are the extensions when on the bipod? Solid enough to use it that way if full time? Any issues with retention when left on through say a hunt?
I know I'm not Zac but I can speak for my tbac. It is definitely not as stable with the extensions. It has pay just by nature of how it is designed. They attatch the exact same way as the feet and feel pretty confident saying retention won't be a concern. All that isn't saying they are just sloppy because they aren't. The ckyepods still have more built in play in them then the tbac with extensions so they are plenty usable and just the slightest amount of load on them firms them up.
Oh and I have found one you install the extensions of you give them a good smack on the bottom that eliminates most of the play since they seem to have a right fitting taper

Tbac is better for an all around bipod. The mdt is better for prs matches because it was made expressly for that and it excells at it. Tbac is faster and easier and more compact.

I haven’t used a cyke but have the TBAC with extensions. I think of the TBAC as a high end Harris. What I mean by that is it fills lots of the same rolls as a modern day pivoting 9-13 Harris would. Obviously much better but same uses.

The TBAC does have some slop/wobble to it. Which the extensions add some to that.

I have the Atlas Cal Gen II and TBAC and use both. Also have an accu tac En route. Also have 5 or so Harris and a GGG

The Ckye and our bipod are really made for different purposes. hafejd30 is correct that we designed ours to be the "best conventional type bipod", at least as best as we could do. The play in it is on purpose, similar to the old AI/PH style. I never shoot mine with the leg extensions. If I need to go high, I use another support or a tripod

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
A lot of the competitors at the Steel Safari and other matches I run use the Ckye. This is my take on it. If you want a bipod that can go extremely high, like really high, use the Ckye. This is advantageous for some field positions. The downside is that it takes more time to set up (more fiddly, more controls). For a conventional (ie low) field bipod, I believe our bipod is faster and simpler to operate. It sort of depends on how you build your shooting positions and when you want to deploy the tripod or other higher support.
That is one hell of a classy answer Sir. (y)

I have atlas, ckye, and TBAC.

For 95% of positions, I like the TBAC the best. Stable, fast, solid. Quick.

Atlas is solid but slower to deploy.

Cyke is nice for really tall positions. Overall a lot more controls than either the atlas or tbac. I feel like a fatass deploying a ckye triple pull at matches because my shooting position becomes 36" wide.

Can anyone with a single pull Gen 2 standard Ckyepod give me a weight on it? Website says “starting at 21oz” which I’m guessing is the PRS version’s weight. Thanks!

Can anyone with a single pull Gen 2 standard Ckyepod give me a weight on it?
Here you go with some others for reference.

20221129_234607.jpg
20221129_234635.jpg
20221129_234652.jpg

I think theres a case to be made for both--especially the double/triple variant of the ckye along with the TBAC.

For match shooting about 95% of the time the TBAC is the superior choice, but for that last 5% the ckye indispensable

While I think the triple-pull Ckye is amazing for certain field matches (BOTC comes to mind) the lightweight double-pull is probably the most versatile. Gets you quite high (and as low as a single-pull) but only weighs 1lbs 5oz.

The tripple is unbelivably unstable , but for hunting or NRL hunter type gimmicks it has its value. In the last 2 years I used my tripple pull on ONE prs stage, and it was more of a speed hack than anything. Ended up selling it. Was hoping to get a double pull but MDT IT is run by actual retards so just bought a TBAC instead. Most of the guys I know who have used both the TBAC and Ckye prefer the TBAC.

For ultra stable, the Accutac HD50 is a rock. Short of something like a Phenoix or Iron Elite, its hard to beat for the money.

The tripple is unbelivably unstable , but for hunting or NRL hunter type gimmicks it has its value. In the last 2 years I used my tripple pull on ONE prs stage, and it was more of a speed hack than anything. Ended up selling it. Was hoping to get a double pull but MDT IT is run by actual retards so just bought a TBAC instead. Most of the guys I know who have used both the TBAC and Ckye prefer the TBAC.

For ultra stable, the Accutac HD50 is a rock. Short of something like a Phenoix or Iron Elite, its hard to beat for the money.
I'll have to disagree on the triple-pull being unstable, but I will grant that it is niche. I can shoot sub-moa groups using the triple-pull kneeling and tripod rear which is a super fast postion to get into, especially if you are already glassing/ranging off your tripod. For certain field matches, it's basically invaluable. I wanna say 4 of the top 5 teams at BOTC were running triple-pulls this year. I've actually never used one in PRS though, you can solve most stages with a gamechanger, haha.

Triple pulls are good for high angle shooting and actual field matches. NRL hunter is definitely not a field a match.

If you’re shooting box ranges like PRS I don’t think it matters. Standard length Ckyes or TBAC.. or Harris, or Atlas honestly it doesn’t matter for 95% of stages. There’s like one tire stage where the Ckye gains an advantage. The only 2 day I went to this year the winner was using Harris bipods.. so how important is this aspect as long as you have a proven bipods?

If you’re serious about field matches, like real ones, having double pulls might be a good option. But I don’t think it’s a huge requirement, a good tripod can overcome the need to get the rifle higher with bipods.

I would not do triples unless I was shooting high angle. In which case they’re helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG and Rob01

I have owned and used both at CD and square range matches. I prefer the double for both. Best thing one can do is try them all and pick your preferred flavor.