• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod facing forward or backward?

IronmanDaremo

Libtard Snowflake
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2019
Maryland
I've seen both positions being used in various images both here and on the rest of the interwebs. What is the advantage of having the legs fold forward - assuming the bipod only has a 90 degree rotation capability.

Is it so that when you load the legs, you don't run the risk of them collapsing in from the spring? I've been working on loading my Harris bipod at the range before taking my shots, and didn't think there was ever enough pressure to cause the legs to fold back?

correct harris legs fold forward so they dont collapse when rifle recoils

if loaded correctly on a low recoil or heavy rifle you can get away with them folding toward the trigger/back, but that is not the "correct way" and asking for trouble sooner or later

other bipods that have a locking pin like a atlas etc, the direction is user preference

Got it. I'm shooting an RPR 6.5CM, so recoil hasn't been an issue. I'll flip it around for the next time I go to the range.

Thanks!

Reactions: TACC
correct harris legs fold forward so they dont collapse when rifle recoils

if loaded correctly on a low recoil or heavy rifle you can get away with them folding toward the trigger/back, but that is not the "correct way" and asking for trouble sooner or later

other bipods that have a locking pin like a atlas etc, the direction is user preference

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. If recoil pushes the rifle back, and the legs rotate to the front, (e.g. Harris), then the legs could collapse given this argument.

I believe the Harris legs folding forward is so you can put some pressure into them without the chance of collapsing.

My legs fold forward on all my rifles so I can load the bipod. That is the way that I was taught to use a bipod. If their legs fold backwards I cannot do this.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. If recoil pushes the rifle back, and the legs rotate to the front, (e.g. Harris), then the legs could collapse given this argument.

I believe the Harris legs folding forward is so you can put some pressure into them without the chance of collapsing.

A rifle should only recoil a very short distance if at all when proper fundamentals are had.

if you try and load a bipod with legs folding toward the rear/trigger...hope you like cleaning dirt out of the bore

A rifle should only recoil a very short distance if at all when proper fundamentals are had.

if you try and load a bipod with legs folding toward the rear/trigger...hope you like cleaning dirt out of the bore
By the same token, if you are loading the bipod hard enough to overcome the spring tension on a Harris bipod, then you should probably revisit your fundamentals.

Harris folds forward to absorb the recoil. It's why the design is so easy to shoot well, as you can be lazy. They don't need to be loaded, as the legs can rock against the springs instead of hopping the legs.

Any of the locking designs you must load up and take the slack out. That slack lets it rock in the recoil instead of hop. It's also why they're much more critical on needing to be loaded against recoil.

Reactions: lash
Harris folds forward to absorb the recoil. It's why the design is so easy to shoot well, as you can be lazy. They don't need to be loaded, as the legs can rock against the springs instead of hopping the legs.

Any of the locking designs you must load up and take the slack out. That slack lets it rock in the recoil instead of hop. It's also why they're much more critical on needing to be loaded against recoil.

Sounds good on paper. But Harris bipod are notorious for “hopping” because people don’t load them properly.

Bipod still needs to be loaded, Harris or not.

Reactions: 308pirate

Also, fwiw, your understanding of what happens to the system under recoil is flawed.

Bullet goes one way, rifle goes the other. Any “hop” is because the shooter isn’t behind the gun properly. Either they give the gun a running start, or they are too tense and don’t absorb the recoil properly, and the gun takes the path of least resistance which is usually down and away from the shooter (causing a high left reticle jump for right handed shooter). That’s what causes the front of the rifle to “hop.”

Loading the bipod has very little to do with the mechanics of the bipod. Loading the slack out is a product of getting behind the rifle to properly manage recoil.

Also, fwiw, your understanding of what happens to the system under recoil is flawed.

Bullet goes one way, rifle goes the other. Any “hop” is because the shooter isn’t behind the gun properly. Either they give the gun a running start, or they are too tense and don’t absorb the recoil properly, and the gun takes the path of least resistance which is usually down and away from the shooter (causing a high left reticle jump for right handed shooter). That’s what causes the front of the rifle to “hop.”

Loading the bipod has very little to do with the mechanics of the bipod. Loading the slack out is a product of getting behind the rifle to properly manage recoil.

I didn't say it was right, but I've seen quite a few get away with it. Maybe because we have grippy rubber mats on our shooting benches the Harris feet grab.

I've had to explain to quite a few how to shoot an Atlas after they swear they broke a scope after switching from a Harris or clone.

for the tables that give enough room I like forward shorter tables back as long as I can lean into it a bit .

Flipped it around when I got to the range yesterday, loaded it properly, and shot at 200 yards. Felt much more reassured that things were working the way they were supposed to that way!

Average ended up being .872 MOA for twelve 5-round groups. Only my third time at the range on the rifle, first time out to 200 yards. Best group was 1.25" at 200 (.625 MOA).

All from the bench though .... still need to get prone and work on that.

Reactions: seansmd
I've always heard it is a bad idea to be loaded when shooting. I may have missed something in transmission.

383768328d685e5aebd8175093018675.jpg

The integrated Bipod of the Steyr Scout folds "Backward" and you need to be very careful when loading it as to not make it fold.

it is never correct and potentially dangerous to fold a bipod "backward" unless it is a fixed position like the Atlas.

A lot of the hunters do it because they don't want them to catch on everything

But it's wrong, a Harris is designed to fold forward, not backward.
Hunters do it because they don’t really know..

Most hunters in thick brush either don’t use a bipod or if they do a long one that can’t fold backwards because gets in the way..

I hunt and shoot matches. Often, I am afraid to say “I am a hunter” just for the lack of marksmanship many casual hunters display. Generally and historically (not always) hunters can not shoot all that well or really understand their weapon systems past the distance the average lady can hit a golf ball. I say this as a super generalized statement. The ones that put in the time and have good field skills often do the same same with the rifle side. These are the ones that can shoot :)

Reactions: VargmatII and lash
I like to load a Harris bipod on a gas gun. I find it easier to stay on target by doing this to reduce the movement from the bolt moving. With a bolt rifle I try to settle the rifle without as much load in the bipod. Is this a poor practice?

Last edited:
But Harris bipod are notorious for “hopping” because people don’t load them properly.

Bipod still needs to be loaded, Harris or not.
Since this is the stupid question forum, I'll ask . . . . . what is "loading" a bipod? Sounds like it means you need to be sure that it's got forward pressure, so legs are canted rearward from the stock to the feet, when you pull the trigger, so it can give a little with the recoil?

Watch some of Lowlight's videos. See how he always lifts the stock and settles into the rifle? Applying mild forward pressure so you create a solid connection b/w you and the rifle. This is the "loading" of the bipod. If the bipod does not have a stable surface to bite into, it will move. That is also why you can get different "feet" for some bipods; to dig into the surface.

Watch some of Lowlight's videos. See how he always lifts the stock and settles into the rifle? Applying mild forward pressure so you create a solid connection b/w you and the rifle. This is the "loading" of the bipod. If the bipod does not have a stable surface to bite into, it will move. That is also why you can get different "feet" for some bipods; to dig into the surface.

Thanks. I think I got it now but it only leads to the next stupid question - How do I find lowlight videos? I see from above that lowlight is HMFIC of this stuff , but didn't see how to find any videos.

And, well OK, the next stupid question - I'm purty sure I figured out MFIC, but what is H?

"Head mfer in charge".

You can go to Youtube, search Lowlight/Sniper's Hide, and subscribe. Tons of good videos on precision shooting. Online training unlocks more videos and really informative stuff (I still need would like to sign up, just haven't yet).

"Head mfer in charge".

You can go to Youtube, search Lowlight/Sniper's Hide, and subscribe. Tons of good videos on precision shooting. Online training unlocks more videos and really informative stuff (I still need would like to sign up, just haven't yet).

OK thanks. I figured it could've been Head, Highest, Holy, Honored, Heavy, Hotshot, or maybe all of them.

I will definitely go to the online training, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Thanks. I think I got it now but it only leads to the next stupid question - How do I find lowlight videos? I see from above that lowlight is HMFIC of this stuff , but didn't see how to find any videos.

And, well OK, the next stupid question - I'm purty sure I figured out MFIC, but what is H?
Head

I just got my Warne Skyline bipod. I noted in Youtube videos that these were made with 6 and 3 notch adjustment. Mine is the 3, so Warne must have updated the original 6 notch to that so that users had a rapid deploy.

It seems to me that legs folded toward the muzzle is correct, but on my Warne if I do that I lose the 45 degree forward setting. The 45 degree backward setting seems useless to me, tell me if I'm wrong there, but I can see the usefulness of the 45 degree forward setting. On my bipod if I want that, I will have to fold my legs to the rear if I want to enjoy the quick deploy feature.

If you guys see me at the range with my bipod legs folded backwards are you going to make fun of me? lol

There is a guy on here that makes a recoil free bipod. It doesnt get hung up on things cause it has a spike and some s&m gear and a few ratchet straps. From the thread i read he is a true believer.... im trying to remember if that erector set folded or not....

A couple years ago, I was about 4 tables down from a guy trying to sight in a new rifle with bipods off the bench . Can’t remember what brand but it was a high end in a large 30 caliber. He had a target at 25, 50 and 100. I was admiring the rifle and was curious how it was grouping. I was far enough away so he didn’t notice me checking and he went through 2 boxes of ammunition and never hit the 100 yard paper. I was watching that thing bounce when he shot. I know better than to offer advice unless asked so I just kept my lips zipped but man. I bet he called the manufacturer and made a fuss that it wouldn’t shoot. Probably a .5 rifle