• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod heigth for prone shooting

Cz455guru

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2017
In one of the podcast, Frank makes a comment about lifting the bipods up. (I think I heard right, if not that's what I thought I heard lol) I was struggling to get a friend's 6.5 Creed Weatherby mark 5 to shoot with my normal prone position, which is as low as I can get, so I was like screw it, I'll lift my bipod and get a bigger rear bag so I have to lift my upper body off the ground Abit more. What do you know it went from shooting about 1 moa to .5 moa with this adjustment. Can anybody comment on the mechanics of proper form when shooting from a bipod in relation to heigth. Maybe I've had it wrong all my life trying to get everything low to the ground.

Reactions: Enough Said
Frank had a great analogy about kids lying on the floor watching TV with their elbows on the ground and hands supporting their heads. No one tells them which was is most comfortable, they do it naturally.

Same idea; find what is most comfortable for you and your body type.

I also posted this question in advance marksmanship. After I put it here I got to thinking it might not be the right place.

Go to the Alaska precision rifle training section, Jim B just posted a bunch of pictures and you can see what we do

You don't want to lay on top of the rifle, like a lot of comp guys do, for them it's fine, they are moving quickly and only shooting a little bit,

For us, you want a work space under the rifle to operate, to freely drop the mag, and getting higher keeps your head straight, the lower you go, the more you have to roll your head over to see.

img_3530-1280x874-jpg.7348471

img_3533-1280x823-jpg.7348485

The other benefit, the recoil will go in a straight line because we are leveling the rifle as best we can for the terrain.

The bipod height was mentioned in the book as well. When I read it, a lightbulb turned on.

The difference in my head position really produced a lot more comfort and better outcomes

Bipod height, but not too much, creates a work space. Had a student this week who complained his arm was falling asleep. We raised his bipod two clicks and he never had that problem again.

It's the reason why I don't need a level, the bipod and keeping my head straight not rolled,

You just look at the scope, adjust it level, tighten the bipod and the rest takes care of itself

So what you are saying is...these guys that come on here and pimp scope levels....can't understand why we don't need them...because when they have their heads rolled over... their built in levels can't work...and they are using a level to correct a flaw in their fundamentals....but then they turn around and forget to use them...heh

Comfort and natural point of aim (NPA) are really improved when you get that bipod into a more physiological position. When you can get behind the rifle and not have your muscles involved and/or fatigue to maintain sight picture, wheww its a whole lot more comfortable, enjoyable, and improves your shooting. Great thread guys.