• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod help

Mauser06

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
NW Pennsylvania
Setting up my first precision rifle.

The stock is a Manners PRS-2.

I didn't know what to go with for bipod mounts etc. So I had the standard 2 sling studs mounted on the front.

Bipods have seemed to evolve rapidly recently as did mounts.

Any recommendations on what to run? I don't know that I want a full length ARCA rail at the moment. Don't know that it's needed? For now, I will be shooting prone off the bipod or off a bench off the bipod or a mechanical benchrest.

Just a whole lot of options and such. Probably looking at a Harris or Atlas. But not even sure what models and/or features I'd want/need.

Thanx!

I have been using the Magpul Bipod since October on a CZ457 ProVarmint. No complaints though I recently bought the Atlas BT65-LW17 Gen. 2 CAL - have not shot it yet the difference in quality of the build, fit and finish is clear.

Start by defining the use of the tool. Features are designed for different disciplines. Shooting a PRS match has different requirements that shooting off a bench. Then buy the best one you can afford of that type.

This will be great after you mount the Area 419 rail mentioned earlier. They have a “blem” sale going on right now but you need the picatinny QD clamp in the first link. Saves 15%. You can always resale it if you try others down the road you like better. They hold value very well.

Start by defining the use of the tool. Features are designed for different disciplines. Shooting a PRS match has different requirements that shooting off a bench. Then buy the best one you can afford of that type.

I don't plan on shooting PRS matches right this second. But maybe in the future. Mostly a longer range steel banger to get my feet wet. The range I will be shooting is setup in PRS style so I could and would take advantage of learning to shoot positional etc.

Don't necessarily need a bipod to shoot from a bench as I have a mechanical benchrest.

This weighs more and doesn’t swivel. Often people add weight in PRS so....
It’s my favorite over Atlas because of how stable it is and ease of deployment/manipulation of the legs with one hand. Built like a tank.

Not cheap but rock solid on ONE stud. I use it on a 300 WBY Mag hunting rifle. I use the swive for my sling for carrying. Never had a problem.
I’d still use the Area 419 2 screw rail if I had that option though. This is if you want to keep a swivel stud mounted on there to have more mounting options this is the ticket. Beware of cheap Amazon knock offs.

Setting up my first precision rifle.

The stock is a Manners PRS-2.

I didn't know what to go with for bipod mounts etc. So I had the standard 2 sling studs mounted on the front.

Bipods have seemed to evolve rapidly recently as did mounts.

Any recommendations on what to run? I don't know that I want a full length ARCA rail at the moment. Don't know that it's needed? For now, I will be shooting prone off the bipod or off a bench off the bipod or a mechanical benchrest.

Just a whole lot of options and such. Probably looking at a Harris or Atlas. But not even sure what models and/or features I'd want/need.

Thanx!
If you can afford it, I'd go with the Atlas Gen 2 BT65-LW17, I love mine!
I also did a short video about Harris & Magpul below, that people seem to like.
For me,, I'd go with Magpul if you can't get an Atlas though.

My main gripe with the harris bipod is the sling swivel stud attachment. Even after tightening the tensioning knob with a bit driver, it will still work itself loose under recoil.
Finally went to an atlas cal with a pic rail clamp, and it stays tight now no matter what. The difference is night and day. I can’t recommend moving from a sling sivel stud to a rail system enough.

Reactions: Kasey and Vamike9
I have a Harris, Atlas PSR, and TBAC. I like them all for different things.

Harris with a pod lock locks up tighter than any of them. TBAC tension stays where I set it, and I like the feel of the preload on it. The PSR is hardest to deploy, but is rock solid. My biggest complaint about it was fixed with the CAL (tension knob loosens). I use an rrs ARCA clamp on the TBAC and Atlas. Harris is sling stud. I am always switching between the TBAC and Atlas on my rifles with ARCA rails on them.

Hope there's a nugget in there somewhere that helps.

Any pros/cons for pic rail vs ARCA??

I see I can get a smaller ARCA rail like the pic rail suggested.

Just something that caught my eye as I was browsing.

My personal take on that is the arca type rails don’t have an actual standard, unlike the rrs dovetail or arca lock thing area 419 does. So mixing and matching mounts and clamps will have some varying degrees of compatibility, whereas picatinny is a mil standard, its more universal, and the slots act as recoil lugs. Things aren’t going to slide off a pic rail like they can with the arca system. Which is also the pro of the arca...loosen a clamp and you can slide things forward or back without having to completely remove or be committed to a specific rail slot. It depends on your use case.

Reactions: Mauser06
One thing I like better about Atlas is the feet grab so much better.
Not sure how much I like the pre tensioned cant, but it's good so far...
And with the KMW lever, it locks down rock solid.
Atlas, having a wider base, does feel more stable as well, to me...

Reactions: Kasey
I think the rails whether pic or arca are going to be more solid than a sling swivel just because it has more real estate for the clamp to grab onto. Arca is more of a nice to have rather than need to have unless its a comp gun in my opinion (I bought an Atlas CAL gen 2 with no clamp and put the RRS clamp that has picatinny and arca so I can swap between match gun and hunting gun). As far as which bipod, the atlas is great but the harris does everything you need it to and is easier and faster to deploy. I would say either one of those unless your going to jump up to a ckye pod

I recently went through a similar “dilemma”. I currently run a Harris with the ADM QD mount but was looking to add another bipod. I like having cross compatibility between rifle setups, and like the stability of an arca mount and leveling base on a tripod...I also wasn’t thrilled at spending $250-500 on a simple bipod. I know all precision rifle stuff comes at a premium but it’s painful how expensive some things have become. So, I bought a couple “mini” carbon fiber tripods with an integrated leveling base and arca mount for $150. I’m going to see how they do across a couple hundred rounds of 6.5CM, 7mm SS and .338 SS before I give my final assessment, but so far I’m impressed. More stable than a bipod and a lot of maneuverability. I can’t figure out how to upload a video right now, but it has the same amount of travel/maneuverability as any leveling base. 15 deg of cant in all directions and unlimited pan. Has a lever similar to the kmw podlok that locks it down right at the rear.

Attachments

• 7A7D9A2E-C90A-462D-8CDA-BC96B865E62A.jpeg
    7A7D9A2E-C90A-462D-8CDA-BC96B865E62A.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 144
  • AC984294-311D-49A4-AF36-8337E3E24A0E.jpeg
    AC984294-311D-49A4-AF36-8337E3E24A0E.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 1E190327-66F3-484B-B26D-D30149CFABB7.jpeg
    1E190327-66F3-484B-B26D-D30149CFABB7.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 744152EA-5996-4AD9-8890-11B5666E87F6.jpeg
    744152EA-5996-4AD9-8890-11B5666E87F6.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 3C28BA1F-F33C-4F79-89C0-933BBAEDCEA4.jpeg
    3C28BA1F-F33C-4F79-89C0-933BBAEDCEA4.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 97CCE85F-5FDF-400B-89E1-7B73743FA955.jpeg
    97CCE85F-5FDF-400B-89E1-7B73743FA955.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I moved from a harris to an atlas CAL gen 2. I wish I could have tried a Atlas 9 years ago... the rock solid stance alone is worth it but it also doesnt do funny things with heavier recoil like my harris did.

Reactions: Vamike9
My main gripe with the harris bipod is the sling swivel stud attachment. Even after tightening the tensioning knob with a bit driver, it will still work itself loose under recoil.

Never had that happen in over two decades of using them on everything from .22LR to 300WM. I tighten them down with an allen tool and they stay tight. Snug them a little more than you have and they will stay.

I recently went through a similar “dilemma”. I currently run a Harris with the ADM QD mount but was looking to add another bipod. I like having cross compatibility, between rifle setups, and like the stability of an arca mount and leveling base on a tripod...I also wasn’t thrilled at spending $250-500 on a simple bipod. I know all precision rifle stuff comes at a premium but it’s painful how expensive some things have become. So, I bought a couple “mini” carbon fiber tripods with an integrated leveling base and arca mount for $150. I’m going to see how they do across a couple hundred rounds of 6.5CM, 7mm SS and .338 SS before I give my final assessment, but so far I’m impressed. More stable than a bipod and a lot of maneuverability. I can’t figure out how to upload a video right now, but it has the same amount of travel/maneuverability as any leveling base. 15 deg of cant in all directions and unlimited pan. Has a lever similar to the kmw podlok that locks it down right at the rear.

Neat. What parts did you use for that?

I dont even use the tools and my Harris stays tight.. But I do prefer the Atlas over the Harris in most situations. Can't recommend them enough in a "Buy once, cry once" situation.

I bought a few Harris bipods back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Back then they were the sweet spot of price/function/quality. Especially when you are a broke, just out of collage entry level shooter. But fast forward 25 years, and the whole GWOT, and what was cutting edge then is old today*. I bought a MagPul several months ago and like it better than the old Harris bipods. I'm still keeping them, using them on my .22lrs. But MagPul for the centerfires.

*Not that old is bad. I've been on a retro kick the last few years. Given the option between a 16" barreled 300BLK supersonic and a Winchester94 in 30-30, I'll grab my Win94. Or a Cold War era HK91 over a civvie SCAR-H.

I recommend the Modular Evolution carbon fiber bipod with stackable / interchangeable legs. They mount to picatinny rail, are very solid and light weight. With the interchangeable legs you can go from prone to sitting to standing if you want. They are very unique and an incredible piece of kit!

Reactions: Schroedernd
So, how did the longt erm work out of the Leofoto LS-223CEX + RH-0 Leveling Base/panning clamp Cerbon Tripod with Plate/ARCA/
work for you?

Never had that happen in over two decades of using them on everything from .22LR to 300WM. I tighten them down with an allen tool and they stay tight. Snug them a little more than you have and they will stay.
That's also been my experience. They work, and are a good option if you're unsure if you want to start buying more gear to make competing a little easier.

I think B&T industries makes a pic rail that can be screwed into your existing sling stud holes.

I didn't like the atlas CAL very much. The tensioning knob kind of sucks. It came loose often and never completely locked out the cant. I say buy a Harris and attend some matches. See if you like it and ask to try other people's bipods to see which one you prefer.

That's also been my experience. They work, and are a good option if you're unsure if you want to start buying more gear to make competing a little easier.

I think B&T industries makes a pic rail that can be screwed into your existing sling stud holes.

I didn't like the atlas CAL very much. The tensioning knob kind of sucks. It came loose often and never completely locked out the cant. I say buy a Harris and attend some matches. See if you like it and ask to try other people's bipods to see which one you prefer.
Accu-Tac makes a rail that screws down to the sling stud very firm. It’s is really well made.

I recommend the Modular Evolution carbon fiber bipod with stackable / interchangeable legs. They mount to picatinny rail, are very solid and light weight. With the interchangeable legs you can go from prone to sitting to standing if you want. They are very unique and an incredible piece of kit!
AHHAHAHAHA. The CEO of that company ripped off a bunch of Hide members in 2009 and then started making bipods which B&T sued him over. AVOID.

Ask @Lowlight