• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bipod on concrete question

Len5E1

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this community but I made an intro post over in the new members section. I am curious about using a Bipod on concrete but I noticed in one of SH videos he said it's a BAAAD idea. I am new to the long range game and will be using an LR308 platform which will already have it's pitfalls so I want to try and eliminate any unnecessary variables that will affect my POI. Since skill will probably already be an issue, I don't need other things I wasn't even aware of until recently making me think I'm more terrible than I am :)

That said, I have done a few searches but the information is very broad. I see that some people use claw feet or other doodads to help with the bipod on concrete issue. I have been to my local 1000 yard range that uses primarily concrete shooting benches and a LOT of people use bipods over sandbags for the front. I like the concept of a bipod and would love to use one, but if it will cause random fliers and other issues then I will have to rethink this. The SH video didn't go in to detail on loading the bipod on concrete or anything like that but I wanted to see what the general consensus is here. If I can use a bipod properly and eliminate the issue of consistency that is what I would like to do.

One last question. I came across a video where someone was using a monopod at a 45 degree angle on the rear stock so that it could be used like a sandbag with your offhand pivoting it as necessary. Is this a good/bad idea? This just popped in my mind and I have done zero research on the issue but figured I would ask since it's mostly on topic.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or input!

Len

Steel is hard, concrete is hard. It's best to put something soft between them. Rubber feet for concrete, the claws and spikes are for grass, sand and mud.

Think if you were hunting you would not rest your rifle on rocks you would put your pack or your blanket or your glove on the rock so that there was something soft between the hard rifle and the hard rock, so really you already know the answer you are only doubting your self.

You are spot on. A bipod in general can create POI issues. You have to be very consistent when shooting at distance. Some would call “loading the bipod an issue.” It is very hard to apply an even loading to a bipod on concrete. I struggle with this as others must do. You might want to shoot over your pack if you want to avoid this. My groups shrink when I shoot over my pack on a concrete bench. I don’t think that there is an easy solution but you could put a piece of carpet down to help you “load the bipod.”

Most important. Enjoy your trip to the range.

You are spot on. A bipod in general can create POI issues. You have to be very consistent when shooting at distance. Some would call “loading the bipod an issue.” It is very hard to apply an even loading to a bipod on concrete. I struggle with this as others must do. You might want to shoot over your pack if you want to avoid this. My groups shrink when I shoot over my pack on a concrete bench. I don’t think that there is an easy solution but you could put a piece of carpet down to help you “load the bipod.”

Most important. Enjoy your trip to the range.
Thanks for the input. I just wanted to be sure of the common opinion - I am new to this after all :) I guess I will just go with some sort of bag setup for now since I won't be shooting off anything but concrete in the near future. Sure I could use rubber feet on the bipod, but if that's just a band-aid then I'd rather do it the right way from the start.

The rifle will be less forgiving of your fundamentals (or any lack thereof) when shooting on concrete.

Yes, softer material will help as an aid, but more importantly is employing the fundamentals 100%, such as being straight behind the rifle, as the rifle/recoil is going to exploit on any mistake you make on that part and go off course.

With proper application of fundamentals, you can be just as capable off of concrete or other hard surfaces.

This is super old, and not a very good video, but should help a bit

Understand a few things have changed since this was recorded

Here is different but newer video, the real ones, all 45 Minutes Plus on Loading the Bipod are in the Online Training Section you can access by Upgrading your account

We wrote the book on Recoil Management down at Rifles Only all those years ago and have it done pretty good

I'd also add to the OP, remember you're shooting a semi-auto. Follow through (in my experience) tends to be much more critical with a semi-auto, as there are a lot of parts moving around as the bullet starts moving down range. I know this is off on a tangent to the bipod question, but figured I'd bring it up, since it will be part of the recoil management aspect of using a bipod.

v/r

I'd also add to the OP, remember you're shooting a semi-auto. Follow through (in my experience) tends to be much more critical with a semi-auto, as there are a lot of parts moving around as the bullet starts moving down range. I know this is off on a tangent to the bipod question, but figured I'd bring it up, since it will be part of the recoil management aspect of using a bipod.

v/r
I do appreciate this. That is something I caught in my research as well and I appreciate the reminder. From what I read, it is important to follow through and not reset the trigger until the the complete action and recoil has completed. If I remember correctly, some people would reset their trigger immediately after the pull which would cause inconsistencies and such.

I think I will just upgrade my sub and get access to those full length videos. I love watching this stuff at night when I should be sleeping.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Don't over think it, its not any different than shooting with a bipod off a bench, table, hood, tire, post, roof, on on and on. Just try to be consistent as you can, as much as you can.

And P.S., take everything you read on here with a grain of salt, I read some stupid shit on here sometimes. There is some awesome, experienced guys on here that are really helpful. There are also a few keyboard commandos that get internet experience confused with real world experience. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited:
The beard hair color change is an indication of video age with respect to Frank's age.....a Frank-year or five....

Just to prove that you can shoot good groups off of concrete with a bipod. This was shot today (5 shot group), off the concrete, using a Ckye-pod which has metal claws. It all comes down to employing the fundamentals properly. No needs for aids if the shooter does his part.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180504_100543.jpg
    MVIMG_20180504_100543.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180504_100830.jpg
    IMG_20180504_100830.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 73
Dont like, we all know that's a 2 shot group. /s - but seriously, nice job. That makes me feel a little better, but obviously I am just trying to be as informed as possible. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just to prove that you can shoot good groups off of concrete with a bipod. This was shot today (5 shot group), off the concrete, using a Ckye-pod which has metal claws. It all comes down to employing the fundamentals properly. No needs for aids if the shooter does his part.

You missed the bullseye?