• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Question/s

MichaelCox

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2013
Phx, AZ
Hello everyone,

I did use the search function but I must be retarded because any time I type in something to search it only pics one word and finds it so I get all these irrelevant searches.

I'm a new LR shooter and I bought a Tikka T3 Tactical .308 with a 20in barrel and I am looking to buy a bipod for it. Issue is I have no idea which one or which size I should get.

I know a lot of people use Harris and some use Atlas. If I need to spend $300+ I will but if I don't need to I don't want to.

Application I want to be able to push the limits of the rifle as far as distance goes. I'm not a hunter so this will be for target and if the sh!t hits the fan keeping two legged critters at bay.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Questions:</span></span>

1. What size bipod should I be looking at?
2. What brand would be best for me?
3. Should I buy different feet/pads?

As always thank you in advance for any and all help.

Michael

Re: Bipod Question/s

I think the Harris 6-9 with the notched legs will suit most. Will cost you about $100. Don't over think it.

My vote goes for an Atlas as long as you don't need the quickly deploying legs on the Harris. Much nicer to shoot off of.

Harris 6-9, swivel, with notched legs. And get a Pod Lok for it.

Michael
I agree with scissorhands, I had the exact same rifle few years ago and the little Harris with notched legs worked fine, no need to change anything on bipod.
Enjoy your rifle, buy a good scope/rings/base (get a scope base with a minimum of 20 or 30 moa built in; if I remember correctly, the T-3 Tactical .308 came with a flat base), practice a lot, in all different conditions, learn about wind, density altitude, humidity (it can and will affect your POI) and establish your dope data from 100 yards to 800 or 1000 yards. Experiment with different ammo; the factory Federal 168 GMM should be very good up to 800 but you may start to experience some funky results after that, as it is pushing the envelope for the 168. The same ammo with the 175 bullet should allow for more accurate longer shots but eventually you will find out when/where your accuracy is going down the drain. Your 20" barrel will be OK to reach and hit your target at these distances, just do not go any shorter on the barrel, as you say you want to "push the limits of the rifle, as far as distance goes"
I do not know if you reload or shoot factory ammo. Back then, I did not reload but had very good accuracy with factory Fed. 168 GMM SMK BTHP, as I was, most of the time, shooting within 800 yards.
Have fun, good shooting.
Ombre noire

Harris 6-9 swivel for $100 should be all you need. Own a few of these and a pair that telescope to 23" all have served me well on the bench and while hunting.

Hey fellas,

FWIW I'm getting a Vortex Raazor HD 5-20x50 EBR-3 scope. The T3 Tac does come with a pic flat rail on it. So I guess I will need to change that out for a 20moa or can I/should I do this adjustment with the rings? I thought I would get the Vortex rings and lap them in.

Thanks again for all the help.

Michael

I had the top end Harris and hated it. Sent it back and now I have the Atlas with the quick clamp. Pretty happy with it. I thought about buying the spiked feet a while back for when I am off of the shooting mat but I ended up not being able to justify the extra $50 bucks on that particular order.

I'm pretty sure the vortex razor has 100+ MOA of internal travel. How much do you need to come up for the range you are shooting? Do you really need a 20-30 MOA base?

Badger 20 or 30 MOA STEEL rail. Bed it with JBWeld as per the suggestions on YouTube.

ATLAS bipod. The Harris seems like stamped and folded sheet metal in comparison to the smooth machined fit and finish of the Atlas. Atlas is more variable in every direction. No garage door springs to snag things. Deploys much quieter. The newer models deploy quickly, quicker than the Harris.

Pull up catalog photos of the two bipods. Look at reviews on YouTube. It's simple to see the difference in quality between the two. The Harris "Will work fine". The Atlas will work beautifully and smoothly and be a pleasure to operate.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

I depends on the max distance that you plan on shooting and the caliber, some scopes will run out of adjustment at extreme long ranges. The 20 MOA base will give you more 'up' adjustment. It usually will still allow you to sight in down to 100 hundred yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt:Lumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger 20 or 30 MOA STEEL rail. Bed it with JBWeld as per the suggestions on YouTube.
Sgt Lumpy - n0eq </div></div>

please do not attatch anything to your action with jb weld no matter what youtube tells you to do. that is some permanent shit right there.

oh ya a harris will work just fine. just pick one you like and try it chances are you will end up trying a few before you find one YOU like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokestick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt:Lumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger 20 or 30 MOA STEEL rail. Bed it with JBWeld as per the suggestions on YouTube.
Sgt Lumpy - n0eq </div></div>

please do not attatch anything to your action with jb weld no matter what youtube tells you to do. that is some permanent shit right there.

oh ya a harris will work just fine. just pick one you like and try it chances are you will end up trying a few before you find one YOU like. </div></div>

Scope base bedding is pretty standard on precision rifles. Not bedding your base is a good way to jack up your scope tube. And no, it's not permanent.

As far as the scope base elevation, if your scope can zero at 100 yards with a 20MOA base, which is nearly all of scopes, there really isn't a real disadvantage to having an angled base. Get one and forget about it; the extra elevation adjustment will be nice if you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MichaelCox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey fellas,

FWIW I'm getting a Vortex Raazor HD 5-20x50 EBR-3 scope. The T3 Tac does come with a pic flat rail on it. So I guess I will need to change that out for a 20moa or can I/should I do this adjustment with the rings? I thought I would get the Vortex rings and lap them in.

Thanks again for all the help.

Michael

</div></div>

FWIW, you could go with one of the following routes and not have to buy a 20 MOA base, install it, and purchase/lap new rings in addition:

http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/ultralite-unimount/

http://www.spuhr.com/Our%20models.html

These are just a couple examples - there are also other respected manufacturers that produce 20 MOA canted one piece mounts.

if money is an issure you can try the caldwell bipod, it comes with pivot and notched legs. I have used one the last two hunting seasons and have no complaints, for half the price of the harris. That said, an atlas would be nice.

I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago just getting into long range shooting....

If shooting a 175 grain pill at 2500-2550 you will probalby need abot 12-13 Mils or 40-45 MOA to get it there. If you scope has this much adjustment after your zero then you probably will not need a cant base
With the Vortex HD Scope I beleive it has 35mm tube and I bet you will have enough adjustment......

As to the bipod I orginally went with a Harris because I knew I would probably upgrade later so I wanted one I could sell. I recently went with a Atlas but I shot fine with the Harris for a couple of years.....

I would look at getting into reloading unless you are already into it....
Your funds should be spent on being able to shoot and shoot a lot and reloading gets you into .61 per round instead of $1.50 after the Lapua Brass invsetment....

Just my .02 but enjoy and welcome to the sport...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Map_It</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago just getting into long range shooting....

If shooting a 175 grain pill at 2500-2550 you will probalby need abot 12-13 Mils or 40-45 MOA to get it there. If you scope has this much adjustment after your zero then you probably will not need a cant base
With the Vortex HD Scope I beleive it has 35mm tube and I bet you will have enough adjustment......

As to the bipod I orginally went with a Harris because I knew I would probably upgrade later so I wanted one I could sell. I recently went with a Atlas but I shot fine with the Harris for a couple of years.....

I would look at getting into reloading unless you are already into it....
Your funds should be spent on being able to shoot and shoot a lot and reloading gets you into .61 per round instead of $1.50 after the Lapua Brass invsetment....

Just my .02 but enjoy and welcome to the sport... </div></div>

Okay first thing's first:
I honestly am not sure if this is what you are talking about but yes, it is a 35mm tube and this is what is what I could find; <span style="font-weight: bold">Max Elevation Adjustment 36 mrads.</span>

Can anyone tell me if that is enough or do I need or should I get a canted base?

I currently reload .45 acp but have never loaded rifle.

I'll probably go with the Atlas just because I know me.

36 mil total elevation adjustment means 18 mil up or down adjustment from optical zero (ie. the reticle centered in its travel). After a 100 yd zero, you should have around 17+ mil upward adjustment remaining (~60 MOA). With a 175 SMK pushing even as slow as 2600 fps (which might be very close to going subsonic at 1000 yd), you'd only need somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 mil elevation. Sounds like you may not need a canted base at all.

I was always a Harris 6"-9" bipod user but found in many cases the notched legs would not give me a level hold. I started using the swivel model which solved that problem. My last purchase was an Atlas for my AIAW. It allows you to swivel left to right as well as side to side which I really like. The Harris swivel models are fine but I just like the build quality and ability to control the weapon left to right movement as well as horizontal movement. It's worth the extra $$$ to me.

Thank guys,
All great info. I think (And please correct me here) I should get a canted base just so that if I ever want to go to the 1200 yard mark I would be able to reach it. However if I don't/won't need it that's good too.

I'm sure I'm going to go with teh Atlas bipod so if anyone has one they want to get rid of let me know. I can't post in teh WTB section yet.

Thanks again,
Michael

if you want to get to 1200, you'll probably need a 20moa base. 1k, you're fine but that last 100 will be an issue.

You may be able to get away with just using the dots/hashes and hold over and not worry about it...but it's just a guess on that.

Bipod- Atlas is a great bipod but it's too expensive for what I'd use it for...Harris or Caldwell. I've always used Harris and never had a failure...but I don't try to beat it up either. If I was going to be very rough with it, Atlas, GG&G, Tango Down, are what I'd be looking at.

Michael
That's what I was saying from the beginning but it is good for you to get several opinions. Several years ago, with a Tikka T3 Tactical, flat base, 20" barrel, just like yours, I ran out of elevation on my scope, I think it was an IOR 3.5-18x something...Anyway, as I learned my lesson, I now always have as much MOA on my base as my scope's elevation allows me (don't go overboard, that's important for closer shots), so no bad surprise. The T3 is a good little rifle that will shoot sub MOA easy (mine was), as long as you do your part. The Harris is GTG but the configuration of the Atlas allows for more possibilities on where you want/need the bipod's legs to be, depending on your FP's landscape.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Thanks Ombre...

I'm a little worried about bedding in a new base plate. I would want to make sure it was right. I could get one of teh one pieces but they look bulky as sh!t.

No worries, one piece Badger scope base GTG, it actually reinforce the rigidity of your action and once your scope is on, you won't even pay attention to it. You can ask your Gunsmith to install it, so you know it will be done the right way.
Btw, I rather drive an extra 50 miles (or more) to bring my guns to a good Gunsmith, than going to see a so so one closer, IMHO.
Ombre noire

I have a Harris clone (I know, but it has held up fine so far) which will live on my FNAR.

For the bolt gun I just assembled I ordered an Atlas.

A Hide member, Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs, has the 2 screw picatinny rail model for $219 shipped and the other model for $279. Maybe MAP pricing, the same as I've seen elsewhere, but he ships for free so it was the best deal I found plus a Hide member.

Joe

Hello again,

I ordered the Atlas bipod and plate I need for it along with a Badger ADI. I'm going to get a new base plate from EGW and I think I'll use the Precision Matched medium plus rings and lap them in.

If anyone can think of something else I my need please let me know.

Thanks again for all the help...