• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bipod question

Jaeger_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Indiana
I just finished an SPR build and now I'm needing a Bipod, something short and stubby, any suggestions ?

I love my atlas. best bipod I've ever owned. get the quick detatch one and you can easily change it from gun to gun

I love my atlas. best bipod I've ever owned. get the quick detatch one and you can easily change it from gun to gun

+1 Atlas is leading the industry in quality and durability. They do, however, run $200+

Harris bipods come in closer to the $100 mark with the addition of a podloc (necessary IMO) They're a solid place to start from but lots of guys find them to be too rigid to load properly.

You'll keep a bipod even if you sell the rifle it was used on, so get a good one. It's a one time purchase that will be with you for a while. Good luck!

Harris w/ KMW Pod-Loc or Atlas, either one will work great. The Atlas has some neat features if an extra $100-150 isn't an issue for you.

Atlas or a Harris S-BRM (6-9", leg notch, swivel). I love my Atlas bipods and use them almost exclusively these days except for on rifles where adapting the Atlas isn't an option for various reasons (lack of picatinny rail or the ease of attaching one without hacking up a rifle is the big 'un). Nothing wrong with the Harris per se...but the Atlas just serves me better.

It really comes down to what features you want/need (aside from "short and stubby"), how you plan to mount it, your budget, etc.

If you opt for the Harris, plan on adding a pod-loc, and depending on whether you have to mount to a swivel stud on your rifle or a picatinny rail section, plan on adding an adapter of some sort if its the rail you'll be mounting it on. ;)

I've owned all sorts of bipods and never understood the big deal with Atlas until I picked one up.

I understand now.

if your on a budget Cabelas carries a very nice stout bipod intended for AR's "Caldwell® AR Prone Bipod" (it is not the harris clone) while I never owned an Atlas I would say it will get the job done just as well.

Last edited:
if your on a budget Cabelas carries a very nice stout bipod intended for AR's "Caldwell® AR Prone Bipod" (it is not the harris clone) while I never owned an Atlas I would say it will get the job done just as well.

If you are referring to this POS here... Caldwell AR Bipod Anodized Aluminum ...I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me having seen just how flimsy they are (especially with the legs extended and with any rough use). This is a prime example of getting what you pay for...a $50 bipod, while it may suffice ok for some...will fail spectacularly for others. ;)

Making a leap of faith by saying that the Caldwell bipod you referenced (or any of them for that matter) will get the job done as well as an Atlas is not only uninformed...it is 100% incorrect (and I have used both). They are nowhere near the level of construction/durability/dependability of even the Harris bipods...much less the Atlas.

Don't buy a cheap knock-off bipod.
Harris notched leg swivel (SBR model I think?) will be most accommodating and best value.
The pod-lock is very helpful to secure the swivel it but I find it can get in the way when shooting off hand, sometimes can bite!

For me no question the Atlas is more versatile, but as stated before the Harris is very good as well if your on a tight budget.