• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod questions

Rum&Powder

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2021
Augusta
I just got into precision rifles this year. I have a Buffalo River bipod, which I think is a Harris knockoff from Legacy Arms. My question is about the swivel. When I first got this bipod, the swivel was so loose that the rifle just flopped over to the swivel stop. I have since taken a rag and a pair of pliers to the adjustment knob and tightened it past the point that I was worried about it breaking. It now will stay at whatever angle I leave it at. It still seems like a pain since I have yet to shoot anywhere that I have ever needed a swivel. I end up spending more time than I would prefer just trying to make sure the rifle/scope is exactly vertical before I take every shot. So..... questions start here:
1. Is there a bipod out there where the swivel can be locked so that it just stays vertical unless I unlock it?
2. Would I have this same issue with a Harris or Atlas?
3. Is there a bipod made that has pan with no swivel? If so what is it?
4. If the answers are no, yes, and no so far....is there a better option than buying a $20 cvlife bipod and keep this one in my rifle bag in case I ever encounter uneven terrain?

If buying a Harris or a magpul would solve my gripe I am not against getting one of those....the Atlas is just beyond the amount of money I am willing to spend on a bipod right now.

If you get a quality bipod, it will do as it's supposed to. I'd avoid the pan feature all together but to each his own. Best advice is to get a good bipod. The tbac is definitely one of the best. For bench or pure prone the accutac is also excellent. Check out the threads here and get you a quality bipod. Makes all the difference in the world. For a little more money, there's better than atlas. Imo

What's really weird is Buffalo River only shows two non S model Harris copies on their own website. This thing must really be a pile of crap.

The Atlas has a similar tensioning system on its cant adjustment if you get the model that has it. I have found it difficult but not impossible to get it to the right amount of tension.

Most folks that run a dedicated Harris end up adding the same device, called a POD-LOC, so they get the same feature.

You can also run either bipod without a cant feature, but if you think it bothers you now to get your rifle level, wait until you’re a surface that isn’t perfectly flat and you can’t cant the bipod to address the issue.

Honestly it sounds like you got it where it needs to be, why change it now?

Nothing is better about the magpul, don’t get this junk. They have many great products but this is not one. If cost is a concern definitely get a Harris with a podlok and call it good. If you can spend a little more a atlas cal is an amazing bipod for everything. More money a tbac or for just an all out competition set up a cyke.

The Atlas has a similar tensioning system on its cant adjustment if you get the model that has it. I have found it difficult but not impossible to get it to the right amount of tension.

Most folks that run a dedicated Harris end up adding the same device, called a POD-LOC, so they get the same feature.

You can also run either bipod without a cant feature, but if you think it bothers you now to get your rifle level, wait until you’re a surface that isn’t perfectly flat and you can’t cant the bipod to address the issue.

Honestly it sounds like you got it where it needs to be, why change it now?
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like the nicer bippds aren't doing anything different from what this one is doing. I guess I will just keep trying to make sure I am keeping the gun vertical while shooting.
I will keep an eye out for sales and may pick up one of the nicer bipods when I find a deal.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like the nicer bippds aren't doing anything different from what this one is doing. I guess I will just keep trying to make sure I am keeping the gun vertical while shooting.
I will keep an eye out for sales and may pick up one of the nicer bipods when I find a deal.
You might consider adding the Pod-Loc to yours if you continue to have to use a wrench on it and the device is compatible with your bipod, but I don’t know how to check if it is. The Pod-Loc is like $25 on Amazon, so it isn’t a costly upgrade.

That said, I haven’t adjusted my cant tension in over six months, so if your wrench work got it to the right spot, then you can probably just save the money.

Except that you can tension the Atlas CAL and the TBAC and it won't loosen on you over time. And both of those are far better than a Harris or clone. Save your pennies and buy a better bipod, you'll be glad you did.

Also, don't fall for the Chinese knockoff Atlas bipod. They are pure garbage and they are profiting off of another persons ingenuity.

Got my atlas from a sponser here, cattleman I think it is? Anyway, good prices and service if you decide to buy one. I also recommend at least getting the qd mount, I cheaped out and got the basic 2 screw pic mount one and wish I’d paid the $40ish extra for the qd. Only complaint is the tension for the cant works ok, but the bipod will also sort of pivot forwards and backwards and that can be annoying if the tension isn’t set tight. After several shots, moving around etc it will loosen a little and when you load the bipod instead of just taking the slack out of the legs, it will pivot forward a little. Assume that is normal but it is something to note, just have to check the tension adjustment periodically, not rediculously often tho

Got my atlas from a sponser here, cattleman I think it is? Anyway, good prices and service if you decide to buy one. I also recommend at least getting the qd mount, I cheaped out and got the basic 2 screw pic mount one and wish I’d paid the $40ish extra for the qd. Only complaint is the tension for the cant works ok, but the bipod will also sort of pivot forwards and backwards and that can be annoying if the tension isn’t set tight. After several shots, moving around etc it will loosen a little and when you load the bipod instead of just taking the slack out of the legs, it will pivot forward a little. Assume that is normal but it is something to note, just have to check the tension adjustment periodically, not rediculously often tho
Not 100% sure what you’re describing, but my Atlas CAL has no front/back play other than minor leg flex when loading. More leg extension equals more flex, but I haven’t seen any pivoting like you describe. Sounds like you maybe have a screw that’s loosened up in your mount.

He probably has a V8 Atlas if it is loosening up, he needs the Victor Co tool or the 3D printed tension levers,

Bipods matter, they control a lot, and require to be engaged properly, they are more than just a front rest. They are part of the recoil management process.

Harris are the lowest common denominator and are routinely out of square with the legs being off center and out of alignment so that makes recoil management harder.

Recoil management has become a fundamental, even the Army recognizes it as such.

We demonstrate all the time the bipod matters, and should not be an afterthought. You have a high dollar rifle, $450 scope mount, $2000 optic and you want the lowest cost solution because, that was how we always did it. You can see quicker and more meaningful results with a better bipod.

He probably has a V8 Atlas if it is loosening up, he needs the Victor Co tool or the 3D printed tension levers,

Bipods matter, they control a lot, and require to be engaged properly, they are more than just a front rest. They are part of the recoil management process.

Harris are the lowest common denominator and are routinely out of square with the legs being off center and out of alignment so that makes recoil management harder.

Recoil management has become a fundamental, even the Army recognizes it as such.

We demonstrate all the time the bipod matters, and should not be an afterthought. You have a high dollar rifle, $450 scope mount, $2000 optic and you want the lowest cost solution because, that was how we always did it. You can see quicker and more meaningful results with a better bipod.
Absolutely! This is why I said to get you a good bipod. It makes a huge difference. If you are going to be in prone or bench most of the time, the accu tac is really good. If you want the best all around bi-pod, it's the TBAC. The best Pure competition one is the MDT. I don't even think it's debatable concerning those 3 for those purposes. Getting a good bipod should be very high on the priority list. You are basically throwing money away on the lower tier ones. What better authority is there than Frank?

Recently heard a podcast in which two highly experienced shooters referred to the Magpul bipod as "hot trash," and they almost never smack talk products. YMMV

Reactions: Simonsza1
Recently heard a podcast in which two highly experienced shooters referred to the Magpul bipod as "hot trash," and they almost never smack talk products. YMMV
Definitely not what I would consider as a good one for precision rifles.... I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend it for a precision rifle either.

I'm perfectly happy with my "hot trash"Magpul.
It works well with my "poor man's Sako".
And my Vortex Razor II( Poors) scope.
Yet strangely enough, my rounds go where I want them to go.
Who woulda thunk it? 🤔
🤣🤣🤣

Not 100% sure what you’re describing, but my Atlas CAL has no front/back play other than minor leg flex when loading. More leg extension equals more flex, but I haven’t seen any pivoting like you describe. Sounds like you maybe have a screw that’s loosened up in your mount.
Thanks, I’ll double check the mount itself to be sure, although I haven’t noticed anything abnormal with the bipod/mount attachment

He probably has a V8 Atlas if it is loosening up, he needs the Victor Co tool or the 3D printed tension levers
Yes, it is just the basic V8. Thanks for the info, I’ll look into the Victor and the upgraded tension levers!

OP, forgot to add… Prior to the Atlas V8 I had a Blackhawk (Harris style clone). The Atlas, even with the tension loosening now and then, is a huge upgrade! The MDT, TBAC etc are even better, but if you need solid on more of a reasonable budget, the Atlas at $220+/- is great. Be careful nosing around the Hide, you’ll get the go be poor somewhere else line thrown out a lot. What they won’t tell you is if you weren’t poor before, trying to keep up with the Jones’s here will make you poor :ROFLMAO:

Be careful nosing around the Hide, you’ll get the go be poor somewhere else line thrown out a lot. What they won’t tell you is if you weren’t poor before, trying to keep up with the Jones’s here will make you poor :ROFLMAO:
I see that....I went and looked up the MDT and had a small heart attack. Maybe that is something I would get one day....but I would have to have a LOT nicer setup than I do now.
I was thinking that upgrading the bippd wouldn't be too bad....I was wrong.
I would have thought for that much money they would cant and lock, and pan, and the legs would be infinitely adjustable.
Looks like I will be putting off the upgrade a while....I am just starting to reload as well and need to build back funds after that....
I like the way the TBAC looks. Will just take longer for that upgrade to happen. I pretty much jumped in with very entry level stuff and will have to decide what is most important to upgrade first...
I do very much appreciate all the advice though.

Yep, just like a Yugo does the same thing as a BMW.
Yea, when it go's, yugo's! 😄

I use a Versa Pod and it seems to work ok. But yea, I am planning on getting an Atlas CAL at some pint.

Yea, when it go's, yugo's! 😄

I use a Versa Pod and it seems to work ok. But yea, I am planning on getting an Atlas CAL at some pint.

Atlas bipods are just stout. A friend just got a new 6.5 PRC and I was helping him out getting everything set. He's got a Harris, and it was just not as easy or consistent to use. My only wish with the Atlas is that the detents on the legs could be a little closer together.

The Atlas PSR just has this positive feel and it is fitted so well. looking forward to trying some of their different models soon.