• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod recommendation

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
My buddy finally wants his Harris bipod back so I am looking for a replacement and at this point the Atlas seems to be a good option

I will be putting it on a Manners TA that has one swivel post so I am likely going to mount a rail if I go with the Atlas. Ideally I will be able to swap the Atlas between the Rem and my AR.

Is the BT10-LW17 a quick release? I keep reading the info on it but cant really tell... If it is not a QR is it a challenge to switch out?

And if I am going to mount the rail on my own ( http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...how-install-bt17-rail-atlas-bipod-mcm-a5.html ) do I gain anything by purchasing one of the rails from BT? Are there any others that offer a better rail option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The BT10-lw17 is a quick release. It uses the ADM 170-S lever. If you prefer another mount get the BT-10nc and add the mount of your choice (ADM-170-S, ARMS 17S , TRAMP from Badger Ordnance and Larue LT271)

I have both the Atlas and the Harris but much prefer the Atlas. Regarding the BT rail... it does have a qd attachment point where some of the others may not. I think the Seekins might be a good option as well.

I love my Atlas. I have the BT-10 and move it from gun to gun without much problem. For the time it takes to use the screws, the price difference is a lot.

+1 for the Atlas.

I have the quick release one, but honestly would've been fine with the screws as well. It sure is convenient to move the level and remove/attach it, though!

Re: your query on BT vs Seekins rail, both are good.

BT has a QD socket, Seekins has a horizontal sling stud built into the end.
Seekins is a smidge lower profile
BT variable length slot is longer so more easily transferable to a stock already with 2 studs
Seekins mount holes are a bit deeper so standard hardware store hex bolts mount flush
BT mount holes are shallow so the bolt head sort of sticks up. I think button heads will go flush.
Seekins comes with (2) 10x32 bolts, BT had no hardware

Somewhat an over-analysis. If you need a QD socket, use the BT.

I tried the kool-aid. Got an Atlas because it was a rail mount and "better", but I always go back to my Harris. The Atlas collects dust in my gun safe. Now I am looking for an intgral QD mount for my Harris. Just saw that you an get the Larue LT706 QD mount for $120 if you call them direct or $220 with a Harris available on their website. Also saw a "new" mount (to me) today by Alamo Four Star called a DLOC-S for $169 including the Harris or $97 for just the mount.

I run an Atlas on 5.56 and 7.62 and an LRA on a .338 The Atlas is a little light for the big rifles, and the LRA is overkill for anything less than a big bore magnum.

I tried the kool-aid. Got an Atlas because it was a rail mount and "better", but I always go back to my Harris. The Atlas collects dust in my gun safe. Now I am looking for an intgral QD mount for my Harris. Just saw that you an get the Larue LT706 QD mount for $120 if you call them direct or $220 with a Harris available on their website. Also saw a "new" mount (to me) today by Alamo Four Star called a DLOC-S for $169 including the Harris or $97 for just the mount.

Same, run the Larue/Harris combo or a straight up Harris.

Have to admit tried going Atlas after using LRA and could not get used to it. Precision on the LRA is exceptional. In the pictures, the AIAX has the LRA Tactical light version and the MRAD has the FClass(wide stance) version, if your rifle is over 13 lbs I would seriously consider
LRA. Anything under 13lbs would start looking mismatched since the LRA's are a little on the bulkier side.

Atlas=12 ounces / LRA=24 ounces. So if weight is a concern it is a no brainer. Also I would not consider an 11+lb. rifle a light rifle so your bipod selection should not be geared towards trying to get a rifle to weigh 12lbs instead of 13lbs. Now trying to keep a rifle under 10lbs would be crucial to weight of a bipod thus selection would be the lighter of the selection.

Attachments

• DSC_0845.jpg
    DSC_0845.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I run an Atlas on 5.56 and 7.62 and an LRA on a .338 The Atlas is a little light for the big rifles, and the LRA is overkill for anything less than a big bore magnum.

This is my position too - Atlas on the smaller calibers and the LRA on my .338.

This^^^

What rifle are you trying to bipod?

LRA is very nice, but huge and heavy.
I've used one on a .50, but it's way overkill on anything smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have 2 Atlas BT10's - the removal and install is easy & quick enough for me - they're on 308's and work great - the LRA is nice but a little pricey and heavy for my needs -

LRA - I have both the F-Class and teh tactical. I generally use the F-Class even though the tactical is a touch lighter. Both are rock solid. I still have a harris or two, but the LRA is my go-to bipod.

Jeffvn

I am running a Noveske .556/223 AR and my REm 700.308 in a Manners T/A that comes in about 10 pounds.

the Harris is in my budget and I could stretch to the Atlas if it was worth the extra $. Size and weight are also important as both guns get outdoors. If its easy to unbolt from one rail and move the the next rail then I would prefer to save the money and weight. A couple of mins is not a big deal to move i
Given the info above what would you recommend?
Thanks....

I ended up putting Tramp mounts on my 6-9" and 9-13" Harris bipods along with a rail on all my rifles. I can remove or change out a bipod in seconds and use it on my 2 bolt rifles and my AR. I just had to add a rail to my stocks. The 15" Midwest tube I just put on the AR came with 3 rails and lots of placement options.

I have an Atlas w/ screw mount on a 14lb rifle and it gets the job done w/ ease. If I want to switch it to my AR it doesn't take long at all. I started with the Harris and just thought it was too stiff and whooped my butt on recoil management. Tried the Atlas and it was day and night for me. The Atlas was much easier to work with and sold off my Harris. The only thing I wish the Atlas did like the Harris, was take a second to deploy the legs. But 2-2.5 seconds ain't bad.

Have to admit tried going Atlas after using LRA and could not get used to it. Precision on the LRA is exceptional. In the pictures, the AIAX has the LRA Tactical light version and the MRAD has the FClass(wide stance) version, if your rifle is over 13 lbs I would seriously consider
LRA. Anything under 13lbs would start looking mismatched since the LRA's are a little on the bulkier side.

Atlas=12 ounces / LRA=24 ounces. So if weight is a concern it is a no brainer. Also I would not consider an 11+lb. rifle a light rifle so your bipod selection should not be geared towards trying to get a rifle to weigh 12lbs instead of 13lbs. Now trying to keep a rifle under 10lbs would be crucial to weight of a bipod thus selection would be the lighter of the selection.

Do you use the standard or the high model? I have an atlas but I've been considering adding an LRA to the stable. I don't have a big bore magnum yet, but my surgeon 308 weighs ~13lbs without optics or anything else so I'm not concerned about keeping it light. Not sure if I should go with the f class or light tactical, standard or high model.

Do you use the standard or the high model? I have an atlas but I've been considering adding an LRA to the stable. I don't have a big bore magnum yet, but my surgeon 308 weighs ~13lbs without optics or anything else so I'm not concerned about keeping it light. Not sure if I should go with the f class or light tactical, standard or high model.

I use the high model for both. Now understand that the short legs are only available with the Tactical Light version. Making my decision when choosing short or long I noticed that the short legs are only 1.5 inches shorter than the long version retracted while the long legs are 2.5 inches longer than the short version extended. Also given what application you will be using the rifle for I believe the long version is where you should go. As for F-Class or Tactical light I would have to see your rifle to give you my opinion. I had the MRAD first and bought the F-Class which was perfect. Then I bought the AX and placed the F-Class on that and it seemed a little overkill. Went and bought an Atlas for the AX and immediately felt the difference between the LRA. So I sold the Atlas and bought the LRA Tactical Light knowing it was a slightly more compact version of the F-Class and it was a perfect fit. Soooooo gotta see your rifle to give you an more solid opinion. If I was to use my experience I would start with the TL. Hope this helps.

I use the high model for both. Now understand that the short legs are only available with the Tactical Light version. Making my decision when choosing short or long I noticed that the short legs are only 1.5 inches shorter than the long version retracted while the long legs are 2.5 inches longer than the short version extended. Also given what application you will be using the rifle for I believe the long version is where you should go. As for F-Class or Tactical light I would have to see your rifle to give you my opinion. I had the MRAD first and bought the F-Class which was perfect. Then I bought the AX and placed the F-Class on that and it seemed a little overkill. Went and bought an Atlas for the AX and immediately felt the difference between the LRA. So I sold the Atlas and bought the LRA Tactical Light knowing it was a slightly more compact version of the F-Class and it was a perfect fit. Soooooo gotta see your rifle to give you an more solid opinion. If I was to use my experience I would start with the TL. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such a detailed post. Here is a picture of my rifle.
3udejapy.jpg

yza2edu3.jpg

The atlas is ok but I also have various ARs and I was thinking of getting a dedicated LRA for my surgeon and leaving the atlas on the scar 17 or other ar. Did you add the QD adapter? Thanks again for the info.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such a detailed post. Here is a picture of my rifle.
3udejapy.jpg

yza2edu3.jpg

The atlas is ok but I also have various ARs and I was thinking of getting a dedicated LRA for my surgeon and leaving the atlas on the scar 17 or other ar. Did you add the QD adapter? Thanks again for the info.

Very nice rifle! I would go with the Tactical Light version. The MRAD which is a 16 lbs rifle dry and has a 26.5" barrel seemed to be perfect with the F-Class, any smaller and the F-Class would have started to look too big.

Harris QD with 6-9" notched legs good for AR platforms. Use the Atlas on my MRAD and 2DTA SRS rifles and all seem to have good fit and function. LRA bipod good, but seemed overkill for my needs and don't need any extra weight!

I don't care about weight, just wanted something solid for my .308. Bought a Sinclair Varmint/Tactical. Nice solid bipod. My Harris bipods are now relegated to AR service.

All my rifles have Harris 6-9" Notched leg swivel bipods with pod-locs. Cant break them, so why go more expensive?

Very nice rifle! I would go with the Tactical Light version. The MRAD which is a 16 lbs rifle dry and has a 26.5" barrel seemed to be perfect with the F-Class, any smaller and the F-Class would have started to look too big.

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

I just broke another Harris and at $100 a pop an Atlas would be a wise investment and save you some money in the long run. To say you can't break a Harris is a stretch.

L

I just broke another Harris and at $100 a pop an Atlas would be a wise investment and save you some money in the long run. To say you can't break a Harris is a stretch.

L
I cant seem to do it.... How did you break yours?

I sold my atlas and will continue using harris. I tried hard to like the Atlas but could not get used to it. I am much more proficient with the Harris. Guess you don't know until you try it.

This is what I've found. This one isn't a year old but I'll be damned if I'll find the receipt.

L

Harris Manufacturers Warranty 999 Broadway Barlow, KY 42024 Phone (270)334-3633 Fax (270)334-3000​
Guaranteed for one year from the date of purchase against defects in material and workmanship. Guarantee does not extend beyond replacement or repair of Bipods or Adapters."

I just got my first LRA a few weeks ago and so far so good. I have it on my PGW Coyote and it fits nicely and I really like the large number of different positions it can be set to. Build quality is first class.

834e0adb318ed7cd9d45ddea5b6f11d1_zps247f3727.jpg

0ad79d0e12d4c58c9a3d5f85d46f17f2_zps64333ce5.jpg

Thanks for the support guys, it's always an honor to be considered along with the Harris.
The Atlas was designed for guys that carry their gear to work and tend to shoot .300 winmag or smaller caliber rifles.
However the soon to be released (and a loooong time coming) 5-H, was designed for .338 and up calibers but will be quite at home on any heavy rifle.
We're in the prototype stage and will post up the details here once we are ready to roll, thinking delivery first half of 2014.

Harris or ATLAS. I have both and use my harris more. My coyote rig is perfect with atlas QD and Long harris QD. IF you got time to setup the atlas is a great choice. Harris if your not quite sure and want good fast setups. Sometimes seconds count. If you go harris get notched legs and a swivel type and get a podloc. Both are great products that will serve you well.

I like both Atlas and Harris, the Atlas has an advantage in getting low support under barricades. The best way I've found to buy an Atlas is use the Midwayusa code for $30 off. You have to add $20 worth of something (cleaning supplies) to qualify for the discount.

by the way, those who have Atlases sitting in their closet- I can help you out with that problem.

Thanks to your review and pics, I think I will likely order the LRA F-Class for my GAP .338 Lapua with 26" bbl in the AX Chassis. Weighs 15 lbs with no optic. Was about to pull the trigger on the Atlas but these .338 rifles with heavy barrels "scream" for something a little extra heavy duty. Do you have the quick release on either of your LRA's? One would think they would make that standard for $450.

Had an Atlas thought it was very nice but sold it when I sold my AICS. Now I have a Harris BRM-S ($93.95 on Amazon free shipping), QD attachment from GG&G ($62.00 its 25% off and free shipping) and a Pod Loc ($15.00 on Midway). Total is $171 for a very robust set up. I think ATLAS are amazing but $289.00 is pretty spendy and even if you got the same type of set up from Larue with their QD its still $100 more than what I paid.

Quick Detach Bipod Adaptor | AR15 Bipod Adapter | Harris Bipods
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=pod+loc

I love my atlas with the American defense qd mount I don't like the fact you have to have a rail but the bipod is awesome goes from my long range rifle to my ar15 in seconds unlike fumbling with my Harris

Got an Atlas because it was a rail mount and "better", but I always go back to my Harris. The Atlas collects dust in my gun safe.

What in particular made you go back to the Harris? I am new to long-range precision shooting and am trying to gather as much information as I can about various rifle parts and accessories so that I can make informed decisions when it comes time to put together a rifle. By the way, I've been shooting for 35 years, I'm just new to the long-range stuff.

thank god someone brought this up, I never could figure out how to find what bipod to buy. Since the consesus is Harris or an Atlas I got that covered, now off to find out what is the best scope for for me