• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Recommendations for AR10?

steve_podleski

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2007
Looking for recommendations for a AR10 bipod to be used for prone shooting in the field (not Fclass or PRS competition). Don't want to spend more than $200ish. I have a Harris; is there something better?

I ran a LRA on my LMT MWSE briefly.
Half way through a 4 day rifle course one of the instructors lent me his Larue modified Harris.
Sold the LRA, bought a Larue Harris and never looked back.

If you already have a Harris and your rifle has a Pic rail up front, American Defense makes a QD adapter for it:

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1289/

You could try this combo first for minimum investment and if it doesn’t meet your needs you could then go to an Atlas or something else.

Another promising option is the new Magpul bipod. I have no first-hand experience with it, but I own a lot of Magpul stuff and they have never disappointed me.

I just got a magpul in the mail and some may laugh at it but I have several harris bipods and atlas and I was actually way more impressed than I thought I would be. It's a solid bipod other that slack which I assume is for preloading it met all of expectations. The legs only rotate in one direction like the harris unlike the atlas but it is worth every penny.

The price is easy to beat - Harris , magpul and I’m sure a list of others. Not every situation calls for a an atlas. I use one on my PRS rifle but 70% of the guys I shoot with use Harris. I wouldn’t be afraid to run the magpul I have on PRS rifle and beat the crap out of it and probably will start it out in my trainer.

I used a Harris SBRM w/ podloc throughout my entire Marine Corps career and NEVER had a single issue. It’s hands down the best bang for your buck.

My only add on these days is a pair of Hawk Hill talons.

Reactions: GhostFace
I have a SAC MIL from Finland that works very well on my LR308 style rifle. It's a bit cheaper than an Atlas but doesn't do 45° stuff. It pans and cants but doesn't lock and tension is fixed but very useable.

I'm waiting for a Cyke Pod for my bolt action chassis. That one costs twice as much as an Atlas but it is more versatile. I'll probably try it on an LR308 eventually and I expect it to do very well but I'm not sure if it's 4x as good as a Magpul or Harris.

Atlas on my GAP10. Have a fleet of Harris as well, just grown to enjoy the Atlas. YMMV

I just got a magpul in the mail and some may laugh at it but I have several harris bipods and atlas and I was actually way more impressed than I thought I would be. It's a solid bipod other that slack which I assume is for preloading it met all of expectations. The legs only rotate in one direction like the harris unlike the atlas but it is worth every penny.

I’m pretty sure the Magpul bipod does have pan and tilt. The pan can be locked out if I recall correctly

Atlas PRS is well worth the money...
7E9B0A10-6390-4C8B-9B87-FAA7B3E52FA8.jpeg

Reactions: fanninland
After using the Atlas BT-10 for a couple of years I've gone back to Harris.

Both of my Atlas bipods have some weird "looseness" in them which manifests itself as a reticle shift from POA during dry fire. I can have all the slack out of the system, including settling the rear bag until it's virtually solid, and the reticle moves off POA when I dry fire.

The Harris knockoff that I bought as a backup is absolutely rock solid with zero reticle shift when the FP drops.

I've tried the tension knob all the way tight, all the way loose, loading heavy into the bipod, loading light into the bipod, gripping the rear bag ten different ways, pulling heavy or light into the shoulder, still get that reticle jump with both of my Atlas.

Atlas bipods have some advantages, but to me they are negated by that inability to keep the rifle rock steady on target when the shot breaks.

BTW, that "shift" has an effect on target as I can never get groups as good with the Atlas as I can with the Harris. And doing dot drills with an Atlas is for me an exercise in frustration with random elevation shifts. Not so with a Harris.

I know this all sounds weird and I didn't want to believe what I saw happening, but it is a real problem for me.

I use an Atlas on the SR25 but I think a good Harris would also suffice. Biggest gripe about the Atlas is spinning legs. Prefer the LRA but it's too big for these rifle but great on a .50. I think they make a smaller version now, pretty sure they do in fact. Don't know much about it though. If it's about the size of an Atlas or Harris, I'd probably get that. A more compact LRA would do away with all the negatives of the Atlas and be a better bipod in general I'd suspect. I'd check 'em out before making a decision. Long Range Accuracy.

IMO Atlas PSR is primo. Played with a Magpul, not too shabby. Does pan and tilt.

OP, that Harris you own will serve you well, save your money and buy more bullets!

Thanks for the support guys, it's humbling to read your comments.
308pirate - no idea, but your experience is your reality! We will gladly inspect them to make sure they are 100% at no cost. Regardless, I thank you for giving Atlas a try.
Strykervet - The Atlas PSR version does not have spinning legs, that was one change SOFIC requested of the Atlas BT10 for the PSR program. We made the changes and the Atlas PSR was awarded the bipod part thus the "Atlas PSR" name.

Both of my Atlas bipods have some weird "looseness" in them which manifests itself as a reticle shift from POA during dry fire. I can have all the slack out of the system, including settling the rear bag until it's virtually solid, and the reticle moves off POA when I dry fire.

The Harris knockoff that I bought as a backup is absolutely rock solid with zero reticle shift when the FP drops.

I've tried the tension knob all the way tight, all the way loose, loading heavy into the bipod, loading light into the bipod, gripping the rear bag ten different ways, pulling heavy or light into the shoulder, still get that reticle jump with both of my Atlas.

Atlas bipods have some advantages, but to me they are negated by that inability to keep the rifle rock steady on target when the shot breaks.

BTW, that "shift" has an effect on target as I can never get groups as good with the Atlas as I can with the Harris. And doing dot drills with an Atlas is for me an exercise in frustration with random elevation shifts. Not so with a Harris.

I know this all sounds weird and I didn't want to believe what I saw happening, but it is a real problem for me.

What Harris knockoff do you Like???

What Harris knockoff do you Like???
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LOZHIB...colid=XTXP2TCRNZ45&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm not easy on it and the only issue I came up with is that one of the nuts holding the leg pivots came loose and fell off. I grabbed a 10-24 nut and washer from the hardware store and replaced it after putting some Loctite on the thread. I removed the nut from the other leg's pivot and put some real locktite on it too.

So far so good

This thing comes with an adjustable Picatinny QD mount, it comes with a pod-loc type handle, and it both pans and tilts.

I also replaced the hard rubber feet that came with it with these leg tips from Grainger and now loading it properly is stupid easy, even on smooth concrete: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Round-Slip-On-Furniture-Protective-16ZD88

Ha

Having a flinch and blaming your gear is classic gun guy drivel for I suck at shooting. ??

Reactions: b6graham
Ha
Having a flinch and blaming your gear is classic gun guy drivel for I suck at shooting. ??

First of all, you don't know me nor know anything about my shooting ability.

Second, mindlessly defending a piece of gear when someone finds an issue with it is classic fanboy drivel.

Third, I couldn't give a single fuck if you believe what I say or not

Forgive me, for sanding the moist spot. I only have a couple of each at my disposal and none make me have a weird dry fire FLINCH. LOL. pS You care or you would have just moved on with out the tearfull 1,2,3. ?.

Those new magpul bipods look like something worth checking out, I’ve never had buyers remorse with anything they’ve made in the past