• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

bipods for my rem 700 5r

Minarix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
US
last week i posted pictures of my new rifle, got paid last thursday, so i'm going to go ahead and get me a bipod, a friend stated i can't go wrong with a harris, so that will prob be the brand i go with, he told me not to get a swivel.

so i'm just wondering, does bipod height affect you that much?

i was thinking of getting the 6-9" as i don't want a jack up front end as i will mostly be doing around 600yds-1k.

and which model would you reccomend? will be shooting a .308 if that has any affect on what kind to get.

thanks in advance.

Re: bipods for my rem 700 5r

Why did he tell you not to get the swivel? I would get the 6-9 with the swivel and get a pod lok.

he said since i'm a new shooter it could affect my shots with the recoil.

guess he figured, less chance for shooter error with more mechanical features.

Pretty sure you'll want the swivel. 6"-9" is a good choice also, it's what I started out with. If you have the cash, check out the Atlas bipod. It replaced my Harris and I couldn't be happier.

I'd say do not listen to your friend, get the swivel model because they are much better for quickly leveling your rifle for a shot especially on uneven terrain. You can find them used on here for around $100 and that's with the KMW pod loc which is an improved way to quickly tighten the tension knob on the swivel.

Atlas bipods are really nice but its not a bad idea to go with the Harris due to it being less than half the price of the Atlas. If you have the money though the Atlas is a great bipod

+1 for a Harris 6X9 brm-s with a pod loc. Hs stocks some times have the sling studs off center so a s model will help greatly. when the pod loc is installed it will only swivel when the pod loc is loosened.

Harris 6x9 brm-s works just fine for me. If you feel like spending more money then check out the Atlas bipods. They're nice as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did he tell you not to get the swivel? I would get the 6-9 with the swivel and get a pod lok. </div></div>
What he said!

I have 2 Harris 6-9" BRMS with pod lock and I like them a lot, but I'm also wanting to try the atlas.

Another one you might want to look at is the Henry Rempel, depending on what kind of shooting you are going to be doing with it this could be your best option.

i got a harris 6-9 swivel but no pod lock and i love it...

is there a way to add the pod lock in the future?

Go to Triad Tactical's site, they should have them. They are a vendor here. If you like this site, support the vendors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first time you set up on uneven ground you will wish you had a swivel. I have a brm-s with podlok, got it from Steve at Triad http://www.triadtactical.com/Bipods-etc./

</div></div>

saw that, will prob be picking one up this friday. if i can find the triad guy on here i'll see about sneding him a message on getting me a complete package setup.

swivel is an absolute necessity! After shooting the swivel, I find it real difficult to shoot off the non-swivel, it kind of spoils you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris 6x9 brm-s works just fine for me. If you feel like spending more money then check out the Atlas bipods. They're nice as well.</div></div>

+1 on the Atlas well worth the money!!

Another voice of reason for the swivel head. With out the swivel head you would be left using the legs to level yourself out. Very time consuming trying to get all the adjustments exactly set before the shot. Did he give you a reason as to why you wouldn't want the swivel head?

I shoot a R700 with the Harris swivel head and it works great. The only bad I came across was people wishing they had purchased a swivel head.

SWIVEL base with NOTCHED legs:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

does anyone have the link to the page that has the parts to build your own pod lock-style swivel lock? - more DIY elbow grease involved, but I have heard it is under $10 or so in parts.

I started out with a Harris on my first LR rig, but have an Atlas on my current rig. I'll never by anything other than an Atlas from here on out.

get the 6-9 harris with swivel. then get a pod loc from Terry.

The Harris with Swivel and notched legs is a great bipod, I'd go ahead and get one. Awesome for the money.

There's a good thread in the equipment section discussing bipods. For you folks running Atlas pods, are you shooting with the legs perpendicular or forward 45 degrees?

I know a lot of people like the Altas bipods. I own a couple. I think for every day use I would choose the Harris. They work fine. The bipod is not going to make the shooter. The Harris is fast and easy.
If you watch Triad's video on the Harris bipods.The Altas is more of a pain is the ass to adjust. You have to unlock both legs seperately and then adjust the hieght. The Harris flip the legs down and start shooting. Plus half the cost. Will the Altas make you shoot more accurate. NO.
I would go with the Harris any day.