• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bipods... help me understand..??

Ah ok I see your point now. Focusing on the functionality of the bipod vs this is what X people use is an argument I can get behind. The bit about applying incorrect fundamentals rings home lol that was me for the longest time.

yeah, my argument certainly wasn't "you need to use this because more people do", it was "I switched to this because of lack of specific features which I feel are critical to the function of a bipod"

I think the correlation with more shooters using them isnt coincidental though. The added features I like are considered important by many other shooters too. The Atlas bipod, by and far, is the most "never look back" shooting product Ive ever owned, and I hear that consistently from so many other guys who try one after shooting on a harris, a magpul, or any other brand that doesnt have some of the features that made Atlas famous.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
I guess if your bipods holding you back give it hell lol but I bet it doesn’t fix your problem I guess I’ve never been on the range and missed and said damn bipod lol.
Missed? probably not. But some of us are grading the shooting more critically than just miss/hit. I dont think I'd miss with a harris, but if I'm shooting for small groups, or more challenging at longer distances (for example, my 22LR at 200 yards+) I want a more stable foundation.

Everyone I know who shoots off a harris also talks about the multiple upgrades it needs too.

Its like my friends who shoot glocks. They start with something basic/cheap, and then replace most of it.

At that point my argument is always...why not just buy a better product to begin with?

Another point in favor of Atlas (or many other bipods) is not only the availability of different feet (e.g. spiked feet are very useful on some surfaces) but the ease with which they can be changed.

Also, the easy with which leg extensions can be put on the Atlas giving 3 more inches of height...and if ever shooting at an uphill target at range while prone, one will appreciate this feature.

Just some added thoughts

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
yeah, my argument certainly wasn't "you need to use this because more people do", it was "I switched to this because of lack of specific features which I feel are critical to the function of a bipod"

I think the correlation with more shooters using them isnt coincidental though. The added features I like are considered important by many other shooters too. The Atlas bipod, by and far, is the most "never look back" shooting product Ive ever owned, and I hear that consistently from so many other guys who try one after shooting on a harris, a magpul, or any other brand that doesnt have some of the features that made Atlas famous
Missed? probably not. But some of us are grading the shooting more critically than just miss/hit. I dont think I'd miss with a harris, but if I'm shooting for small groups, or more challenging at longer distances (for example, my 22LR at 200 yards+) I want a more stable foundation.

Everyone I know who shoots off a harris also talks about the multiple upgrades it needs too.

Its like my friends who shoot glocks. They start with something basic/cheap, and then replace most of it.

At that point my argument is always...why not just buy a better product to begin with?
I agree it needs a podloc because the tensioner sucks and I agree that glocks need everything swapped to be enjoyable to own, but I’ve shot lots of small groups on a harris. Once again before I get crucified by a gucci fud im not saying there’s no other option, but I certainly wouldn’t abandon one you already own that’s been working to spend 300 more. And bipod hop? Just say you can’t manage recoil and be done

I agree it needs a podloc because the tensioner sucks and I agree that glocks need everything swapped to be enjoyable to own, but I’ve shot lots of small groups on a harris. Once again before I get crucified by a gucci fud im not saying there’s no other option, but I certainly wouldn’t abandon one you already own that’s been working to spend 300 more. And bipod hop? Just say you can’t manage recoil and be done
Nobody is calling you poor because you choose to shoot on a Harris.

We're pointing out that your belief set is flawed because you somehow think they're equal products. Im a little confused why you're quoting me, and talking about bipod hop, when that was someone else's complaint entirely?

Maybe you should sit this one out, you're obviously having issues following the conversation.

A B&T CAL can be had for a little over $200 on eurooptic. A harris is about $130 from what I can see. Once you add your pod lock, you're closer to $150. An Atlas is pretty close in price to the CAL as well.

If you think that $50 difference somehow becomes "$300 more", then I hope your shooting skills are better than your math skills, because nobody was making fun of you for your budget, but I will absolutely call you out for being stupid, which is exactly how you're acting right now.

Reactions: 308pirate
130 lb 16 year old. 7mm Rem mag. Sporter weight Rem 700. KDF brake.

Nobody is calling you poor because you choose to shoot on a Harris.

We're pointing out that your belief set is flawed because you somehow think they're equal products. Im a little confused why you're quoting me, and talking about bipod hop, when that was someone else's complaint entirely?

Maybe you should sit this one out, you're obviously having issues following the conversation.

A B&T CAL can be had for a little over $200 on eurooptic. A harris is about $130 from what I can see. Once you add your pod lock, you're closer to $150. An Atlas is pretty close in price to the CAL as well.

If you think that $50 difference somehow becomes "$300 more", then I hope your shooting skills are better than your math skills, because nobody was making fun of you for your budget, but I will absolutely call you out for being stupid, which is exactly how you're acting right now.
It’s not a budget issue I wouldn’t switch to an atlas if it was free to upgrade I’ve been down that road. I would consider a tbac which by the time you consider 130 to 430. Is a 300 dollar upgrade and I know the tbac is nicer but I just don’t think it’s nice enough for 300 more that said I’ve only got to mess with one.

Regarding bipod hop comment I just through that in to not make another post.

• Haha
Bipod stability matters when you can't get square behind the gun and are forced to shoot from some awkward position. Some tools are better than others, and if you are competing, you want every advantage you can get.

Has anyone bought one of the new MDT ground Pod's?
Looking for a light weight bipod for my XLR 4.0 Magnesium chassis with the Arca Swiss rail.
Looking at MTD ground pod and the new Cadex light weight bipod, both Arca Swiss rail setups.
Any other light weight setups to look at.

OK.. so I have been using the harris brm-s 6-9 bipod with some form of pod lock adjustment arm since about 2009.

I Always develop loads using the bipod I intend to run.

Help Me understand why this is an " outdated " bipod choice!?
it's not

Reactions: Smokin7s
Has anyone bought one of the new MDT ground Pod's?
Looking for a light weight bipod for my XLR 4.0 Magnesium chassis with the Arca Swiss rail.
Looking at MTD ground pod and the new Cadex light weight bipod, both Arca Swiss rail setups.
Any other light weight setups to look at.
They havent shipped yet, as far as I know. It was up on the website in a "coming soon" status after shot show and thats about it.

They havent shipped yet, as far as I know. It was up on the website in a "coming soon" status after shot show and thats about it.
I went to the site today and it is now listed as "out of stock, available for backorder".
That made me think that they may have started selling and sold out.
Of course even if that is the case they could have started and sold out yesterday for all I know so they may still not have shipped yet.

I'm betting that one size does not fit all and that there is more than one single way to get performance. The reason there are many options in bipods is that not one single one works for everyone/all the time/everywhere. We all have opinions and particulars - options are a good thing. That said, I have shot a number of bipods in testing and settled on an Altas BT10...in 4 years of shooting (yeah, I know...jack shit) it has never let me down and when things go "not so good" I have never said it was the bipod that screwed me.

My Atlas BT10 has never let me down nor contributed to my inadequacy as a marksman. So, I won't be searching for another bipod to buy. I'm not about fixing what ain't broke. YMMV.

VooDoo

This is a lot more simple than many people make it, and this applies to all gear. If your current bipod works for your needs, you are good to go. Now there's a couple huge pitfalls to that statement.

1) If you've never tried other gear, it's hard to know if something else works better and why/when for your use. Different bipod options do offer advantages over a harris, leg angle options, feet options, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as seeing someone use gear in a way you never thought of. With good gear like an Atlas if you don't like it, you can recoup most of your $ on the for sale forum. Use case matters, a $600k Lambo SVJ is 2s a lap faster than a $300k Porsche GT2 RS, but if all you want to do is 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, a Tesla Plaid for $130 is faster than either. Also remember there's no shortage of sponsored guys on various forums saying how amazing their sponsor's gear is, even if it's not.

2) Slipping into the mindset that gear will fix your shooting, and justifying it with #1 above. One of my coaches used to say "Every new widget makes you shoot great for a week" and he was right. You change something, your in a positive mindset, you focus on your fundamentals more because it's new kit, and you see improvement.....until you fall back into being comfortable again. The vast majority of even even good shooters do not apply enough science to their shooting/gear to evaluate changes properly in gear or form.

3) Getting caught up in the "Buy once, cry once" stuff. Look I'm not saying that more expensive gear doesn't perform better, and I HATE counterfeit shit. However, precision rifle is getting to be more of a social status parade than trap shooting, and that's saying something. It's why we now have $1000 bipods, $700 scope mounts, $300 muzzle brakes, $300 shooting bag plates, etc. 10 years ago guys thought an Atlas was expensive, now we have bipods costing 4x as much. It's hard to blame companies when people keep paying it, and doing so only drives prices higher across the industry. I mean Sig probably gets up in the morning saying "We sell a pair of descent optic rangefinding binoculars that range to 2k, runs AB lite, connects to Kestrel/phone for weather info, and calculates your ballistics on the fly for $1000, if guys are forking out $1k for a bipod we are selling our optics WAY too cheap!"

This is a lot more simple than many people make it, and this applies to all gear. If your current bipod works for your needs, you are good to go. Now there's a couple huge pitfalls to that statement.

1) If you've never tried other gear, it's hard to know if something else works better and why/when for your use. Different bipod options do offer advantages over a harris, leg angle options, feet options, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as seeing someone use gear in a way you never thought of. With good gear like an Atlas if you don't like it, you can recoup most of your $ on the for sale forum. Use case matters, a $600k Lambo SVJ is 2s a lap faster than a $300k Porsche GT2 RS, but if all you want to do is 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, a Tesla Plaid for $130 is faster than either. Also remember there's no shortage of sponsored guys on various forums saying how amazing their sponsor's gear is, even if it's not.

2) Slipping into the mindset that gear will fix your shooting, and justifying it with #1 above. One of my coaches used to say "Every new widget makes you shoot great for a week" and he was right. You change something, your in a positive mindset, you focus on your fundamentals more because it's new kit, and you see improvement.....until you fall back into being comfortable again. The vast majority of even even good shooters do not apply enough science to their shooting/gear to evaluate changes properly in gear or form.

3) Getting caught up in the "Buy once, cry once" stuff. Look I'm not saying that more expensive gear doesn't perform better, and I HATE counterfeit shit. However, precision rifle is getting to be more of a social status parade than trap shooting, and that's saying something. It's why we now have $1000 bipods, $700 scope mounts, $300 muzzle brakes, $300 shooting bag plates, etc. 10 years ago guys thought an Atlas was expensive, now we have bipods costing 4x as much. It's hard to blame companies when people keep paying it, and doing so only drives prices higher across the industry. I mean Sig probably gets up in the morning saying "We sell a pair of descent optic rangefinding binoculars that range to 2k, runs AB lite, connects to Kestrel/phone for weather info, and calculates your ballistics on the fly for $1000, if guys are forking out $1k for a bipod we are selling our optics WAY too cheap!"
Man...if I could nominate a post for an award, this would be it.

Point 1. 100% - you dont know what you dont know. The guys telling everyone a Harris is good enough, is dangerous advice. Let people try something without unnecessary outside influence and figure it out for themselves if they need the added features or not. Also the point about the sponsored shooters. The fact that only certain brands have them here (and not all) means you will never get an "unbiased" opinion on just about anything you ask about, regardless of guys swearing up and down that they "would purchase it with their own money if it wasnt given to them already".

Point 2. Well applied point to anything you're focusing on in life. above-average effort (mindset) and attention will exponentially improve results in just about anything you practice this principle with. Fitness, shooting, sales, microsoft excel, whatever.

Point 3. Also worth mentioning is the point of diminishing returns. Sometimes the difference between a couple hundred bucks in what is already the "best" group of gear comes down to a less than 10% improvement. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Maybe. For most probably not. If you compete or use the gear in a life or death setting, maybe then it might, but even in that case, we rarely equip troops with the best and most expensive gear, and they still manage to outperform other countries in many conflicts.

yeah there is a lot of full on retard with the next latest and greatest as well as the mindset, example is a 40 degree leg move making something obsolete. lmfao on that comment earlier. It's not worth arguing with people, stupid people do stupid things with their money. Saw plenty of harris bipods perform perfectly and not once did anyone cry they are obsolete because they can't move the legs 40 degrees. fking retards

Reactions: Smokin7s
Owning a Harris is like owning a .308, everyone should have at least one. I got the Harris/Larue combo years ago right before there was a big price hike. I recently purchased an Atlas CAL and as of right now I don't see any reason to go more expensive...

My only problem with Harris is I’ve had them collapse on me with heavy rifles both folding and legs shortening, I barely pulled back maybe 1/8-1/4” to adjust my rifle before loading the legs and it folded up two different times same range trip. Luckily I caught it before it slammed the corner of the table. Immediately found a used Ckye and never looked back it’s way more stable in my opinion, but not a requirement to own one.

Yeah the price is crazy but the used price was better than a atlas with the accessories I’d need, and worth not potentially smashing my barrel on the edge of a concrete bench.

Still use them on other rifles.

Only time I've had bipod hop is when I was sloppy and it happened with both an atlas and harris. Haven't found a single obstacle I couldn't shoot with a harris that someone with any number of bipods could. Far more people not know how to adjust their bipod for the obstacle than anything else. I've tried others but the harris is simplest, works with my style and fastest in both deploy and stow.

My one big gripe.... its the crap harris is made out of. On the bright side a quick picture and email and I had a replacement part from harris in a few days. For me I don't see needing more.

20200516_214610.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The sling swivel attachment on the Harris is hot garbage. Upgrading it to a RRS arca/pic mount was some of the best money I’ve spent.