• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bipods - is there s need for a “pan” feature?

Far0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 1, 2018
    East Coast
    Looking to upgrade some bipods. Wondering if there is any solid reasons to have a bipod that has pan abilities? Applications of use would be for both static target shooting and rifle matches. Not particularly hunting but wouldn’t mind hearing thoughts on that use as well.

Additionally, static pic mounts or is there a argument for rail mounts like RRS or ARCA?

Personal preference on the pan. Some people like it, some don’t. I personally prefer without pan.

You can get away with pic mount only, but arca gives you the flexibility to adjust bipod position on the fly extremely fast.

On my jae, I keep a small section of pic rail that I keep the bipod on unless I know I’ll need to move it during a stage. From time to time, arca may slip on you if it’s not tightened down well or the rail isn’t the same spec as the clamp.

For this reason, I prefer the ingenuity gunworks adjustarail system. I don’t use the barricade blocks and such. But the pic rail adapter is even faster than arca and more secure as well. I’m currently changing all my stocks over to the ingenuity rail.

I really like the way Magpul designed their bipod to quickly and effortlessly lock out the pan feature if you don't need it. My Magpul bipod sits on my 223 with the pan locked since I'm shooting static targets at the range 95% of the time. However, if I took off for the weekend to set up on a prairie dog town its a quick change in the field to use that feature. Pretty well thought out design in my opinion and nice to have that option.

Reactions: pilotjoe
    Looking to upgrade some bipods. Wondering if there is any solid reasons to have a bipod that has pan abilities? Applications of use would be for both static target shooting and rifle matches. Not particularly hunting but wouldn’t mind hearing thoughts on that use as well.

Additionally, static pic mounts or is there a argument for rail mounts like RRS or ARCA?

Pan really describes movement, the pan feature allows you to Pan but also allows for target engagement other than 90 degrees to the bipod in dynamic shooting situations. Meaning, for example you have a crack in a bolder to load the bipod into but your target is not "square" or straight in front of that crack but rather 10 degrees left. The Pan will allow you to move to that 10 degree position without thinking about it. Do you need it? No.

Reactions: AIAW
    Not only do I want pan but also cant. We build positions on rocks and such during matches where it’s just necessary to either have those features, or else retract the bipod and use a bag in the front. And some other stages have driven home the need to be able to slide the bipod on an arpa rail for balance. But if you’re not shooting from ridiculous support points in a match that you would never choose for target shooting or hunting, then I do not think you would have to have any of those features or even a bipod. Without being restricted to one bag, you can just use two bags or whatever.

I have an old Harris with pan that I liked. But I used it for hunting not precision.

Prefer the ability to cant and pan as well - but also want to be able to lock the bipod down so that it doesn't do either unless I force it (usually from loading/pressuring the rifle to get it to cant or swivel while in firing position)

I have 4 Atlas bipods and generally crank them down about as tight as I can by hand - have never had an issue with any of them loosening up.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    I am not a fan of pan on bipods. When I used to use it, it was more of an annoyance than a feature. I'm surprized more companies havent incorporated the ability to lock out the pan function when not specifically using it. Options

There's really no price difference so why not? I think it's more helpful in small amounts, where people tend to think you want it on wide arcs.

Kinda like what Kasey described, helping you get on target, not necessarily for movers and such.

As far as my understanding of fundamentals are concerned shouldn’t you be moving your whole body and rifle with your hips as you transition from target to target not simply rotating the rifle? So to me it seems completely unnecessary and against good fundamentals.

The "pan" feature lets you do exactly that without repositioning the whole bipod. It sounds like you've never used a bipod that lets you traverse the rifle.

• Haha
    Reactions: Genesis1984
    I find cant more important than pan. My Elite Iron does not pan and I don’t miss it very often. I’ll take the stability over the pan function.

However, there are situations where pan is super helpful as others have said. I have an ATLAS for those times.

If there was a bipod that provided the pan and stability, I would say it would be on my stick in a heartbeat

Last edited:
    Nah my atlas just sits at home in my top drawer. What a stupid thing to say.

My point is why would you bother panning a bipod when you’re moving the whole rifle and your body anyways? Just move the bipod and set it up properly also. Recoil management means recoil is supposed to be coming straight backwards. Bipod legs not being perpendicular to the rifle is not straight backwards. Not good fundamentals.
    The whole concept seems counter intuitive as far as I’m concerned.
    I'm not going to get in an argument with you and I don't really give a shit how you do anything.

It's clear you are blaming equipment for your mistakes.

• Haha
    Reactions: Genesis1984
    Thanks all, many different perspectives above. I’m leaning towards an Atlas CAL. If I ended up needing some type of pan down the road, getting a back-up Atlas V8 isn’t the worst thing.