• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipods

Well shot my rifle (Bergara Premier Ridgeback ) with my new Atlas Bi Pod ,rotating legs didn't rotate, nothing to fix . 5 out of 5 stars

Reactions: DarrinW
It makes it hard to load the bipod when the legs rotate and it walks forward
The rifle will only move forward you if you push on it. You need to be pulling into your shoulder, not pushing forward. This is why I loathe the phrase “load the bipod”.

The rifle will only move forward you if you push on it. You need to be pulling into your shoulder, not pushing forward. This is why I loathe the phrase “load the bipod”.

Agreed. Remove the slack/play is a more accurate term.

Atlas Bi pods cost 3X that of Harris ,I want to shoot steel off a bench our prone . Is the Atlas that much better ?
Sand/shooting bags are inexpensive and performance heavy for static shooting scenarios. But to your specific question, USSCOM ships a Harris bipod installed on the 300NM barrel in the Advanced Sniper Rifle Barrett MRAD MK22 Deployment Kit. At what I and USSCOM paid for that kit, the Harris vs Atlas bipod cost differential isn't even a rounding error magnitude. Price wasn't a decision factor. Performance, service selection. But, in the shooting arena big picture, you are quibbling over peanuts. If that cost differential is a big factor, you'll have bigger issues in achieving performance. Shoot borrowed bipods in each style you are considering. Buy what works best for your application, preferences. By once; cry once; happy ever after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
As has been said before, it the rotating legs are an issue, you’re loading into it too much. You only take the slack out, nothing more. And you should also have rearward pressure with firing hand (if you’re executing perfect fundamentals).

So your body gives a slight “push” to take the slack out and your firing hand pulls back into collar bone.

The solution isn’t eliminating the rotating legs. The solution is using equipment properly in the first place

Reactions: 308pirate
I still prefer Harris for hunting and general use rifles. I prefer Atlas on my Precision match rifles. I purchased a Magpul when they first came out, and gave it to a newer shooter. I hated it, and felt like it would break at some point.

Sand/shooting bags are inexpensive and performance heavy for static shooting scenarios. But to your specific question, USSCOM ships a Harris bipod installed on the 300NM barrel in the Advanced Sniper Rifle Barrett MRAD MK22 Deployment Kit. At what I and USSCOM paid for that kit, the Harris vs Atlas bipod cost differential isn't even a rounding error magnitude. Price wasn't a decision factor. Performance, service selection. But, in the shooting arena big picture, you are quibbling over peanuts. If that cost differential is a big factor, you'll have bigger issues in achieving performance. Shoot borrowed bipods in each style you are considering. Buy what works best for your application, preferences. By once; cry once; happy ever after.
I belive @THEIS resolved why its shipped with the harris. Its not specified and is allowed as substitute. That does not mean its better or worse. It costs less. I would not base a decision on what .gov buys.

I have a Harris and I’ve always liked it, I stayed away from the magpul bipod because of some of the reviews, I wish I hadn’t. My in-laws got me the magpul bipod for my birthday so I threw it on, my favorite bipod I’ve shot on by far, given I’m sure the atlas is better but I can’t see 3 or 4 times the cost better.

Hi,

That statement I bolded is absolutely false!! Everyone always seems to think "price does not matter" when .gov makes a decision in regards to solicitations and tenders. That is completely false narrative.

On top of that the supplier (Barrett in this instance) damn sure cares about cost and deliver schedules and terms of payment and warranty/repair, etc etc of the bipod they are supplying since every dollar and minute saved on the accessories of the kit equal more profit and proficiency to them.

This "decision" could be something as simple as Harris offering a net 90 payment and everyone else only offering a net 15 payment. In ALL business, start up, small, medium and large that absolutely matters in .gov contracts.

This "decision" could be something as complex as Harris offering to take ALL warranty/repair work at ZERO cost to Barrett in which .gov would be provided a direct POC to Harris instead of having to go through the supplier (Barrett).

This "decision" could have been driven by .gov alone and not Barrett whatsoever. That is done in many different ways and reasonings. From simple financials and production schedules to complexity of how many jobs does this tender provide and the State incentives for such.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

That statement I bolded is absolutely false!! Everyone always seems to think "price does not matter" when .gov makes a decision in regards to solicitations and tenders. That is completely false narrative.

On top of that the supplier (Barrett in this instance) damn sure cares about cost and deliver schedules and terms of payment and warranty/repair, etc etc of the bipod they are supplying since every dollar and minute saved on the accessories of the kit equal more profit and proficiency to them.

This "decision" could be something as simple as Harris offering a net 90 payment and everyone else only offering a net 15 payment. In ALL business, start up, small, medium and large that absolutely matters in .gov contracts.

This "decision" could be something as complex as Harris offering to take ALL warranty/repair work at ZERO cost to Barrett in which .gov would be provided a direct POC to Harris instead of having to go through the supplier (Barrett).

This "decision" could have been driven by .gov alone and not Barrett whatsoever. That is done in many different ways and reasonings. From simple financials and production schedules to complexity of how many jobs does this tender provide and the State incentives for such.

Sincerely,
Theis

Having worked 9 excruciating years at a mil/aero contractor, @THEIS is absolutely correct; one of the reasons I don't fly- I know what they're made of, and how. [shudder] Look to see what the guy who buys his own gear, and wins consistently, uses. If you can't afford that, at least get the best you can afford, and work around the shortcomings- that's what "fundamentals" are, so you can't blame your equipment. My $0.02 worth

Reactions: theLBC and DarrinW
I don't think the brand of bipod (as long as it's a quality one) will matter too much for the OP. I have a shelf full of bipods (Harris, Atlas, MDT, Warne, and Accu-Tac). The main difference to me seems to be ease of adjustment. Some can go to 45 degrees forward, some 45 degrees back, some 0 degrees back, some only 90 degrees and 0 degrees forward. Some legs are easy to deploy, some are easier to retract. The MDT has legs that can go narrow, normal, or wide. I think most of that only matters if you're shooting competitions where you need to be able to adjust fast or to an unusual position. For shooting off a bench at your own pace, get whatever. I'd make sure it has cant adjustment though, so you can keep your rifle at the correct angle on angled surfaces.

I don't think the brand of bipod (as long as it's a quality one) will matter too much for the OP. I have a shelf full of bipods (Harris, Atlas, MDT, Warne, and Accu-Tac). The main difference to me seems to be ease of adjustment. Some can go to 45 degrees forward, some 45 degrees back, some 0 degrees back, some only 90 degrees and 0 degrees forward. Some legs are easy to deploy, some are easier to retract. The MDT has legs that can go narrow, normal, or wide. I think most of that only matters if you're shooting competitions where you need to be able to adjust fast or to an unusual position. For shooting off a bench at your own pace, get whatever. I'd make sure it has cant adjustment though, so you can keep your rifle at the correct angle on angled surfaces.
Well stated.

ditto everyone. i have a harris/larue qd bipod and it just works, but i have a larger accu-tac that is more flexible with more range.
in particular, being able to pivot at a 45 is great if you're not just shooting prone and from a bench.
i don't shoot any better with either one. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DarrinW
I feel there same way about benches. I thought it was just me.
I got a foam bleacher cushion. Not the foam with the cheap vinyl cover but a denser foam dipped in vinyl. It gives enough traction to load the bipod and gives the feet something to grip on the bench.

I got a foam bleacher cushion. Not the foam with the cheap vinyl cover but a denser foam dipped in vinyl. It gives enough traction to load the bipod and gives the feet something to grip on the bench.

If you’re putting the proper rearward pressure with your 3 fingers on your grip hand, your bipod won’t walk and you can load out the slack (which is all you should be loading) on most any surface.

Reactions: Scoutabout
Here’s another angle and slower frame rate. This was with a fortune cookie bag and not a real rear bag. With a proper rear bag, I expect to have even a bit better recoil management. This is also still a 300 Norma magnum.

Reactions: Hardpan
Shoulda gotta bipod with a panning lockout.

I can’t believe how a lot of these “high end” bipod manufacturers still haven’t yet figured out a way to keep their legs square to the rifle or that a lot of people strongly want a panning lockout option.

Magpul is hard to beat for a budget bipod with panning lockout and will do everything you need it to and more for a fraction of the price of an atlas.
Some reviews say the Magpul legs are loose. Magpul argues it's by designed for shooter to load the bipod.

I ended up buying a Harris.

Harris doesn't have a version that can "pan", does it?