• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Birth of the Goblin!

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
GAP Goblin

308Win
Templar II Action
Bartlein 11.25 twist 5R
Mc A5; 50%OD, 25% light tan, 25% dark earth
BO 20moa rail
BO Rings
BO bottom metal
BO Tactical shifter
BO FTE brake
Jewel Trigger
Harris Swivel 6-9
Pod Lock
Pod Claws

Ordered Feb 4th, delivered September 1st. Sent back September 8th received September 22nd.

First time seeing the rifle it is green, very green. So green in fact, when my eldest son saw it, looks like the Green Goblin, we are huge Spiderman fans.

The A5 has very slick feel, This is my first Mc but in certain areas, it looks like fine grit sand paper or emery cloth was used to hand rub the stock but only in certain areas, not the whole stock. This is an enigma to me. Once to my shoulder, in an instant, it fits me a lot better than my HS PST030. Not sure if the A5 is perfect but after having the HS for 2+ years and having muscle memory from shooting it, I really liked the HS stock until now. I am amazed at how much better the Mc fit’s. I do not know if another stock could or would fit any better. The vertical grip on the Mc allows a very natural grip and angle on my hand. The only thing I prefer the HS better is the ruff finish.

The marble mixture did not turn out quite like I envisioned . I wanted more light tan, dark earth is OK. To my eyes, it does not look like 25% tan and dark earth, of course, it is very hard for anyone to predict what the ratio will look like under Mc’s manufacturing process. I am thinking 50% OD, 35% light tan and 15% dark earth if ever again.

The GAP is quite a bit heavier than my SPS 700 Varmint that has 1800 steel BB’s in the stock. The difference is, the GAP is muzzle heavy and my 700 is balanced with the BBs. Of course, the barrel on the GAP bigger in diameter Vs. the varmint contour but then again, its 4“ shorter but again has the muzzle brake.

The bolt handle is longer and has a longer shift than my 700. Sliding the bolt back its smooth but still not quite as smooth as my 700. With my 700, I can use first 2 fingers to left bolt, rotate these fingers to push the bolt back then slide it forward chambering a round. I slapped some grease on the bolt and it helped but takes quite a bit of effort, holding the stock with my left hand to chamber a round and the bolt lift is long.

I played with the Jewel trigger but not really to my liking. The shoe is very narrow and the safety was very hard to engage.

US Optics

SN3.2-17x44mmT-pal
Sunshade 2” fixed
Polarizer/ARD
30mm tube
Lo profile eyepiece
EREK 1/10 mil
US#1 M40 1/10mil
Mil scale GAP reticle
OG green anodizing
Swivel bubble level OD green

Ordered April 24th took possession September 12th. Doc told me my scope was in QA and any day that it would ship. Doc said both he and I would get an email alert. I never got an email of shipping, Fed-Ex showed up at the door Friday 11 September with no one to answer the door and left a notice I had a signature package. I had no idea what the package was but had a hope it would be the USO. The wife is always getting packages but they do not require a signature. So I had to wait till Saturday noon to drive in to Fed-Ex, sign and pick it up. No way I was waiting till Monday September 14th for FedEx to deliver.

When the lady walked from the back at FedEx, I could not believe the size of the box. It was long so I knew it had to be the USO but wow was the box big. She carried it cradled on both arms. Opened the first huge brown box and stuffed in all the peanuts was the USO white box, this box was huge too. Inside the white box the scope did not look that big but pulling it from the plastic and getting a hands on feel, it is quite large and it just had a feeling that I had a quality scope.

The first impressions are, it feels like a well made USA product. I could feel the difference in the solid construction. I am not bashing anyone or anything, I could instantly feel a difference just by handling it compared to all other scopes I have handled. It feels that much better in my hands. Everything about it on my first impression is it is built to take a beating and perform.

I have anticipated this sight since placing the order more so than my rifle. Looking through it, it comparing to a Swaroski, NF, Ziess and I see no difference side by side. I did see a noticeable difference between the Loopy VXIII / Mark 4.

I really debated my self whether to order an ST10 or SN3. And to be honest, still not sure. Not that I do not drool over the SN3, but as of right now, I do not like the FFP and how the ret changes sizes. It is playing games with the blob of goo in my head. As I use and learn, I am sure this will change but I find it hard to grasp the reticle at different sizes while changing power settings. Since 1978, I have run nothing but fixed power scopes; 3x on my 340Wby, 4x on my Nylon66 and 10x SS on my 700, the reticle is always the same size. Now, it changes sizes and in my mind, this don’t make sense.

Love the color, it does not match the OD green of my GAP built rifle though. When I opened the box I thought the color was wrong, looked earth brown but taking it outside the OD green pops in the light. To my eye anyway, in low light it looks brown but in bright light looks OD, not sure if this is on purpose or it is my old eyes but its really wild.

The Mil scale GAP reticle is beyond belief on how easy it is to read mils. With objects around the neighborhood, at 10x - 17x it is a snap to mil. But at 3.2x it is a different process and I find this power setting and milling not useful at all.

The EREK and US#1 M40 windage knobs are tactile with solid detents. the best I have felt with NF, Burris, Loopy and SS. Large and easy to grab, easy to hold with gloves on with enough friction turning the knobs I can tell instantly each click, this makes them easy to know where the turrets are with the mark. Not anything like my soft squishy SS that I never knew if I was on 4.5 or 4.75 / 4.25.

The T-pal is weird. Not sure how to describe. Going from infinity down there is more resistance in the knob Vs going from 50 yards up to infinity. Stopping along the way and reversing the direction on the knob, there is definitely a difference in feel depending on which way it is rotated.

Reading the books of information that came with it left me dazed. I thought I understood the EREK but the USO sheet has me confused again. Plus, all the sheets keep referring to SN2. A couple PM’s to Doc and he straighten me out, he said most of us make the EREK confusing but his little tutorial and I think I understand it, well much more than I did.

One disturbing DON’T DOS says, do not take scope from warm house into outside cold. A temperature change of 40F can saturate the dissicant inside and fog the scope. I routinely go from 70F house to -30F over the winter, that’s a 100 degree difference. I have never had this happen even with a $30 4x rimfire scope.

Mounting the USO was pure easy. I told George at GAP what scope was going on and they seem to have put the rings right where they should be and they were torqued. Well, my problem was a short eye relief so I had to move the front ring back one slot.

Now, my USO bubble level will not fit between the rear ring and the cell area of the scope. Very not happy. So, I mounted the bubble level between the front ring and cell and to be honest, easier to see, why did I not do this before. I got the swivel bubble and there is no room for it to swivel, it hit’s the cell area and no room for my fingers to tighten or loosen the bubble knob.

I slid in a feeler gauge and the large area of the cell area made lots of contact, this is a very easy method to level mount a scope.

So far, the bubble level and cross hairs seem to be perfect.

Butler Creek eye cap went on no problems but the Obj, no room between the barrel, very close tolerance. A couple minutes with a Dremel and now it fits but there is not much material on the cap and it has to be on perfect or it makes contact. I do not think the caps will last long and will crack. So, like it was said here, use some tape. Butler Creek caps are size 18 EYE #20180 and 40 OBJ #30400.

Re: Birth of the Goblin!

First day on the range with the Goblin was very eventful. Forget this, forgot that, I have not been training for 3 months so everything was out of synch. I did an old school bore sight that looked left and up to get on target. Grabbed a round and threw into the hole and it hit the ground, what the heck, Grabbed the round and got up to look and see what was going on and, OH yea, got to use a magazine. Fired one round at 100, a little left and high, says 2mil high. Not sure what I did but shot #2 I could not find. Shot #3 again still no hole. Walked down range and the 2 holes touched but 3 feet low at the edge of the cardboard. I went home.

The other thing I noticed, it is very hard to chamber a round. I must grab the bolt and force a round from the mag and into the changer. This was almost effortless with my 700. Also, ejecting that first spent brass landed 10-12 feet away, wow do they come out. When on the bench, the brass will land in the gravel behind the next bench over. My 700 they would hit the end of the bench or just land off its edge, the Templar II throws a good fast ball.

Day 2, I ensured I did not forget anything until half way there, forgot target stand. Anyway, after my frustration last time out, I decided to start over. I put USO turrets back to zero forgetting a bore site. Fired one shot at 25 yards, almost dead center of the orange dot on a Shoot N C. Backed target out to 100, shot second round and just about the same spot as 25 yards. GAP and USO accessorized with BO are darn near perfect.

I decided to try my hand at barrel break-in. First day I shot 1 round and ran a wet patch of Butches down the bore. No blue but came out just light gray. Dry patched it 2 times and fired round 2. Wet patch came out light gray so I dry patched it twice. Third round was just like round 2 and with things so out of synch, bullet holes missing and doing a break-in process took more time that I had, so I Butched bore oil the barrel and went home.

Day 2, I was done with this break-in process but still went and tried it again. Shot one round, ran a Butches patch that came out medium light gray, then a dry patch, then a wet patch and it came out very light gray, so I ran 2 dry patches. Shot one round and Butches patch showed very light gray so I wet patched it again, no color, then I ran 2 dry patches, nothing on them. Then I used a Dewey brush wet with Butches for 5 strokes and another wet patch, same thing, very light gray, no blue. Fired 5 shot group, a wet patch was light gray, so I dry patch, dry patch then Butches bore oil patch. This is so time consuming and the weather got bad so I went home. Not sure what this means; stronger copper solvent or my bore does not foul or what but I think I am done with that process. This is a very hard process to do on a bench at a range and if this takes 25 or more rounds, this could take a day and half. If I mess up foul my barrel by not doing this procedure correctly, then I guess I will start saving for a new tube but it will be from someone who’s break-in procedure is; shoot it, clean it when done.

A couple things about the USO. I am still not sure why I got the SN3. I shot at 25 yards on 3.2x but when I went to 100, I used 12x just because its there. Last 5 round group was at 17x and I am not sure why I will ever use any lower power. But being a one time scope that I may never be able to afford again, I jumped up to the SN so over time this probably was the right decision. I do know, if I ever get another USO, it will be the ERGO.

I had major issues with focus. So, on 17x parallax set infinity, I looked out over the water with eye focus turned CCW to its end, went a half turn in and it got less blurry, went quarter turn in and better, another quarter and very crisp. Back the eye out again and reconfirmed but I went another quarter in, absolute crisp now. I am working on adjusting the Parallax. So far, the idiot numbers are close to no parallax.

I finally got time to concentrate on shooting Tuesday. I now discovered my Jewel trigger safety does not engage, this kind of set my mind into chaos. Only 3 times did it engage and I had to force it. Hate the Jewel trigger. As of right now, I will never have another one and after conversing with George about my non working safety, I wonder why I ordered it. I have yet to put a gauge on it but it feels in the area of 3+ pounds. I will get it adjusted lower, after 2 years with my RB set at 1#, the Jewel feels like pulling a house. What I dislike most is the narrow shoe that forces my pad to one side or the other, mostly rolling left. I prefer the wide shoe of the 700 and will replace the Jewel.

Love the FTE muzzle brake. It has different report than my 700. There is no recoil worth mentioning. I was hesitant about the brake but glad I did now. I was just ordering a threaded muzzle and a cover but thought why not try a brake and jumped on the FTE and me likes it.

Pics man, we need to see some pics.
laugh.gif

L.

Yeah great description bro, but you know this audience!! We got to have PICS!!!

Top left target: My first shot was low and right and the group was not all that impressive. I blame the trigger and out of focus scope. Group two is left bottom target of 5 shots was much better, more like I wanted. Group three is the right target and I discovered with the Jewel trigger and the very narrow shoe, I am padding it over left and called this round 7 and then confirmed with follow up shots. I controlled the first 5 then went fast with the next mag, there are a few shots in that the group that hit air.
002.jpg

On Thursday I got out again. Still having issues with the safety, worked a few times but it must be forced engaged. The three vertical targets with the top my first group, middle my second where I clicked one click right and worked on my trigger pad and of course bottom was third and no changes but I called over compensated for my finger on the shoe. I went back left one click. The target to the far left is 10 shots about as quick as I could shoot.

I then backed out to 300 yards. I have no idea what my dope would be but I guessed 16.2 with 1/10 clicks. You can see, on the top right target above the target there are two holes side by side at this dope. I guessed at some fuzzy math, and hit low on the Shoot N C.
009.jpg

The Goblin on my gun desk.
014.jpg

013-1.jpg

Looking down range.
007.jpg

My target stand.
008.jpg

Set up on the bench.
004.jpg

006.jpg

No room for the needed!
012-1.jpg

There is space there, not much!
006-1.jpg

Stupid picture.
011-1.jpg

Get more in my AO when the freezing rain stops.

Nice, so when do I get to shoot....I mean, when are you moving to Missouri?

The dislike of the FFP will go away soon. With use, you will hardly even notice it.

Looks like you made wise choices all the way around. Enjoy it.

Very nice, I like the mix you did on the stock. I also like the fact you did not use super ultra extra high rings. It's snug you can see where you sanded the lens cover to make it fit, is the stock pad nescessary with that height rings.

Don't be afraid to admit it's cool and you like it even if you don't need it.

Move will be April or early May. Like everything, with use the FFP will make me happy.

The stock pack is not necessary but have to look tactikewl with it. If the stock was not slick I would not use it. I was specific with George about the SN3 and asked him to use the rings that would fit the best and this is what he sent. Very easy to get low with a fat chipmunk weld on the stock.

Thanks all

Fuzzy math problems don't happen in a FFP Mil/Mil scope. Read how high and right you are, drop down and shoot.
It is really that easy.
Chad

Very Nice. IS that Condor Pack on the table on the right? Hows the quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice. IS that Condor Pack on the table on the right? Hows the quality? </div></div>

Its a Camelback from Scott on here, his web is warriorgear.com I think. He beat everyone's price on a 3 day assault size pack so I jumped on it. So far after 2 years, its worked like champ but it has virtually no backcountry use on it, I have a superlight pack for that.

Ah IC. I was thinking that but I didnt think they made on in multicam