• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bit the bullet and bought an S&B 5-25x MOA/MOA P4f

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
After lots of thinking and research I ordered the S&B 5-25x with p4f MOA reticle. Every scope I own is the NF 5-22 NPR1 so I am just very comfortable with MOA so when S&B came out with this option I had to check it out. It will be sitting in a set of BO rings on my GAP 308.

I will def do a side by side comparison with my NF and see if it is really worth twice the price. If so, they will all be replaced. Jay at Sportoptics was awesome as always. Stay tuned...

Re: Bit the bullet and bought an S&B 5-25x MOA/MOA P4f

I thought I had a high end collection with two Leupold MK4's and a SS 5-20HD. You give me feelings of inadequecy.

Congrats. You will enjoy the scope.

Try and hang some newspaper at 100 yards and see if you can read it with both of them. That should provide a good objective test of resolution and contrast. Maybe get a color chart and see how color is replicated to the eye. Lastly, try and see how the performance in low light matches up.
Use an object or chart that you can view with both as the sun goes down and twilight begins. Test to see at what power it has to be set on for optimal performance.

I'm interested to hear the results.

What kind of delivery date did Sportsoptics give you? I've been trying to get one for about 5 months now from another vendor. Did you order the black or tan color?

00bullitt said:
Try and hang some newspaper at 100 yards and see if you can read it with both of them. That should provide a good objective test of resolution and contrast. Maybe get a color chart and see how color is replicated to the eye. Lastly, try and see how the performance in low light matches up.
Use an object or chart that you can view with both as the sun goes down and twilight begins. Test to see at what power it has to be set on for optimal performance.

I'm interested to hear the results.

+1

I ordered one from Jay at SportOptics back in February and got the call that it was on its way in March or April. I absolutely love the scope and you will too. I got the MOA reticle by the way.

I'll probably bite the bullet on a 3-20x with the MOA reticle in a year or two (S&B's old website said it was available). Jay will be the guy I call.

I just switched from a NF 5.5-22 to a S&B 5-25 MSR. You will love it.

Envious to say the least but if you have the need to part with one of the 5.5x22 let me know, been wanting to try the higher mag. You lucky dog.

I'm on month 6 of my wait. I hope your time pining is shorter.

Nice thing about the wait it makes me remember what it was like to be a kid waiting for Christmas.

I'm still waiting on my RAL-8000 5-25 ccw mil/mil H-59 to come in
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on month 6 of my wait. I hope your time pining is shorter.

Nice thing about the wait it makes me remember what it was like to be a kid waiting for Christmas. </div></div>

LOL, I've only had a 2 month wait but know the feeling. Got my notice that both of mine shipped Friday and can only liken that feeling to xmas as a kid.

Have both the NXS 5.5 x 22 and a S&B PM11 5x25. S&B wins the test on clarity and overall brightness ( a subjective term ). I think you will be very satisfied with the scope choice.

I hope I don't piss off a lot of people but my wait time was zero. I called Jay, he had one in stock and shipped the next day. My UPS tracking shows it will be delivered on 10/12
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I don't piss off a lot of people but my wait time was zero. I called Jay, he had one in stock and shipped the next day. My UPS tracking shows it will be delivered on 10/12
wink.gif
</div></div>

Not pissed at all. Glad you found instant gratification.

If I wasn't color queer I'd probably be as happy as you. Wanting to fashion coordinate my RAL8000 scope with the rifles FDE plastic is costing me time. Include an MSR reticle and I have increasd my wait time further.

Seeing as I wont have the rifle it is going on until December this is actualy a good thing that I have to wait. Otherwise I'd be holding it up to my eye for the next few months like some sort of spyglass pirate - Aye me mateys!.

Next thing you know I'd be bitching about how S&B sucks, the eye relief blows, the eye box moves all over the place, I'd end up returning it before it was ever on a rifle aka call me Gappa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I don't piss off a lot of people but my wait time was zero. I called Jay, he had one in stock and shipped the next day. My UPS tracking shows it will be delivered on 10/12
wink.gif
</div></div>

Not pissed at all. Glad you found instant gratification.

If I wasn't color queer I'd probably be as happy as you. Wanting to fashion coordinate my RAL8000 scope with the rifles FDE plastic is costing me time. Include an MSR reticle and I have increasd my wait time further.

Seeing as I wont have the rifle it is going on until December this is actualy a good thing that I have to wait. Otherwise I'd be holding it up to my eye for the next few months like some sort of spyglass pirate - Aye me mateys!.

Next thing you know I'd be bitching about how S&B sucks, the eye relief blows, the eye box moves all over the place, I'd end up returning it before it was ever on a rifle aka call me Gappa. </div></div>

Same here. I have my particulars about what I wanted and am willing to wait.

I just received and mounted my new S&B 5-25x with p4f MIL reticle and MIL turrets on my GAP Crusader (.308) yesterday.
Going to the range tomorrow. Pretty excited.
I was using Premier Reticles 5-15X50, and it is agreat scope. This is my first S&B.

I'm not a scope guy as of yet. I bought my 5-25 based on what I read only. I have never even seen these scopes in MA. I'm sure there here just not many.

If I hadnt decided on the scope I did Premier would have been my choice.

I'll be surprised if you have a born again experience based on the fact you are comparing nice scope A to nice scope B.

Last scope I looked through was a Tasco. First trip to the range with the LMT/S&B I will be bringing a fresh pair of undershorts to the range with me.

Down in CT if you wanted to drive down and see them. Got some 5-25s and a 3-20.

Interested in seeing how you like it, trying to decide what scope I'm going with on my .260 build. I am really looking at the Nightforce F1 but would like more magnification.

Very keen to hear the verdict on this one, im currently tossing between the S&B or March scopes. "Bit the Bullet" sure sums up the great dilema one faces before hitting the "checkout & pay" button!!! infact im guilty of getting that far and then closing down the computer and running to bed
frown.gif

any case, very keen to hear about this one, Great purchase and good luck!

I bought my first S&B based on reading mostly. I'd only got behind one and not fired with it. I got it and used it for a while...then sold both my NFs for another S&B. Congrats, you'll love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down in CT if you wanted to drive down and see them. Got some 5-25s and a 3-20. </div></div>

Sir,

Ive already bounced some questions off you prior to making my purchase and most recently you sent me a PDF for setting the LT turrets to save me the embarrassment later of asking why cant I get my 5-25 on a 20 MOA mount to elevate beyond 300 yds.

So instead of taking time out of your day in a personal visit as you so generously offer could you please mail one of your scopes, preferably a 5-25 in a Spuhr mount, for me to check out? Send it to

Dick Hurts
PO Box 6969
Nairobi, Kenya

I will send you a personal check for the full value of the scope to hold until its safe return.

Thank you.

LOL Only if you are a Nigerian Prince.

Got the scope today. When the UPS man walked up i was like a kid in xmas. Wow, what a beast of a scope. It makes my NF 5-22x feel like a toy. The turrets feel incredible and very tactile. The 32MOA for a single elevation is amazing that it can get me to a 1k with a single revolution vs the 3 revolutions with my current NF. Also, the yellow color change on the second revolution is priceless. I have had some major headaches when someone has messed with my turrets and i have been off an entire elevation and not known why the hell i am not even on target.

I have not mounted the scope yet so i wont get in to the glass etc, but if it is anything like the outside i am sure i will be impressed. Will keep you guys posted.

I made the switch last month from a NF 5.5-22x50 to a S&B 3-20 p4f. The S&B is an incredible scope and you will be very happy.

I must be the only person who tried an S&B and didn't see an improvement in glass from my NF. Used a resolution chart and both scopes at 20X to compare. I've got 20/20 vision (checked less than a year ago) and could read the same lines with both scopes. I did love the knobs though, and the scope was first-rate as far as construction went.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down in CT if you wanted to drive down and see them. Got some 5-25s and a 3-20. </div></div>

Sir,

Ive already bounced some questions off you prior to making my purchase and most recently you sent me a PDF for setting the LT turrets to save me the embarrassment later of asking why cant I get my 5-25 on a 20 MOA mount to elevate beyond 300 yds.

So instead of taking time out of your day in a personal visit as you so generously offer could you please mail one of your scopes, preferably a 5-25 in a Spuhr mount, for me to check out? Send it to

Dick Hurts
PO Box 6969
Nairobi, Kenya

I will send you a personal check for the full value of the scope to hold until its safe return.

Thank you. </div></div>

Have him send two, I will send a personal check also...........

Have both, several NXS's, and both are great scopes. I personally would have to give the edge to the S&B PM11. But that is a subjective view, not having one of the resolution charts ( need to get one !).

I am a big NF fan, and have owned a few of them but all have been replaced with the PMII. As far as build quality, reliability, repeatability, and durability (basically all the mechanicals of the scope) I feel the two are on the same level. The features of the two scopes are a give and take for me both good and bad its a wash. However where the differences come in for me is in the optics. Specifically the resolution is noticeably better in the PMII. With both scopes properly mounted and adjusted and set on the same power the Bender hands down out performs in all lighting and atmospheric conditions for me. I have tested this on a few different scopes and have always had the same results. I do have to say at short range the NF does very well but as the distance grows and the conditions goes to hell the Bender starts to pull away fast. I have also tested this with many other brands and have had the same results. The only other to come close is the Zeiss Victory Diavari & Hensoldt. Please note this is not a slam on NF as I said I am a big fan, but these are MY findings after several years of testing YMMV. I didnt mean to hijack your thread Alpha just thought I would throw my .02 in. I too look forward to your thoughts, enjoy!

great choice, I am saving my milk money and overtime to buy one of those awesome SB 5-25, it'll early next year.
congrats.

If NF ever starts using better glass and updates their reticle and F1 scope selection, they may run everyone else out of business. I think they sat on their "success" just a little too long. I sold my NF after 6 months and went to IOR's. The construction quality isn't nearly as good but the glass is side by side, clearly better. There are alot of shooters who have similar opinions about NF's glass so it isn't just me. I was very dissapointed with the light transmission and glass quality for the cost. Hopefully they will decide to move to a 34-35mm tube one of these days where the rest of the modern scope world currently sits.

I got a phone call from the Denver area code this evening. At first I thought it was going to be Obama from the debate using one of his life lines but to my surprise it was Mile High.

They were very considerate in offering a 5-25X56 LT RAL8000 P4F scope to me as they have had me on their wait list for some time. I'm going to hold off for the MSR as I'm thinking the not too big, not too fine crosshairs will perform well for me. Still very nice and customer oriented of Mile High to go out of their way to provide service like that.

Anyone looking for 5-25X56 may want to call Mile High.

I have to tell you that i love this damn scope. I own four NF 5.5-22x and kind of pissed that i actually crossed the line. Is the S&B 2x better than NF? NO. I will say that. But i would say the difference is enough that i am thinking of selling all my NFs and replacing them with high end glass such as S&B, Premier or Steiner etc. I have not had a chance to look at anything this high end besides the S&B i just got so cant make any comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to tell you that i love this damn scope. I own four NF 5.5-22x and kind of pissed that i actually crossed the line. Is the S&B 2x better than NF? NO. I will say that. But i would say the difference is enough that i am thinking of selling all my NFs and replacing them with high end glass such as S&B, Premier or Steiner etc. I have not had a chance to look at anything this high end besides the S&B i just got so cant make any comments. </div></div>

I was kind of afraid of this. Wanting to switch all my scopes. I would also like to try a Premier out, but I doubt I would actually get rid of all my NF's. We'll see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oakland Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skkeeter, your scope will come with Butler Creeks. </div></div>

Mike, thanks again for all the great service.