• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bix’n Andy issue in Zermatt TL3

dbow

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
Hey y’all,

I’m struggling with the firing pin dropping on bolt close with a Bix’n Andy tac sport pro in a Zermatt TL3.

I changed the top sear to the low 3.6mm sear and followed the instructions on adjusting the sear engagement screw. I can get the trigger adjusted so it will cock and hold the firing pin when out of the stock. Once I place it in the stock/bottom metal and tighten the action screws it will drop the firing pin every few bolt cycles.

I am new to putting together rifles but like to learn so please let me know how you would approach this.

Thanks.

Sounds like There is contact somewhere if it’s working outside of the stock

Check all around the bottom metal trigger cut for rub marks and the bolt handle recess on the stock, it might not be a huge amount of contact either

Sounds like There is contact somewhere if it’s working outside of the stock

Check all around the bottom metal trigger cut for rub marks and the bolt handle recess on the stock, it might not be a huge amount of contact either
Ok, I’ll start there. The bolt does look close to the front of the stock bolt inlet but I didn’t know that could cause my issue.

Yea, any touching/binding can cause stuff to hang up, there’s not a whole lot of room for error with moving trigger/sear parts

The bolt is likely not the issue but it’s something to check

My money would be on something on the trigger housing kissing the bottom metal

Does it still drop even if you increase the sear height?

The trigger has clearance from the bottom metal and I think you’re right about the bolt not being the issue.

earlier I adjusted the sear screw quite a ways out and it would still drop from time to time. I have not put the medium sear back in because when measuring I’m sitting at 0.154 inch from cocking piece to top of trigger pin.

I pulled the trigger out of the action, disassembled it, and backed the sear adjustment screw all the way out to max engagement. I did notice the rear trigger pin is very tight in the trigger hole. Could it be causing some binding when putting the trigger pins in?

I had this same issue of the sear not catching 100% of the time when installing 4x Bix Tacsports for a friend on his rifles; 1 of the 4 had the issue, and while I can't remember with 100% certainty I think I ran into the issue on his TL3-- although it might have been on his Impact. (The TL3 does need the low sear on the Bix for sure.)

The problem was the front of the knob on the safety lever was hitting the action in the fire position and the safety was not fully disengaged. The tip of the hook on the partially engaged safety lever was very slightly dragging the pin that protrudes from the the sear and that light dragging was occasionally preventing the sear from fully resetting, and when that happened the firing pin would drop when closing the bolt.

If the front of the knob on the safety lever is contacting the action with the safety in the fire position, you are likely to have an issue. With the action out of the stock, cock the bolt and pull the trigger, and while keeping the trigger pulled work the internal sear via the pin sticking out the side. It should freely move with no resistance. If the pin drags on the safety lever, there's your problem.

Easiest solution is to grind down the front of the knob on the safety lever so the safety no longer contacts the action in the fire position... no more issues with the sear dragging the safety lever and occasionally not resetting.

There are a few actions that have this interference issue where the oversize safety knob on the Bix triggers hits the action in the fire position and prevents the safety from fully disengaging; I had to grind the front of the safety knob on all 3 of my own Tacsports.

Here's a pic of what to check. With the trigger installed in the action you want to verify that the safety lever can fully reach the fire position with the safety lever in full contact with the stop pin (blue arrow) to ensure the sear safety pin (red arrow) will clear the catch on the safety lever (green arrow.)

1705817540015.png

Last edited:
I had this same issue of the sear not catching 100% of the time when installing 4x Bix Tacsports for a friend on his rifles; 1 of the 4 had the issue, and while I can't remember with 100% certainty I think I ran into the issue on his TL3-- although it might have been on his Impact. (The TL3 does need the low sear on the Bix for sure.)

The problem was the front of the knob on the safety lever was hitting the action in the fire position and the safety was not fully disengaged. The tip of the hook on the partially engaged safety lever was very slightly dragging the pin that protrudes from the the sear and that light dragging was occasionally preventing the sear from fully resetting, and when that happened the firing pin would drop when closing the bolt.

If the front of the knob on the safety lever is contacting the action with the safety in the fire position, you are likely to have an issue. With the action out of the stock, cock the bolt and pull the trigger, and while keeping the trigger pulled work the internal sear via the pin sticking out the side. It should freely move with no resistance. If the pin drags on the safety lever, there's your problem.

Easiest solution is to grind down the front of the knob on the safety lever so the safety no longer contacts the action in the fire position... no more issues with the sear dragging the safety lever and occasionally not resetting.

There are a few actions that have this interference issue where the oversize safety knob on the Bix triggers hits the action in the fire position and prevents the safety from fully disengaging; I had to grind the front of the safety knob on all 3 of my own Tacsports.

Here's a pic of what to check. With the trigger installed in the action you want to verify that the safety lever can fully reach the fire position with the safety lever in full contact with the stop pin (blue arrow) to ensure the sear safety pin (red arrow) will clear the catch on the safety lever (green arrow.)

View attachment 8328679
Thank you so much. This was my issue and with a little bit of polishing with a dremel I got it fixed.

The Phillips head screw that holds that silver safety knob on is pretty finicky. I stripped it and ended up pulling the whole safety lever off to be able to polish the area I needed to get to.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Thank you so much. This was my issue and with a little bit of polishing with a dremel I got it fixed.

The Phillips head screw that holds that silver safety knob on is pretty finicky. I stripped it and ended up pulling the whole safety lever off to be able to polish the area I needed to get to.

Glad to hear that was the issue.

They use extra strong loctite on that screw, you won't be able to budge it and not damage the screw head without heat. Better to leave it attached to the safety lever anyways so you have something to hold on to.

I just wrap the entire trigger in blue masking tape and kiss the front of the knob on the belt sander. Takes 5 minutes tops and you don't have to disassemble anything.