• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bix n Andy....heavier first stage than second?

Railguner

1 legged hunting fool
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Centtral Valley, California
Looking to get a 2-stage trigger for my hunting rifle build. Thought about getting a Timney CE...but...then decided to try the B&A Tacsport. Looking at the user manuel it just seemed weird to me. I'm used to a 8oz - 1lb pull on the first stage and 2-2 1/2 on the second. On the B&A... they list the first stage as being adjustable from 7oz to 3.3 lbs and the second from 2.2oz to 1lb. I get the force is split between the stages and the minimum between the two is 10oz and the max is 4.5lbs. What I want is a 8-16oz first and a 2.5lb second. Is it just me that thinks this is weird as written? I mean...I don't want a 3lb first and a 1lb second or something weird like that. I want a lighter first stage than second...

Trigger Pull Per Stage.jpg

Why do you want a lighter first stage? The whole point of a two stage is the increased security of a heavier first stage and a crisp/light second stage. Maybe I'm missing something

Wouldn't having a heavier first stage likely cause you to follow right through the second stage? My 2 stage triggers all have a lighter first stage and a heavier second stage.

I prefer the heavier first stage. I just bought a handful of Larue triggers and set them up with about 1/2 the weight of the first stage on the second. You won’t blow through it unless you want to. There is still a wall there between stages

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what I was trying to convey. I'll blame the drinking haha. My point was that the majority of my trigger weight is in the first stage, then it only takes a few more ounces to pull through the 2nd stage. Since there is still a pull threshold you need to overcome, you won't pull through it unless you rush it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am fairly new to 2-stage triggers. I've only had a Timney on my RPR for a year and it is a little different. It has a 1lb first stage and a 2.5lb second. I just thought they are were light first, to get get a feel, and then heavier second. It will take some getting used too but I'm going to try the B&A. I appreciate the info and help. (y)

I like a light first stage and a heavier second stage! A heavy first stage defeats the purpose.