• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BL-C(2) for 223

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I have no powder. I'm loading .223 77gr SMK BTHP for an AR with a Kreiger 1:7.7 18" barrel. I've been offered 8lb for $220, should I do it?

Last edited:
If your looking for your AR to just go bang yes! I could never drive the 77's that well with BLC2. Also $220 is insane for a 8lb jug!!!

I believe this powder is eqivilent to WC846 military powder ideal for 308. Higher Ca++ content and more likely to cause residue build up that will need gas tube attention if a DI gun other than that excellent powder just 60$ on the high side. No powder available at local gun shows? Last GS here in KC lots of reloading components and powders just on the high side of prices.

I haven't seen pretty much any powder in the last couple months. Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to hold off until I can get ripped off buying something like 4895 of Varget...

Eugene Stoner himself warned against using ball powder in the AR rifle, just saying.

Not to pour salt into the would but check back with third generation shooting supply. They just got a big shipment that sold out in about 5 hours.

I work at a gun store and we've been getting quite a bit of powder in lately. Mostly CFE223 and IMR4064. We are selling it at 27$ a lb FWIW. I would just keep a tab on your local shops, and try to get some of what you want on backorder somewhere. Before election time last year I had 12lbs of Varget unopened because I knew what to expect. Good luck finding powder.

Eugene Stoner himself warned against using ball powder in the AR rifle, just saying.

While technically true when Eugene developed the AR-15, the issues with ball powder were worked out decades ago with the removal of calcium carbonate in the ball powder and using a heavier buffer for slowing the higher cyclic rate from the use of ball powder. There is no issues using ball powders in current rifles. The US Military has been using WC-844 ball powder for M-193 and M-855 ammo for many years. If you don't want to use it for your reloads, you don't have to.

$220 is very steep for a jug of 846 or blc-2. Hell $120 is expensive. That being said, it works well with heavy bullets in ARs. If you can find H4895 or CFE 223/SMP 746, those are ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's kinda high, but if it is all you can get.....I have used BLC2 with CCI mil spec white box primers (mag primer) and had decent results. I like BLCs--especially in my M1A, but I have used it in my AR with satisfactory results. LC brass, CCI #41, 55gr bulk.