• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Decker Bench Mate for Gun Work?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
I am trying to find something to use as a bench for firearms and this idea popped into my head, B&D Work Mate Bench. Moving to KY this spring, had to sell my giant bench with loads of space and reloading area with related stuff for the move. We no longer live in 3 bedroom with one room my man cave 2 bath house but a 850sf apartment. I can fold it up out of the way when not in use.

I was also thinking of using it for reloading, do not have my reloading kit, still back in AK but someday I hope to get it all back.

Thanks

Re: Black Decker Bench Mate for Gun Work?

It's what I use. Living in Houston I don't trust leaving my reloading equipment in the garage. After my two son's leave the house I'll hopefully have a dedicated man room.
loadingbench.jpg

Thanks, there is hope in this tiny closet called home. My problem is, wife wants it out of sight and out of the way when not in use. I saw a video of a guy using the B&D as his reloading bench, so I might try it as my gun bench. Not like I am shooting every week or reloading here like I was back home that just sucks, period!

a small bench like that can work.

you could make a top wingnuts to the top of it for a larger base. plus if you do this it is storable.

there are all kinds of bench top vises that are portable for doing gun work.

1 top for working on guns, another top setup w/ permanent reloading stuff.

i do this right now in my apartment but a little differently.

i use a frankford arsenal pedistal reloading stand and it works well. for my 308 relaoding stuff, plus it fits in the closet very well. very compact plus it is cheap.

I like them when I boresight scopes and ensure that the vertical reticle is vertical. I have used them for reloading but you will have to mount the press in something that will be at the correct working height.

I know a guy who checkered several stocks using a workmate exclusively. They are very handy.

Thats what I decided to use as well, because I also live in an apartment. I picked up a 1" thick Maple tool cart top from Sears and bolted it to the workmate. I mounted my RCBS single stage press on it and it works great, its really stable and folds up if I need it to.
Here is a pic before I got it all set up:
DSC00683.jpg

Wife could not find the B&D so she got me a Craftsman.

Bama, That is what I am thinking too.

Handy, never thought of two table tops, I like that idea.

Will kick around what she got me and see what I come up with.

Thanks everyone!

Find a space and let the wife know she will have to compramise. We had the same issue in our place up north so Panty 6 'compramised' as in I put my stuff where it was out of her way and she kept her mouth shut.
Now, I got a nice big garage, but no benches or anything to put stuff on because the house needs 'all the money'. I'm fine with that because when it's time to redo my garage, it's gonna get all the attention it needs as well as 'all the money' until it's finished.
Two benches(one mechanic's, one reloading), Storage Shelves on one side, light grey floor, white walls, and red stripes circa 1950's Route 66 Garage on the botom and top edges. The compramise? I am busting my ass and spending 'all the money' on the yard, interior, and transforming this place into what we want it to be before I get my garage

I use one of these also, I mounted my press to a 10" wide piece of wood that is 3/4" thick, this way I can insert the press already mounted into the middle of the workmate, tighten it up and everything is ready to go, I use the press from the side of the bench, my RCBS powder thrower is also mounted on the same board in the middle, works great and can be broken down anytime to move it or take it with me, can send a photo if need one, advise at [email protected], good luck,

Hi sinclair has a portable mount for a press to sit on and that can be used on any bench or table i mabe a box that a press sits on and my powder thrower is on the rear i take this around the country when i have to reload at long comps and dont have anough cases for that particular shoot.

I will take a pic if you like i also have another rock chucker mounted to a sturdy table for large cases like chey tac but the forster coax this way will do l338 lapua cases without to much movement just place a towel under it.

If you PM me your email i will send the pic.

Mine has served me well. I added an oversized top to increase my storage and work space.

reloading4-406x600.jpg