• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Black Hills 308 Ammo

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
Does anyone know what bullet in the 175 grain factory match Black Hills Ammo is using. Sierra, Hornady, etc?
Thanks

Re: Black Hills 308 Ammo

I always assumed (and I should be careful when I do that) that it's a SMK. I have shot a case or two of the stuff, and my 10FP likes it some much I'm tailoring my hand loads around their specs (reverse engineering). I'm rambling...to answer your question, I believe it's a 175gr. Sierra MK. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.

Does anyone know what kind of powder they are using and how much they put behind their 175?

dagger:

Glad you started this thread. I've done everything I can to copy the Black Hills round and never get as good results. Using 42.5 to 44 grains of Varget on SMKs. The OAL on the Black Hills rounds I have are 2.787. I always get low ES and single digit SD. I do have a question though. Last weekend I shot a group of Black Hills and the average was 2,776. The temp. was about 55. Today I shot a group and it averaged 2,619. The temp was 60 degrees. Would humidity have changed this. The ammo was from the same case too. Sorry to hijack your thread.

The big ammo manufacturers don't always use commercial powder. Often they use proprietary blends.

I'm working on duplicating their load now. I'm using RL15 and my initial results are positive. My 10FP likes 43 grains and change yielding 2660 fps. I'm seating 2.196 (measured at the ogive) based on their ammo. Their stuff is dead nuts at 2650 cold bore in my gun. Dogtown's post is correct, we more than likely do not have access to the powder they are using. I have heard it is Talc, but I'm not sure. I'm new to rifle reloading, so I'm just trying to duplicate their load, as my gun loves it.

ashland;
don't know what kind of chrono you have, but the ones I can afford are just not that consistent. I often take my logbook data and back calculate based on known distance elevation and atmosphere conditions.
I did borrow a very high end chrono for some initial testing & verification. I have about 20 rounds chronographed out of the last 1200 fired.
With RE15 and 178 Amax I get very close to your 2775 using LC brass; When using Winchester brass it is closer to 2760.
I am much more interested in the verticle spread at 600 yds than the ES or SD calculated from chrono data. I should note the verticle spread at 600 yds using the LC brass is just half of the spread using Winchester brass. (26 inch factory Savage - data shot at 50 degrees in a tunnel at 5000 ft elev.)

Kabong:

I have an inexpensive Chrony. I really use it to give me an idea of velocity. I don't spend much time shooting over it. Just can't figure out how 5 degrees difference in temp can change the velocity of ammo from the same box by about 150 fps. Think I'll email Black Hills.

No email address for Black Hills. Maybe someone here can explain the change in velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dagger:

Glad you started this thread. I've done everything I can to copy the Black Hills round and never get as good results. Using 42.5 to 44 grains of Varget on SMKs. The OAL on the Black Hills rounds I have are 2.787. I always get low ES and single digit SD. I do have a question though. Last weekend I shot a group of Black Hills and the average was 2,776. The temp. was about 55. Today I shot a group and it averaged 2,619. The temp was 60 degrees. Would humidity have changed this. The ammo was from the same case too. Sorry to hijack your thread. </div></div>
I believe the theory is that the more humid it is the quicker the bullet travels because the density of the water molecules is less than normal air molecules. Less resistance.

Several years ago I was able to obtain the loading data for the M118LR load. 42.8 Gns. Reloader 15, 175 Gn. SMK, 2.800 OAL, Standard LR primer, LC brass 2.005 trim.

My weapon Rem 700P-.308, Long throat .149 jump. Does not like Blackhills 168 or 175.

I have been using Lapua brass neck sized, CCI-200 primers, and load has ended up at 43 Gns, R-15, 2.802 OAL 2.085 Ogive, 2654 FPS +/- 4 FPS Good results so far.

Start with the manual and build from there, watch for pressure signs.