• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Hills 308 match Brass

308saiga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
South Florida
Can someone please tell me if the BHM (red box) brass has a red die around the primer? TIA

Added:
I forgot to add has anyone reloaded with these? Are they any good? Thanks again

Re: Black Hills 308 match Brass

I'm pretty sure it did when it was new. I am on my 10th loading of these so it pretty much has worn off. I find the BH (Winchester) brass to be very good. Also the primers were crimped on these, I used a Dillion Super Swage on them and fixed them right up.

Great thanks guys, I was curious because the person stated that these where once fired yet the sizes where 2.005, 2.003 and so forth, they are not bad on size, it is just that, usually, factory loaded brass comes to 2.015... I am weary of Winchester brass lately I have read bad things about them being cracked at the neck or some other issue....

It seems like none of the manufactures care anymore about quality.

Thanks again,....

dude worry not... I got some of my BHA Match brass going on 10 firings... Primer pockets good, no neck splits or case head separations yet...

I neck size & run them through a body set up to give it a bump if needed (for consistency throughout the lot)...

I run my loads pretty warm (some would say hot) and have never had a worry with BHA Match or Winchester brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude worry not... I got some of my BHA Match brass going on 10 firings... Primer pockets good, no neck splits or case head separations yet...

I neck size <span style="font-weight: bold">& run them through a body set up to give it a bump if needed </span>(for consistency throughout the lot)...

I run my loads pretty warm (some would say hot) and have never had a worry with BHA Match or Winchester brass. </div></div>

You lost me here, can you explain? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I neck size <span style="font-weight: bold">& run them through a body set up to give it a bump if needed </span>(for consistency throughout the lot)...</div></div>

You lost me here, can you explain? Thanks

</div></div>

I believe a "body set up" is a full-length sizing die, set up such that it "bumps" the shoulder back just a few thousandths to promote easy chambering of the cartridge while keeping the work-hardening of the brass to a minimum. Neck sizing only cinches down the outer diameter of neck against a mandrel, leaving the fire-formed body untouched. This is sufficient if you are going to shoot the rounds through the same gun, but even then, the bodies of the neck-sized cases swell slightly with each firing, and you eventually get sticky chambering and extraction. Then it's time to "bump" the shoulder, am I right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmykan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I believe a "body set up" is a full-length sizing die, set up such that it "bumps" the shoulder back just a few thousandths to promote easy chambering of the cartridge while keeping the work-hardening of the brass to a minimum. Neck sizing only cinches down the outer diameter of neck against a mandrel, leaving the fire-formed body untouched. This is sufficient if you are going to shoot the rounds through the same gun, but even then, the bodies of the neck-sized cases swell slightly with each firing, and you eventually get sticky chambering and extraction. Then it's time to "bump" the shoulder, am I right? </div></div>

OK so is this a different die that I need to purchase? If so could you post a link to it?

Thanks again

Added:

I should have known what a full length die is, I use one to reload dohh... I was confused on the wording.

Know I saw that there are 2 types of re-sizers, I use the full length die, the other I found is a collet neck sizing die... I had some real nice GGG brass and tossed them because they would not chamber, now I am wondering is if I had the collet die it would have fixed this issue because the only thing my buddy & I could think of wrong with these was that the shoulder was not to the correct specs. We measured everything except the shoulder....

If I am wrong please correct me.... Thanks....

I think... that you could do everything you needed to with a redding "s" die. I use a full-length sizer with a bushing in to get the correct neck tension.

I just prepped a bunch of this BHA match stuff tonight, its great brass. I use winchester brass normally and have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308 Saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had some real nice GGG brass and tossed them because they would not chamber </div></div>

WHAT WHAT WHAT???
shocked.gif

I'm on my 7th firing and of 750 rds only one split from FL resizing - this is great brass.

The red primer sealer was gone by the 3rd tumbling.
Use it as an indicator of 1st,2nd reload.

After that I went to colored lines across the bottom (Colored sharpee) - when shooting highpower anyway...now they are all in the same bin..

My buddy that still shoots highpower and palma looked at them and said "Keep shooting them"....he's da man on reloading..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308 Saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had some real nice GGG brass and tossed them because they would not chamber </div></div>

WHAT WHAT WHAT???
shocked.gif

</div></div>

I was very sad
cry.gif
...... This is why I am asking if I could have fixed them not to do it again....