• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Black Hills 68gr match in 20" 1:9 barrel

rmmcwhirter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mississippi
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this ammo? I have a rem sps 223 tactical with a 1:9 twist that i'm having a hard time finding a factory load for. Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Re: Black Hills 68gr match in 20" 1:9 barrel

Give it a try. I have had great results with Black Hills ammo. I have (and continue to)use it in my .223 gas gun and my .308 bolt gun. The 1:9 twist should have no problem with the 68 grainers. I'm not sure what or whose bullet they are using in the that load. I wouldn't hesitate to try their 69 grain match load, as I believe they are using SMK's in that load. Just my opinion, I'm wrong a lot.

I have the same gun as you and with the BH Red box 69gr SMK I'm getting 5 shot groups right around 1 MOA at 100 and 200 yds.

Actually, I've had better luck with the blue box BH 60gr VMAX. Usually groups slightly better than the BH 69gr SMK out to 200 yds. I've shot 2-five shot groups with the 60gr VMAX at 400 yds to get my drop figured out and both groups were under 4.5". I figured that wasn't too bad considering a factory gun and re-manufactured ammo.

I would try a few boxes of several types of BH ammo to see what your gun likes best. What type of shooting are you wanting to do with your rifle?

I'm new, just getting started in competition shooting so 500 yds will be my absolute max right now. Probably more like 300. I have plenty of experience hunting 100 to 200 yds but quickly found out that shooting on paper is a whole new ball game. I bought this rifle as an entry level stick just to get my feet wet and learn the basics. Thanks for the info sounds like you've had pretty good luck with this ammo.

My SPS did not care for 68 grain bullets.
69 grain bullets are another story.

Weird, Huh?

I was having good luck with the Winchester 69 grain ranger match.

I started off with 69gr FGMM through my SPS to establish what kind of accuracy I could expect out of the rifle before I started handloading for it.

The FGMM stuff ran right at MOA, so I figured that I had a solid MOA rifle, which isn't too bad. First time to the range with handloads to try some load development netted me a .433" with 68gr Hornadys at 100yds.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that each rifle shoots factory ammo differently and you might as well give all of them a try if you can't handload for your rifle.

Good luck!

My Bushmaster Varminter 24" 1:9 twist likes the 68gr Black Hills stuff. Took it out to about 350 yards. Can easily keep it at about a 3 inch group,somtimes less depending on the wind and how im shooting that day!

Note: Def. shot just as well at 200 yards compared to 100 yards!! Held about 1" at 200 and about .75" at 100! From what I hear the Ultramax reman. stuff isnt exactly on par with BH but close (shot some ultramax 50gr noslers today that shot fairly well!)