• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

black hills brass problem have question

landtech308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2010
clay county kentucky
just got done resing and priming some black hills match once fired brass.when i started priming i found that a few of the brass have and indeted ring around the primer pocket and will not accept a new primer to make sure wasn't something i done i checked some fired brass i hadn't cleaned yet only thing done to them was deprimed with rcbs depriming die. found a few in those too only 7 out of the hundred i worked were fouled up. have you guys seeen this before, a flaw from the factory or did i do something im not aware of. thax for any help and advice

Re: black hills brass problem have question

I remove or I should say run each case through my primitive crimp remover(deburring tool) I've found that even in the same box to have a mix of crimped/uncrimped primers on the BH's
Same thing, you would be priming and have to stop to take apart the priming tool to get a stuck primer out. I called BH and inquired about that and as we know it's Winchester brass and they are aware of the problems like this.

I just got done doing 800 which are loaded now, so I'm good for a bit. I just got 1K more though
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like the primer pockets were crimped on some of the cases. </div></div>

Agreed!

You have two choices, buy more equiptment (primer crmp swager) or use an exacto knife (or equivalent) to cut out the crimp.

thx for the help guys so does new factory winchester brass have this problem or is this just from extensive military use from black hills why some of these crimped primers turn up

If you are reloading Black Hills Remanufactured they have been decrimped but depending on the primers may still be "snug". If I remember right they cut (ream) the crimp but it has been a while since I've used their remanufactured ammo. I am not sure which lines they crimp other than what goes to the military.

New factory Winchester brass will not be crimped as the crimp is applied when it is primed.

Sounds like Black Hills maybe playing games with their "match" ammunition. If they are aware of the problem why havn"t they done something about it.

looks like they would fix the problem but i can't complain too bad 10 out of 200 brass and the stuff shot great

If I were to make a guess I'd say that they had a few crimped cases left from the last batch or cut over to match from milspec. I'm think their 77 SMK match load and M262 are the same except for the crimp. The last time I shot the remanufactured with 77's it shot to the same zero as the Navy match ammo which was a fore runner of the M262 load. The only BHA I shoot any more is issued every couple of years for Navy matches. My hand load is a little slower.