• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Hills TMK identification?

Chicory01

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2017
Hi, I recently purchased what I was told is Black Hills 77gr TMK. However, a couple of things seem off.

1) The brass is Lake City and not WCC. Has BH ever used LC brass for their 77gr TMK loads?

2) The bullet doesn't seem much longer than my factory Barnes 70gr TSX rounds. Shouldn't the 77gr TMK be a little longer?

Anyone have an idea on if this is real BH 77GR TMK?

I've attached some pictures below.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 20221029_115412.jpg
    20221029_115412.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20221029_115312.jpg
    20221029_115312.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20221029_115643.jpg
    20221029_115643.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20221029_115651.jpg
    20221029_115651.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221029_115614.jpg
    20221029_115614.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 109
In the past I purchased a bunch of Black hills remanufactured ammo with LC brass

Love it , conspiracy killed before it got momentum . Thank you Forrest84 .

Bullet too short ? X-Ray vision ?

Black Hills 5.56mm 77 Grain Tipped MatchKing Ammunition

black_hills_box_01_resized_with_77_tippe-1336385.jpg

The Black Hills 5.56mm 77 grain Tipped MatchKing ammunition is loaded with the same Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing projectile that is available as a reloading component (#7177), with the addition of a cannelure. The Black Hills ammunition was actually brought to market before the reloading component was.

77_tipped_matchkings_box_02_resized_-1336380.jpg

The 77 grain Tipped MatchKing is the longest bullet (that I’m aware of) that is currently being loaded by a major manufacturer to magazine length for the 5.56mm cartridge.

long_bullets_15_b_resized-1336625.jpg

With a nominal length of 1.070”, the 77 grain Tipped MatchKing is 0.335” longer than a 55 grain FMJ bullet and 0.085” longer than the standard Sierra 77 grain MatchKing.

77_tipped_matchking_comparison_bullets_0-1336379.jpg

Not only is the bullet itself long, but the ogive section of the 77 grain Tipped MatchKing is also extremely long for a bullet loaded to magazine length in the 5.56mm cartridge; so much so, that the grooves of the cannelure extend into the ogive of the bullet, as evidenced by the “arrow head” shaped cannelure grooves.

77_grain_tipped_matchking_02-1336376.jpg

77_tipped_matchking_cannelure_grooves_01-1336378.jpg

77_grain_tipped_matchking_on_granite_blo-1336377.jpg

The Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKing ammunition examined for this article is loaded in 5.56mm WCC brass that has the annealing iris still visible. The primer pockets are crimped and sealed. The case-mouth is crimped but has no sealant. The load is charged with “ball powder.”

black_hills_77_tmk_cartridge_02_resized-1336383.jpg

black_hills_77_tmk_powder_resized_b-1336624.jpg

Velocity

I chronographed the Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKing ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel with a 1:7” twist.

Colt_20_inch_A2_barrel_02_border-1336386.jpg

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then utilizes its onboard computer to analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings. If there is a statistically significant difference in the readings, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid. There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocities stated below are the muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

oehler_chronograph_32-1336391.jpg

oehler_computer_02-1336390.jpg

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release. Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

kestrel_4000_21-1336387.jpg

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature: 72 degrees F
Humidity: 44%
Barometric pressure: 29.64 inches of Hg
Elevation: 950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKing ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 2808 FPS with a standard deviation of 14 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.50%.

For those of you who might not be familiar with the coefficient of variation (CV), it is the standard deviation, divided by the mean (average) muzzle velocity and then multiplied by 100 and expressed as a percentage. It allows for the comparison of the uniformity of velocity between loads in different velocity spectrums; e.g. 77 grain loads running around 2,650 fps compared to 55 grain loads running around 3,250 fps.

For comparison, the mil-spec for M193 allows for a coefficient of variation of approximately 1.2%, while one of my best 77 grain OTM hand-loads, with a muzzle velocity of 2639 PFS and a standard deviation of 4 FPS, has a coefficient of variation of 0.15%

stnadard_deviation_of_4_fps_01-1336393.jpg

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKing ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25x magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the top of the free-float hand-guard. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

benchrest_krieger_rifle_02_JPG-1287996-1336381.jpg

The Wind Probe.

wind_probe_25_resized-1336395.jpg

The test vehicle for this accuracy evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar-Walther barrel. The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1.8” twist. Prior to firing the Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKing, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing (without a canelure). That group had an extreme spread of 0.68”.

lothar_walther_barrel_21_resized-1336364.jpg

lothar_barrel_crown_02_resized-1297385-1336365.jpg

lothar_walther_barrel_free_floated_05-12-1336366.jpg

The control group . . .

sierra77_grain__tipped_mk_handload_02b_r-1336392.jpg

Three 10-shot groups of the Black Hills 77 grain Tipped MatchKings ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.26”
1.14”
1.37”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.26”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.41”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

black_hills_556mm_77_TMK_measured_10_sho-1336384.jpg

The 30-shot composite group . . .

black_hills_77_tmk_30_shot_composite_gro-1336382.jpg

MK262 Comparison

The table below compares the test results from this article to my previously obtained test data for Black Hills MK262 Mod 1 ammunition, which is loaded with the standard Sierra 77 grain MatchKing (with a cannelure.)

mk262_vs_77_tipped_matchking_table_02_re-1336389.jpg

A.E.S = average extreme spread for three 10-shot groups at 100 yards

M.R. = mean radius for the 30-shot composite group

M.V. = muzzle velocity

S.D. = standard deviation of muzzle velocity

C.V. = coefficient of variation of muzzle velocity

Love it , conspiracy killed before it got momentum . Thank you Forrest84 .

Bullet too short ? X-Ray vision ?

Yes. Side by side, the green tipped ammo is shorter than the Barnes 70gr TSX.

From what I'm reading, the TSX should be shorter than the TMK

My one contribution for the year lol. I should take it out and re test it on the wifes 223 teka. i tested it out on my KAC LPR years ago when i first got it but cannot remember how it ran. My ammo is factory new by the way

The COAL of any loaded round can very and comparing one loaded round to a different round is not going to reveal much. The BH and Barnes rounds should not exceed 2.260" COAL. Black Hills has used various brass in the past, including Winchester and Winchester(?) Branded BHA. The picture shows a staked primer crimp which would lead me to believe this was intended to be mil-spec ammunition at some point. I can't tell if the primer has sealant or not. You can pull a bullet and see if it has sealant. BH has produced rounds for the military under contract and this could be rounds that are surplus from a military contract or test ammunition that was unused. It could also be from a lot that failed the military's performance specifications. The only way to know for sure is if you call BH and inquire. Without a Lot number they may be reluctant to provide any information.

If you purchased this ammunition without the original packaging you are at the mercy of the seller to be supplying what he claims. Regardless you will not know the lot number of the ammunition and have no way of tracking it should there be a recall.

This ammunition should be considered to be 5.56x45 and not 223 Remington.

Last edited:
Hi, I recently purchased what I was told is Black Hills 77gr TMK. However, a couple of things seem off.

1) The brass is Lake City and not WCC. Has BH ever used LC brass for their 77gr TMK loads?

2) The bullet doesn't seem much longer than my factory Barnes 70gr TSX rounds. Shouldn't the 77gr TMK be a little longer?

Thanks for your input!
Looks legit.

The Factory New Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK I bought in, I think, 2019, uses crimped Lake City 18 brass, just like yours.

Cartridge overall length is 56.9 mm

It is difficult to tell the bullet’s overall length by looking at it already in the brass. The longer bullets are going to be limited to magazine length unless you’re loading them yourself.
6C21C34B-493A-4962-8006-FB2CD613A061.jpeg

B2916483-3091-4238-A26F-F968C12A598E.jpeg

99539BE8-C167-49CA-AB1B-3D5CA3BE9641.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicory01

Thanks for your input!

You could call BHA and give them the lot number.

Thanks for your input!
Yes they are real. BH has been using LC Brass now for many years. The staking and sealant checkout with the 77 TMKs I have.

Yes, yes it does. The OP did not mention anything about factory new or remanufactured.

Hey Einstein, Black Hills has only ever sold the 77 grain TMK in factory new ammunition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haney
Hey Einstein, Black Hills has only ever sold the 77 grain TMK in factory new ammunition.

Thank you for the name calling. Professional as always. Perhaps you should have led with that before pasting your extremely long post with mostly equally irrelevant information to the OP’s question.

Still, I don’t see someone sharing the brass BH uses in remanufactured ammo as being completely useless. Show me an instance where BH uses a brand of brass in their remanufactured ammo that they don’t use in factory new ammo. Then I’ll agree that BH remanufactured brass brand has little contribution to the OP’s question.

Reactions: Chicory01