• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Hills 5.56 50gr. TSX Vs 77gr TMK

I have no personal experience, but if you can find some 70 grain Barnes TSX, I’d go with that. Did a Q&A with John McPhee, I asked him what bullet worked best over seas, he said the TSX out of an SBR was his go to and worked great. I picked up 500 rounds of 75 gr Gold Dots when PSA had them for $10.99 a box.
Holy Mackerel! :)

As someone in their 6th decade, I do understand

Keith

Reactions: Chicory01
Are you autistic? We've established that the info is relative to certain people's needs. We've also established that reposting the entire thread of these tests is obnoxious, unnecessary and overall pointless to most people's questions about a bullet. It's AI bot behavior and it's beyond stale.

Let me know if you need this broken down further from a 6th grade level to a 3rd grade level.
One simple rule I try to abide by but sometimes fail, is don't post condescending statements that you would never say if the person was standing in front of you. Internet bravado much?

I have several 500rd cases of both BH 50gr TSX and BH 77gr TMK. Trying to decide which one goes in my 8-inch AR (car gun) and 10.5" BRN-180 (truck gun). The range from an 8-inch barrel for the 50gr is limited due to the 2300fps min. expansion velocity. Doc Roberts photo's showing the 50gr performance from short and standard barrels is impressive. But the 77gr wound channel is even more impressive, and it allows more range with shorter barrels, but lacks the barrier performance. IMO, wound channels from most barrier rounds aren't that spectacular anyway after passing through car glass or car doors. Decisions, decisions...

What would be great would be if the 77 and 50gr had similar POI's out of the same gun at 50 yards. Then I could just stagger them in the mag. Out of my Geissele URG-I upper (14.5"), the 77gr TMK is actually within 1-inch POI of Federal XM193 at combat zero, which is very convenient since I can leave it sighted in for the 77 TMK and practice with XM193.

Reactions: PappyM3
I have several 500rd cases of both BH 50gr TSX and BH 77gr TMK. Trying to decide which one goes in my 8-inch AR (car gun) and 10.5" BRN-180 (truck gun). The range from an 8-inch barrel for the 50gr is limited due to the 2300fps min. expansion velocity. Doc Roberts photo's showing the 50gr performance from short and standard barrels is impressive. But the 77gr wound channel is even more impressive, and it allows more range with shorter barrels, but lacks the barrier performance. IMO, wound channels from most barrier rounds aren't that spectacular anyway after passing through car glass or car doors. Decisions, decisions...

What would be great would be if the 77 and 50gr had similar POI's out of the same gun at 50 yards. Then I could just stagger them in the mag. Out of my Geissele URG-I upper (14.5"), the 77gr TMK is actually within 1-inch POI of Federal XM193 at combat zero, which is very convenient since I can leave it sighted in for the 77 TMK and practice with XM193.
Out of "my" 11.85" PWS on a 40° day, BHA 77OTM & BHA 50TSX groups were contained in 2" target dots @ 100yds. The groups were fired back-to-back without any scope adjustments. I'm not sure what level of precision that you require. I plan to do testing past 100yds as well and will try to post the results here. Have you tried both rounds yourself?

Keith

Reactions: Evolution 9
Out of "my" 11.85" PWS on a 40° day, BHA 77OTM & BHA 50TSX groups were contained in 2" target dots @ 100yds. The groups were fired back-to-back without any scope adjustments. I'm not sure what level of precision that you require. I plan to do testing past 100yds as well and will try to post the results here. Have you tried both rounds yourself?

Keith
I have the URG-I build sighted in with 77TMK , but have not shot the TSX yet. Life is busy but will try to get to the range in the next few weeks. The effective range limit of the TSX due to min. exp velocity means that the 2" deviation would be absolutely acceptable at the 100 yards the round most likely would perform at from the 8-inch.