• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BlackDiamond Rifles, looking for info

Re: BlackDiamond Rifles, looking for info

No direct experience with Dave but know lots of people that have and on that note I would not have a problem having him build a rifle for me.

My first suggestion to you in regards to 375 build is to pick your intended projectile (start buying them now lol) and spec the build around that bullet.

May I ask what weight you trying to stay under?

Thanks

I want to shoot the 408gr Vikings, trying to get to 3k accurately.
I want something that I can use in local 1k matches that wont overheat in a 5rd string.

As for the price, it is what it is, but would like to keep it under $10K.

I was looking at a windrunner from EDM, but they are too heavy. I want something that I can still pack. With that in mind titanium actions and carbon wrapped barrels seem right up my alley. My only concern would be the effectiveness of the muzzle break on a ultralight rifle.

Dave Viers built my .375 CheyTac on a Lawton 8000 Action, 11.5:1 Twist Lawton barrel, and Manners T-4A stock (I also have a McRee stock for it). I was pleased with his work, and have recommended him to others in the past.

He has made his own titanium actions in the past, but you will have to check with him if he is currently doing so.

FWIW, mine weighs in at about 17# with a NF 5.5-22X56 sitting on top. The Lawton brake works reasonably well, but I have a somewhat more efficient, albiet heavier brake for it now.

As Later mentioned, there has been some significant work on new .375 projectiles recently, so you may want to explore your options there before deciding on your final configurations.

Dave Viers is an A1 Person and his rifles are excellent myself and friends had them built from him and we are wrapt. All on Lawton 8000 actions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to shoot the 408gr Vikings, </div></div>
You are referring to the LM19 from Lutz right? I think thats the number anyways lol.
Do you know what rifling profile (twist, lands and groove configuration) it takes for that bullet and is a barrel maker willing to make it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> trying to get to 3k accurately. </div></div>

Depends on what you calling accurately but that heavier bullet is not gonna make it. You just can't get the MV needed to equate to that bullet being better than the 350gr solids at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want something that I can use in local 1k matches that wont overheat in a 5rd string. </div></div>

Not sure what matches you referring to but if its for groups then there are way way more accurate calibers for that 1K distance. The benefits of the 375 begin to come into play at 1500+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the price, it is what it is, but would like to keep it under $10K.</div></div>

You should be well under that price for rifle alone though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was looking at a windrunner from EDM,</div></div>

No point of looking at EDM Arms for this rifle due to they do not make a 375 version. You would have to go to Cheytac themselves to get that caliber in the take down rifle similar to EDM Arms.