• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Blackhawk molle bag sniper rifle rest (Bag set up)

ltpurcy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
United Kingdom Dorset
Hi guys been looking at the Blackhawk! molle sniper rifle rest that attaches onto a backpack that has rows of molle onto it, i was thinking about doing a bag set up for running and gunning for when im not being all sneaky.

What are your views on the product and the idea it self.

only problem i can see is the fact that all the pictures ive seen the bags are nice and plump how do they do this.

This does mean no bipod

Re: Blackhawk molle bag sniper rifle rest (Bag set up)

I can't see how a bag would be needed for "running and gunning". Just sling up and rock and roll. I don't think I would really want to mess with running with a ruck and all the taking off and putting on.

Yet another reason I like the bipod.
wink.gif

Running and gunning but its a slower pace when you get to your FP you have plenty of time to set up then you have a limited amount of time to get to the next FP etc.

All that still keeps your heart rate up, working under stress etc.

I have not used one, so I can't comment on the product itself.

I have heard of guys who do use them putting air bladders in their bag to keep them plump without adding weight.

When I used to shoot from a Mountain Ruck I generally had at least a weeks worth of crap in it, so "plump" was not an issue. You just had to make sure the hard stuff wasn't under the forend of the rifle.

Honestly, what I would do if I was "running and gunning" like you describe, is to get an ALICE ruck and put some foam across the top bar area of the frame. Also install a 6-9 bipod on the rifle. This way if you need to get real low, you can use the bipod. If you need more height due to vegetation or terrain, then you can sit the ruck up and use the frame as support. If you need to go higher then that, a tripod is in order.

If you have plenty of time to setup your FFP, then a tripod is the way to go. The cheap one I currently use takes a few minutes to setup, but then I can keep the rifle in position for hours without fatigue.

Cheers for the tips mate very helpful

I can see where your coming from i just feel its easier having a pre set area to stick your rifle on instead of carrying tripod sticks if you know what i mean, the area in use is completely open and no vegetation will be in the way.

I guess ill just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

skinney has one in coyote tan on his blackhawk pack, I dont know that he has ever actually used it as all his set ups have bipods.
seems like a good idea, but if you have a bipod, it isnt necessary.

oh, and the bags are nice and plump cause they are full of gear. either that or they have been plumped for marketing pictures

I have one of the STRIKE rifle rests so I'll give some input on what I've found.

Full pack or not, the STRIKE rest can be utilized. However, an empty bag is tougher to shoot from and you won't be able to use the support channel, you'll be stuck top-shooting on it.
Top-shooting means more exposure of the shooter.

A bipod will not interfere with its use, provided you top-shoot. You will have a little difficluty negotiating the support channel with a bipod...it can be done, but it puts a bit more of the rifle forward than you might like.

Word of advice: Make sure you install the speed clips in a manner so that the holes will face the top of your pack. You MUST use something to tie those to your pack and I'd suggest a retention line to one of the molle straps on the rest as well.

If those clips come out somehow, and they could, you'll be ticked to see your rest gone or a molle strap popped.

ive got one i just bought from another hide member and it works great for me so far

Thanks a bunch hide or die very useful

how many rows of molle does it take up?

Also while we are at it, whats a good back pack to use for a several day expedition as well as use for this?

it doesnt take up a whole loota room, and another hide member suggested a pack from cheaper than dirt .com, ill be ordering mine with in a nother couple of weeks along with a tab gear sling

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see how a bag would be needed for "running and gunning". Just sling up and rock and roll. I don't think I would really want to mess with running with a ruck and all the taking off and putting on.

Yet another reason I like the bipod.
wink.gif
</div></div>

good advice. how about trying that new TAB biathlon sling ? there is a thread about it.seems pretty good for "running and gunning"

I have not tried it yet.

If there was any climbing or rope work/water crossing, then I think it would be a great idea. However I think that carrying a rifle against your back while actually running would become VERY uncomfortable VERY quickly. You have to remember that Biathlon slings are for Skiing. Cross country skiing is a "gliding" motion, not an impact motion. I have done quite a bit of skiing with a slung weapon. It's not a problem. I DO NOT like to run with a slung weapon. It's never worked well for me. I prefer to keep my rifle in my hands when running. I know this is not that guys with a 19lb rifle want to hear, but that weight slapping you in the spine for a couple miles is probably going to jack you up. You can never tighten up a ruck enough that it doesn't bounce a little.

Indeed thanks a lot guys

need a 3 day pack so i will get this from warrior assault system
and mount the system.

3DayMint300.jpg