• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors blackhawk serpa

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Can somebody point me in the direction of a good deal on the carbon fiber CQC serpa holster? Several of my fellow officers and I are going to start using them for off duty carry...

Re: blackhawk serpa

i may be the first to say this, but i probably wont be the last. run away... run away

i have seen enough serpa's fail to not trust one for even concealed carry. not to mention the ND hazard of using your trigger finger to unlock the weapon

Try www.midwayusa.com They have sales on serpa sometimes. You know the carbon fiber is just a sticker right? Just get the polymer black with out the carbon fiber stickers and save $8+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have seen enough serpa's fail to not trust one for even concealed carry. not to mention the ND hazard of using your trigger finger to unlock the weapon </div></div>

ive yet to pull a trigger with a straight finger, but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RX7-2nr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have seen enough serpa's fail to not trust one for even concealed carry. not to mention the ND hazard of using your trigger finger to unlock the weapon </div></div>

ive yet to pull a trigger with a straight finger, but thats just me. </div></div>

same here

Yeah that holster puts your finger right where it should be. Personally I like them.

Had one for about 30 minutes. Poor build quality, poor retention adjustability, and harsh on the finish even after the few times I holstered/unholstered gun.

BULL!!!

The SERPA is a good holster, it puts your finger where it belongs straight and off the trigger in the draw stroke. I have two one for my G23 and another for my 1911 and I love them both. If you do not put your finger on the the trigger it will not discharge, it holds the handgun very secure and from what I have experienced it is built well and will hold up for quit a while.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yes I kow that the "carbon fiber" is just a sticker. But my agency restricts us to the carbon fiber model...

mine also failed in less than a week, the spring for the retention lock slipped sidways and thus the holster no longer locked the pistol in. I went with a Tactical Tailor and never looked back.

There was a recall on one of the Serpa S&W M&P model holsters but the folks over there were great about swapping mine out, even the one I modified for my compact .40! With a Chop Saw!!!

They seem like people who would appreciate hearing any complaints rather than have people be dissatisfied and feel endangered by their products. If you haven't already done so you should let them know.

I like them and their mag carriers though they are a PITA to remove from the belt when taking them out of use! This of course means it won't likely bobble off accidently.

I like'em.
They seem to be the snuggest to the body of the under $50 poly holsters. BH actually has good CS on these if you need anything. Lots of XD CQC holster's had too small springy thingy (by the duscover) and they rattled in the holsters. BH will ship you a better thingy free of charge.
That being said, I have a non-SERPA for my 1911 I shoot steel with (for now), and the dang CQC actually snugs the gun too tight to me for comp carry.....
The belt/paddle model is worth the extra couple bucks over the "sporter" version that doesn't do both attatchments. The paddle really stays put. Hell, there's a cop that put a video on youtube to show folks the only easy way he found to remove it!

I have three drop leg Serpa's. A 1911,Sig 226, M&P 45. No trouble with any.I use them in a run & gun game year round and in snow and ice. Also the game requires lots of transitioning between rifle & pistol.

They're not the only game in town lots of guys run the 6004's, great kit too,but my first was a serpa and the rest follwed suit to keep things consistant, I'm a nerd like that.

As soon as BH comes out with a Serpa that will take a 1911 w/ light I'll be a convert. I think that it is just as secure as the SL 6004 and faster. I have to slightly adjust my grip to ensure I rotate the hood on the 6004 completely out of the way without the beavertail getting in the way. the Serpa doesn't have that problem.

I use a Serpa as my plainclothes detective position everyday. I love the thing. Reasonable price (Yes, I carry them) good retention with an easy draw, and it is a BITCH to get the holster off your pants without disrobing first! (This is a good thing) I really believe that some people may have heard an internet commando make some kind of comment about the trigger finger causing some safety issue on the draw, but I have never experience it. My trigger finger is right where is supposed to be when drawing my weapon. I'm gonna get these listed on my website this weekend while I'm thinking about it. Good kit, IMHO.

Donnie

I have two of them and find them fast and secure. No safety issues. Not my choice for concealed carry though, still to much bulk to hide.

I have a Serpa for my 1911 I use for informal IPSC and love it.

I use Serpas at work with the Glock 17 and they are great. They are issued to VIP protection squads and the Auckland Airport guys have been trialing the duty type with the extra lock thingy (I haven't had a really close look at one).

I would be very happy to use one for plain clothes work.

I have to admit though I prefer the Safariland 070 for a duty holster. Very secure but a fast draw when practiced with a few times. (And it looks like leather).

Sniff

I have one for my Glock and one for my 5.7 No failures and I like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpdsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I really believe that some people may have heard an internet commando make some kind of comment about the trigger finger causing some safety issue on the draw, but I have never experience it. My trigger finger is right where is supposed to be when drawing my weapon. </div></div>

This happened to a friend of mine, a guy who is fairly proficient and safety conscious. The Serpa holster wasn't the only cause of the ND, but it was a link in the chain. The first problem was that he was left handed and shooting a brand new 1911 that he had not yet put an ambi safety on. He was having a problem getting the safety off during single handed drills, and had started clicking the safety off at the beginning of the drawstroke. Strike one, and a major contributor to the ND. As the gun was just clearing the holster, it shifted slightly in his hand: strike two. He was trying to get a full firing grip before starting the draw like always, but it shifted. He said it wasn't getting away from him, just a little movement, but enough to make his fingers instinctively tighten. With a normal holster this would have been no problem, as the trigger finger would have been straight and doing nothing, and the other three fingers would have tightened around the gun. Since it was a Serpa, though, the trigger finger was slightly curled and was actively participating in the draw, so when the other fingers tightened up, the trigger finger did as well, into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. Strike three, and a round went through the holster into the ground behind his foot.

The Serpa didn't cause the accident, but it did contribute. Had he been shooting a standard holster, it would have been a non-event; however, had he had the proper safety, not been releasing the safety at the wrong time, gotten a better grip before beginning to draw the weapon, or had more training with the Serpa holster, it would have also broken the chain that led to the AD. He's still using the holster, but has dedicated training time to using it safely.

I have a carbon fiber serpa with the finger retention and I like it so-far. no failures so far. Love the belt retention extremely well. You do have to retrain your hand to grab, depress button with trigger finger before you lift the weapon at all or it won't work. Should work very well in a fight with a bad guy because it should prove harder for an assailant to steal your weapon. ( hopefully you already have it out before the fight. ) It is alittle bulky for ccw. but under a jacket it's fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but under a jacket it's fine. </div></div>

Well that's 10 months out of the year so I'm GTG...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These holsters have been outlawed from several shooting schools due to NDs associated with these holsters. </div></div>

such as??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">several shooting schools</div></div>

Which schools? Don't post that kind of vague statement unless you're going to back it up with facts.

And welcome to the 'hide...

The Serpa is a great holster and a tool like anything else. Learn to use it properly before using it in the field.

I guess no system is universally liked, and it seems like the more popular something like this gets, the more some people find issue with it.

Mine will be getting here in a few days (thanks Donnie/fpdsniper) I'll see what I think, and report back once I've had some field use...

Hoping it was just the factory seconds ammo!!! I'm ordering a complete spring kit for it just in case, as this will be my primary CCW.... If I can't get her to 100% performance.... she will go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpdsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Serpa as my plainclothes detective position everyday. I love the thing. Reasonable price (Yes, I carry them) good retention with an easy draw, and it is a BITCH to get the holster off your pants without disrobing first! (This is a good thing) I really believe that some people may have heard an internet commando make some kind of comment about the trigger finger causing some safety issue on the draw, but I have never experience it. My trigger finger is right where is supposed to be when drawing my weapon. I'm gonna get these listed on my website this weekend while I'm thinking about it. Good kit, IMHO.

Donnie </div></div>

So if someone's experiences and opinions do not mirror yours then that makes them in your words "an Internet commando" - quite a bold position to take for a VENDOR trying to hock his stuff on the same Internet.

Serpas have been proven to fail in some environments and malfunction due to a bad design or quality control or both. That is not Internet Commando Lore - that is fact.

Here's hoping the ammo change and/or the new spring do the job for you. I really like my duty piece like I said in your thread...

To clariy Crash's statement, Tactica lResponse in Camden Tenn. bans the use of the Serpa. I bought one and while I like the security of having the pistol locked, and have no problem with the finger of the trigger, I have stopped useing it becausee I find with my 1911 about 1/2 the time my thumb was releasing the safetyon the draw...sooner or later this will hurt you. It may not be an issue with other pistols....I'd advise buy one and passs it around to your group...Goldie

I dont like or trust them.

I saw several M9s get dropped over in the desert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpdsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Serpa as my plainclothes detective position everyday. I love the thing. Reasonable price (Yes, I carry them) good retention with an easy draw, and it is a BITCH to get the holster off your pants without disrobing first! (This is a good thing) I really believe that some people may have heard an internet commando make some kind of comment about the trigger finger causing some safety issue on the draw, but I have never experience it. My trigger finger is right where is supposed to be when drawing my weapon. I'm gonna get these listed on my website this weekend while I'm thinking about it. Good kit, IMHO.

Donnie </div></div>

So if someone's experiences and opinions do not mirror yours then that makes them in your words "an Internet commando" - quite a bold position to take for a VENDOR trying to hock his stuff on the same Internet.

Serpas have been proven to fail in some environments and malfunction due to a bad design or quality control or both. That is not Internet Commando Lore - that is fact. </div></div>

Nope, not at all. But when someone makes that type of a claim, they should be able to produce the source of this information to show that there may be some credibility to what they are saying, and not just repeating what they heard on a website or in a gun store. If you disagree, that's fine with me. Just because I'm a VENDOR as you put like it's some sort of dirty word, doesn't mean I don't have any knowledge/experience with what I'm talking about.

Donnie

I use the serpa on the drop leg platform. Very comfortable and easy to draw. I did notice while running it did feel as if the gun was a bit loose. I have never had the gun fall out of the holster but for peace of mind I did add a bungy retention cord. It very slightly slows draw time but no more than a normal holster with retention strap. I love the draw with trigger finger being right where it is supposed to be on the slide. To each his own, my 2 cents.

I use the serpa for both off duty and on duty. I carry a Sig P220 45cal off duty and a p226 357 sig on duty and it works fine for both. I use the same holster on duty in a leg drop and had no problems with its use.
I just got done with a 3 day tactical hand gun course and had no problems at all. The course was pretty rough and we where down on the ground, running,jumping and moving thru obsticals and did a lot of hard training and I had no failures or mishaps. I think its user friendly and a very secure option for a holster of its type.
thats my 2cents worth.

I have a serpa for a P226/P220 and have not used it extensively I will admit. Its not a bad holster and its release is pretty instinctive.

However, I can see where some consider it unsafe. When you have pressure on the release by the trigger finger, without a lot of practice or thought, I can see where the finger, still putting pressure against the holster, could slip into the trigger when the gun clears the holster. Probably not a big deal on a DA/SA gun like the Sig as the first pull is so long and heavy, but on something like a Glock, especially a lightened trigger Glock, it could create a problem.

I just signed up for a course with Tactial Response and they very explicitly say they do not allow the serpa in their courses. Here is their reasoning from their FAQ:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no Serpa holsters?
An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote “Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.” End Quote</div></div>

wore a SERPA thigh rig almost daily for a 13 month deployment. No issues. Fast on the draw. Never had an issue with retention. (this was with an M9 model) only issue is they are an open holster. Now for the people in my unit who cleaned there guns once a month that was an issue. Not for me. After that I purchased 3 other serpas, 1911, 226, Smith 5 shot revolver one. No issues with any of them at all. Yes they are a bit harsh on gun finish if ur weapon is anything other than SS. I dont mind. All my guns are working guns. I would/have trusted SERPAs under a lot of different situations, have never had one fail me, would not hesitate to suggest one for a friend.

as far as the trigger finger issue, never had an issue. Perfect practice makes perfect. Removed a loaded M9 probably in excess of 600 times from the holster. Both under stress and in calm situations, no ND.

beware that in snow, if you end up on the ground for some reason, enough can pack behind the release to slow/restrict/prevent it from releasing - I borrowed one and tried it to confirm myself before believing it - it's rare and hard to replicate, but it can be done.

other than unusual circumstances like that, it seems like a decent rig.

4qt0rn.jpg

Haven't shot myself yet, but I'm still working on it
smile.gif

My Serpa came in the mail yesterday (Thanks Donnie) and I gotta say that I like it so far. I ran dry fire drills from concealed last night for about an hour in front of the TV (Red Dawn) after I got off duty and it functioned perfectly. I'm GTG.
smile.gif

I don't care what anyone sez, I dig the Serpa, that is all I use and I have never had an issue.

I run from the belt like above, the drop leg rig, and with the $7 MOLLE attachment to put on my kit and they always work great for me.

given any number of variables you can find issue with anything, but they're cheap and effective not to mention you can get them almost anywhere for everything... I like the choice.

I took my new holster out yesterday after work since the weather was so nice and ran 250 rounds through the weapon. Double taps drawing from conealed (under a jacket) from 15 yards. I'm now a believer. It's by far the smoothest, fastest-drawing concealment holster I've ever used. I'll probably run another 250 rounds or so before I'll carry it out, but initial impression is very good.

I have one for my H&K USP and I love it. It takes some practice drawing from it but it is second nature now. The retention is great I weigh about 170 and my buddy tried pulling the gun out to see if it would fail and I was off the grond and the gun was still in the holster. I would reccommend the blackhawk serpa to anyone.