• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors blackhawk serpa

Re: blackhawk serpa

Our agency issues them. The Level 2 paddle for EDC and the Level 3 Tactical on our tac rigs (we just transition trained from Level 2 Tac to Level 3). We have had several of the "paddles" (the paddle only, not the holster)break in the top bend.
I have found that by slightly rounding off the retention hook on the paddle itself it eliminates this problem. The breakage is a result of the "hook" on the paddle imbedding under the hem of your pants. When you roll the holster forward to remove it it puts the paddle in a bind. As far as failures I am not aware of any of the holsters failing, only the paddle breaking.
Zero issues with the Level 2 and Level 3 Tac rigs.

Just bought the CQB for my SIG 229/.40. Taking it up to the Sig Sauer Academy for Extreme Close Quarters Battle Course / 2 Days this wekend. I'm usually a leather guy when it comes to holsters i.e. Galco, DeSantis and Safariland, but I'm gonna put the holster, the weapon and most importantly, myself through the paces. Did a dry run with my UNLOADED Sig and the holster seems to perform as described. Plan on bringing a backup Safariland leather, if the Serpa fails.
I'll follow up with a report on my return.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpdsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Serpa as my plainclothes detective position everyday. I love the thing. Reasonable price (Yes, I carry them) good retention with an easy draw, and it is a BITCH to get the holster off your pants without disrobing first! (This is a good thing) I really believe that some people may have heard an internet commando make some kind of comment about the trigger finger causing some safety issue on the draw, but I have never experience it. My trigger finger is right where is supposed to be when drawing my weapon. I'm gonna get these listed on my website this weekend while I'm thinking about it. Good kit, IMHO.

Donnie </div></div>

Just ran across this from Gabe...FWIW...BTDT kind of trainer

#1 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Gabe Suarez
Suarez International Infidel Warlord Join Date: Sep 2003

The Serpa Holster - Why We Don't Allow Them In Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so.

I am aware of five situations where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen in it force on force.

If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it Yeager at Tactical Response disallows them too.
[email protected]
Office 928-776-4492

There are more examples of this occurancein the SERPA thread on warriortalk.

Just passing this along.
Wes

"causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol"

See that's just not right. The way it's designed is your finger lays flat across the button like it's supposed to along the frame above the trigger. If someone's pushing the button with the tip of their finger they're going to be drawing the weapon with their finger on the trigger and need to be slapped upside the head...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol"

See that's just not right. The way it's designed is your finger lays flat across the button like it's supposed to along the frame above the trigger along the frame. If someone's pushing the button with the tip of their finger they're going to be drawing their weapon with their finger on the trigger and need to be slapped upside the head... </div></div>

Bingo! You don't use your finger tip!

if you pull the trigger when you draw it, its because you are not using it correctly.

that like saying that its the gun's fault because you shot yourself in the leg.

a couple blurry pics to demonstrate-
serpa.jpg

grabbing the pistol, a glock 23, release button depressed.

serpa2.jpg

pistol drawn, finger in the same place as it was

I have one for My HK45..........no issues. I had heard from an Officer in Another Citys Department that they had seen issues with sand in the mechanism, causing the pistol to be retained in the holster but it was third hand. I continue to have confidence in mine until I 'see' otherwise.

I run my P2kSK in a modified XD BH SERPA. No flop, tight fit, positive engagement and have experienced zero issues with drawing when done properly. Even drawing with my finger crooked (obviously not proper) my finger tip drops directly to the right side pivot of the ambi slide release and not through the trigger guard. Now that could be due to the dimensions of my gun and its alignment in an altered holster not specifically designed for my gun. But it appears to my non-professional eye that anybody experiencing an accidental discharge while drawing from a BH SERPA is not properly utilizing the tool in question. IE not a tool malfunction, but a malfunction of the Tool...
whistle.gif
If you get my meaning...

Byte

dunno who said it but ur right, u dont use the tip of your finger to unlock the holster, you use pretty much the joint on your first knuckle, worked for me so far.

You know what... if you like, use it. I love the ones I've used. And to be honest, I bet we could find more than a few people that have some problem with just about every product on the market... and for good reason. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is universal.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but check out LA Police Gear. Great company with good deals on all things BlackHawk.

I have concerns with a 1911 as there is no strap between the slide and hammer. Being such an open holster I worry about no strap and an ambi safety - just a tad too much risk for me. (Yes, I'm an older world guy but gray hair should count for something).

OTOH I really do like the Serpa for the M9.

We are issued SERPA's for our 1911's and SIG's (Both of which have now been exchanged for glocks). I have had ZERO issue with this holster. I believe that the secret to sucess is being 10% more intelligent then the item you are messing with. That said I really cannot see how this rig could enable the user to encure an ND. My only problem is that BHI has not brought out a weapon mounted light holster for systems other than their own.

I have seen the results from the Serpa ND. The wound was not life threatening, but was millimeters from being worse. They have been banned from all my classes as well.

Try the 5.11 Tactical "Thumb Drive" holster. Same idea of an easy, single button release but you're not using your trigger finger. I work Corrections so when I'm armed, my gear doesn't go through the same work load as a street peace officer. But I've had absolutely no issues with this holster.

I have a 5.11 thumb drive for my Glock 35, I like it alot and have had no issues with retention or ease of draw, I just shot a IDPA style match with it today, from buzzer to first round most were less than 2 seconds.

I got a serpa for my beretta a few weeks back and I absolutely love it, next handgun I get will have a serpa to match it.