• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

BlackHills Brass question!

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    I have a shit TON of 308 BlackHills once fired match brass. I started to try to use my primer uniformer on it last night, and its an absolute BITCH to do with this brass. Do they do something different with it?

Have others seen this?

Re: BlackHills Brass question!

Black Hills Brass is made by Winchester. And I have have personally never had any problems using a primer pocket uniformer with either Black Hills or Winchester brass. What kind of problem are you having?

James

I use the Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer in a drill. Works just fine.

If your uniformer is tight, I'd check dimensions before you potentially oversize the brass.

Use a neck chamfer tool to bevel the primer edge slightly. I was doing about 500 of BHA that a friend needed reloading and found that seating/starting primers was darn near impossible, after beveling (DOES NOT AFFECT TOTAL INTERIOR of Pocket !!) everything was G2G !

most of the salty don't even bother jackin with the primer pockets......just jock'em up and run 'em till the necks split

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont understand the question? </div></div>

Are you cleaning the carbon out of the primer pocket before uniforming, or are you using a steel cutting to remove carbon build-up?

May not be your problem, but the carbon is hard on a steel cutter. Holland makes a carbon removal tool that works well from a drill. Better yet, replace the steel cutter with a carbide cutter and save a step.

just send me all the brass, and you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    I haven't had any problems with the same setup, but i use the carbide uniformer.

Put it on your drill the first time.

In fact I think I did it that way EVERY time, just don't ape it in there.

I never had any problems, I bought a russ haydon carbide tipped uniformer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon Super Swage. Press the crimp back into the shell. </div></div>

This ^. BH Brass has a crimped primer pocket. I use the Dillon Super Swage also, quick and easy.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Black Hills brass is poop. Primer holes are not in the center are not round etc.

</div></div>

If you don't want it send it my way. If it'll hold an x ring at 600 yards I don't care if the hole is square. PS. BHA brass is WCC military brass.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Holland carbon removal tool!!!!</span></span></span></span></span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike107</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon Super Swage. Press the crimp back into the shell. </div></div>

This ^. BH Brass has a crimped primer pocket. I use the Dillon Super Swage also, quick and easy.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

I found some of my BHA Match 308 brass with a red ring around the primer pocket. (A crimped primer doesn't display a ring like that, right?)

Some doesn't have the red ring. I use the sinclair uniformer and it works fine, feels fine, looks great, but when I try to seat a BR2 primer with a Lee Autoprimer, they don't want to go in. So i push them hard and they go in, but it doesn't feel right. How deep is too deep? How do you measure the depth? How do you know if the anvil is crushed?

Probably crimped. You need to swage/ream them, then use the uniformer. At least that's what I do, use a little hand tool to remove the crimp then the RCBS uniformer. As far as crushing the anvil I'd think you'd hear "bang" before you squashed it.

While I haven't seen it in BHA cases, What FastFord is experiencing sure sounds like crimped primers. The only thing that will prevent destroying primers trying to reload those is either a swager like Dillon's or a reamer like RCBS makes.

I just adopted around 550 once fired Federal match cases and easily 2/3ds of them were swaged. Virtually all of which came from GMM 175 ammo, fired in the same rifle!

Go figure!

Glad I have my Dillon 600 Super Swage!
    Super_Swage_600_m.jpg