• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Blade re-grind help

benwitt11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
SE MN
Hi all, looking for some help on a knife I have. My grandpa passed recently, and left me his home tool boxes and tools. In a drawer was this knife. It’s clearly a home built job, of some sort of stainless. It’s had a rough life living as a shop tool and being stored without a sheath.

The thing is a bit of a beast, but fits my hand well, and I’d like to use it. A friend made a simple sheath that holds it well, but the blade grind is really not great.

There’s ample material to work with, looking for some recommendations of someone who could take the blade down to a more useful grind and taper. Thank you.
7FCFAA59-2821-4342-8C4E-415B14CD57BD.jpeg
49452B83-3A03-4C8C-8633-5DB4903D0628.jpeg
EBAF4570-C02C-453A-B9F9-6B27D3A17E5F.jpeg
93420587-16CC-45DE-A5FB-CE0EB33202A3.jpeg

is it a chisel grind? Like a right handed sushi knife?

Flat on one side and all bevel on the other?

How will you use the knife? Fine edge 16 degree or utility with a 25 degree blade?
all-knife-grinds.jpg

If you post your location in the thread title, it might help find someone local.

I would consider speaking to your local knife sharpener to see what they charge to reprofile the blade.

They have grinding jigs so its only 5-15 few minutes work....

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks for the reply. I’m just south of Minneapolis. Currently it’s a convex grind, looking to get it changed to a flat grind similar to my Cold Steel Master Hunter.

I plan to use it as a general purpose, larger game hunting knife, and carrying in the woods largely for sentimental reasons. It’s a large knife, with a shape suited to that task.

I guess I’m open to suggestions though, looking for someone who knows more than I do to make a recommendation based on use, then complete the task.

Find a local knife maker and look at what he sells and his reputation. If you like what they do ask how much it would be to get a new edge. I don't know anyone in your neck of the woods or I'd ask them for you.

Reactions: branson1369
is it a chisel grind? Like a right handed sushi knife?

Flat on one side and all bevel on the other?

How will you use the knife? Fine edge 16 degree or utility with a 25 degree blade?
all-knife-grinds.jpg

If you post your location in the thread title, it might help find someone local.

I would consider speaking to your local knife sharpener to see what they charge to reprofile the blade.

They have grinding jigs so its only 5-15 few minutes work....
That’s a great diagram. Is there a description of the pros/cons for each grind?

My grandfather always did a chisel grind as that’s what was taught to him a long time ago from a well known novaculite harvester. We are talking 1920s-30s. I know his and dad’s knives were sharp as hell. Even when dad got sick before he died every kitchen knife you could almost shave with.

I’d send it to bark river knives to be thinned out.

Find a local knife maker and look at what he sells and his reputation. If you like what they do ask how much it would be to get a new edge. I don't know anyone in your neck of the woods or I'd ask them for you.

Thanks for that suggestion. I’ve been looking and there are a few within the state. Still would have to ship it, but I’ve got some emails out.

That is likely some type of special purpose tool. It is doubtful it was intended as a cutting tool. I would learn more before re grinding it. Steel may not be compatible with a cutting edge.

Reactions: Changed
Don’t know if he’s still in business, but contact Krein Regrind for a full flat grind. Best in the business.