• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater Bladerunner - Decker a Replicant???

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
I was recently told that the bladerunner Decker, played by Harrison Ford, was actually a Replicant himself. Oh no, is this true ???
shocked.gif

Re: Bladerunner - Decker a Replicant???

I've heard this as well but if it's true he must have been a shitty replicant. That blonde one was kicking his ass all over the place.

Hmm, I could see that but why not just pick any character out of the movie and call them a replicant as well?

I like the movie but I think it's really weird.

See the director's cut version and you will see that he is a replicant.(hint=origami)

I would let Daryl Hanna kick my ass anytime...
wink.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7o0rvVxU0w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7o0rvVxU0w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hmmm... I always thought his partner made the origami to let him know he was there but didnt kill his girl.

Crap...now Ive gotta go back and watch the movie....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
video
</div></div>

I don't get it, how does a unicorn mean he's a replicant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Memory implant. </div></div>

Oh! I see!

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would let Daryl Hanna kick my ass anytime... </div></div>

Man I just saw her a few months ago, You would want all your shots current and maybe a flea collar
before going near her.

The book "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick is what Blade Runner was based on.

I think the central theme is what makes us human? If a machine can 'think' with a complexity such that it experiences emotions then is it 'alive'?

The 'false memories' are a nice touch too.

He's a Replicant. Replicants hold pictures in very high regard...as they are given pictures to solidify their memory implants. When decker was in his apartment at his piano he had about 1000 pictures all over. Another good example is when the big replicant was going back to his apartment after killing that blade runner just for his pictures and can't get em cuz the cops are there.

Gaff: You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you're through, huh?

Gaff: It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?

and he left the ? tinfoil Unicorn - (the unicorn dream that was cut from the original movie)

If your into Bladerunner check this book out,

Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner

In the book, no doubt.....

In the movie Scott frames the Decker character as a lens we look through in order to pass our own judgement on who lives and who dies. The love interest Racheal (Shawn Young) definitely pushes him in a moralistic direction as well as Roy (Rutger Hauer) who in the end expires-like "Tears in the Rain"

Tears in the Rain

Best Sci-Fi movie made IMHO. Incredible soundtrack as well.

The issue came up early in the movie. When Deckard goes to the Tyrel Corp. to test Racheal on the VK machine she asks him, "Have you ever tried that on yourself?" This begs the question, what is real?

Check out the anniversary 4 disc collection. It has some outstanding interviews with Ridley Scott and the rest of the cast. Scott pretty much spells it out in the final director's cut that Deckard is a replicant. However, Ford states in his interview that he feels the character works better if he is human. Personally, I like the idea of there being some ambiguity about the issue. Let the viewer decide.

One of the things that makes this one of the best SciFi movies ever is that it's a drama set in the future. Blade Runner asks some very important questions about who and what we are, as well as what defines us. It's not lost it's relevance either, especially with the rapid advancements that are being made in bio-engineering and artificial intelligence. It's also a great movie because it looks so fucking good! Every time I watch it I see something new. It's no wonder that it's listed as #35 on AMC's all time 100 best movies.

I read the story (and probably all the rest of Dick's popular work) several decades back, and have no clear recollection. I own the director's cut, and can get no clear sense either way. At best, there's only ambiguity and innuendo.

I think he's human.

The story line starts our with him living in retirement. As for as I can see, retirement for a replicant does not involve being alive. That's one of the central points of the story.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read the story (and probably all the rest of Dick's popular work) several decades back, and have no clear recollection. I own the director's cut, and can get no clear sense either way. At best, there's only ambiguity and innuendo.

I think he's human.

The story line starts our with him living in retirement. As for as I can see, retirement for a replicant does not involve being alive. That's one of the central points of the story.

Greg</div></div> He's a replicant. Niether he nor anyone else is supposed to know that; but I had always thought he was a replicant even before Ridley Scott came out and said it.