• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blaser R8 Damage

Notorium

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2018
Hello fellow shooters!

Got offered to purchase this Blaser R8 prof. And was hoping you guys could shed some light on what happened to the barrel and if it affects accuracy and life expectancy.
I'll post images below, the barrel seems to have had something toxic left on it for too long, do you think the crown is 100%?
20200804_003126.jpg
20200804_003039.jpg

Shoot it and find out. I imagine it will have no effect unless that corrosion is inside the bore as well. Most likely just cosmetic.

Shoot it and find out. I imagine it will have no effect unless that corrosion is inside the bore as well. Most likely just cosmetic.
Pulled the first shot, other two has good accuracy for my intentions. :)

Attachments

• 20200803_194521.jpg
    20200803_194521.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 80
Blaser barrels are nitride coated and extremely hard metal. They are hard to scratch, but may develop some small rust spots if left wet for a while but it easily cleans off and won't affect anything. This almost looks like suppressor damage from being stored with a suppressor on and not being cleaned or a lot of rounds fired. Was this rifle used a lot suppressed or perhaps muzzle braked?

In any case, the great thing with Blaser is you can buy a new caliber easily without needing a gunsmith. Or you can cut the barrel off and re-thread it. I have had a few of my Blaser barrels cut. Just make sure the gunsmith has worked on Blaser barrels and has the tooling to do it correctly. Again the steel is very hard and high quality and not all gunsmiths will want to mess with them.

Blood or salt water corrosion. Bore scope it. If corroded inside deduct price of new factory barrel.
If not corroded inside just deduct for esthetic damage and drive on.